anyURI resource types

Massimo Coletti
Hi,

I have a functional property in my ontology that will be used to store a
website address.

The property domain is xsd:string, but in my individuals owl file, I was
forced to code the property as xsd:anyURI, in order to avoid parsing errors.

If I use a single string widget in the form, everything looks ok, the
widget shows the 'anyURI' datatype.

If I try to use an 'ExternalResourceURLWidget' the page address is
highlighted in red, and the page is not loaded, this is an example of
how the URL is displayed in the widget:

~@anyURI http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=2003-0763

the string '~@anyURI' is added by Protege.

If I change the property domain to anyURI, I face two issues:

    * this datatype is not recognised by the DIG language used to invoke
      the reasoner;
    * I am not able to select the ExternalResourceURLWidget in the form

Some explanations will be appreciated.

What is the difference among ExternalResourceURLWidget and URLWidget ?

Cheers,

Massimo

Re: anyURI resource types

Nick Drummond
Massimo,

The xsd datatypes are just that - a string value (that may or may not
have constraints about how they are formed).
The external resource URL widget has been designed to be used to look at
instances of protege:ExternalResource (because they are resources, they
are referenced by an object property instead). It does additional checks
to make sure the URL has not already been used (and gets the value from
the resource's name.
The internal coding of the xsd:anyURI will have to be looked at - I'll
add it to the list.

Thanks

Nick

Massimo Coletti wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a functional property in my ontology that will be used to store
> a website address.
>
> The property domain is xsd:string, but in my individuals owl file, I
> was forced to code the property as xsd:anyURI, in order to avoid
> parsing errors.
>
> If I use a single string widget in the form, everything looks ok, the
> widget shows the 'anyURI' datatype.
>
> If I try to use an 'ExternalResourceURLWidget' the page address is
> highlighted in red, and the page is not loaded, this is an example of
> how the URL is displayed in the widget:
>
> ~@anyURI http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=2003-0763
>
> the string '~@anyURI' is added by Protege.
>
> If I change the property domain to anyURI, I face two issues:
>
>    * this datatype is not recognised by the DIG language used to invoke
>      the reasoner;
>    * I am not able to select the ExternalResourceURLWidget in the form
>
> Some explanations will be appreciated.
>
> What is the difference among ExternalResourceURLWidget and URLWidget ?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Massimo

Nick Drummond