assigning properties to implicit classes

assigning properties to implicit classes

Chris Fields
Hi All,

How does one assign a property-based restriction to an assertion represented by a superclass defined implicitly by a restriction?  I have many implicit superclasses with the form of assertions:

I want to further qualify such assertions.  So for example, if I assert of a class "computer" that it is a subclass of

implements-some-algorithm

how do I assign to this implicit class a further restriction

supportedBy-some-LiteratureCitation

that forces all such assertions to have some backing by a publication in the literature?  Is this possible with Protege'?

Thanks,

Chris

--
Chris Fields

Sonoma, CA
http://chrisfieldsresearch.com/

Re: assigning properties to implicit classes

Hi Chris,

You would usually do this kind of thing with axiom annotations.  If you say

Computer SubClassOf implements some Algorithm

then you add an axiom annotation to this assertion that points to the “evidence”.  In your case, supportedBy would be an annotation property  (possibly as a sub property of rdfs:see Also).

On 29 Mar 2014, at 20:34, Chris Fields <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hi Matthew,

Thanks.  I'm looking for "supportedBy" one the Create Annotation left-hand menu but only finding backwardCompatibleWith, comment, deprecated, incompatibleWith, isDefinedBy, label, priorVersion, seeAlso and versioninfo in that menu.

Am I looking in the wrong place, do I have the wrong Protege' version, or is there some way I can add supportedBy to this list of annotation types?

I'm a complete novice here, so I greatly appreciate your help!

Cheers,

Chris

On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 9:54 AM, Matthew Horridge <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

supportedBy isn’t a built in annotation property.  You would need to create this (possibly, as a sub-property of rdfs:seeAlso).

Click the @ button next to “implements some Algorithm” to add an axiom annotation.

In the box that pops up click the + button where it says Annotations.

Then add supportedBy as a sub property of see Also

Finally, type in your source (perhaps as and IRI using the IRI Editor tab).

When you’ve added the annotation, the @ button should be yellow like this

The supportedBy will now be in the list of annotation properties for future annotations.

What you’ve done is add an annotation to the axiom

Computer SubClassOf implements some Algorithm.

Hope this helps.

On 3 Apr 2014, at 10:06, Chris Fields <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Got it - thanks!  I hadn't seen how to extend the annotation properties.  It was right in front of me!  I just didn't see that tab.

Cheers,

Chris

On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 10:47 AM, Matthew Horridge <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

No problem!

On 3 Apr 2014, at 10:58, Chris Fields <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Matthew,

Got it - thanks!  I hadn't seen how to extend the annotation properties.  It was right in front of me!  I just didn't see that tab.

Cheers,

Chris

On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 10:47 AM, Matthew Horridge <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Chris,

supportedBy isn’t a built in annotation property.  You would need to create this (possibly, as a sub-property of rdfs:seeAlso).

Click the @ button next to “implements some Algorithm” to add an axiom annotation.

<PastedGraphic-2.png>

In the box that pops up click the + button where it says Annotations.

Then add supportedBy as a sub property of see Also

<PastedGraphic-3.png>

Finally, type in your source (perhaps as and IRI using the IRI Editor tab).

When you’ve added the annotation, the @ button should be yellow like this

<PastedGraphic-4.png>