can we query for concept names with SQWRL?

can we query for concept names with SQWRL?

Rajverma
Hi,

Suppose if I have the following SQWRL query:

Person(?x) ^ hasCar(?x, ?y) → sqwrl:select(?x, ?y)

This query fetches me Bob and E87, where E87 is the individual from the concept BMW...

Apart from the info with the above query, I also want to get the name of the concept (BMW) to which the individual belongs... how do I formulate that in SQWRL?

Cheers,
Raj

Re: can we query for concept names with SQWRL?

Martin O'Connor
SWRL and SQWRL are based on OWL-DL so you cannot directly talk about
classes in the language.

However, the ABox built-in library [1] provides methods to access this
information. With the abox:hasClass built-in you can write:

Person(?x) ^ hasCar(?x, ?y) ^ abox:hasClass(?y, ?c) → sqwrl:select(?x, ?y, ?c)

Martin

[1] http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SWRLABoxBuiltIns

Mudunuri, Venkata Rajashekar Varma wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Suppose if I have the following SQWRL query:
>
>Person(?x) ^ hasCar(?x, ?y) → sqwrl:select(?x, ?y)
>
>This query fetches me Bob and E87, where E87 is the individual from the concept BMW...
>
>Apart from the info with the above query, I also want to get the name of the concept (BMW) to which the individual belongs... how do I formulate that in SQWRL?
>
>Cheers,
>Raj

Re: can we query for concept names with SQWRL?

Rajverma
Thanks Martin... the query worked...

I have a confused question though... is it not the 'T'Box that has the terminological concepts(Classes) and 'A'Box with assertions(individuals/instances)!? I wonder why you call this separate built-in as ABox library when S(Q)WRL already works with ABox... wouldn't it sound more appropriate to call it TBox library, as we want to deal with and fetch the concepts from TBox?

Cheers,
Raj

SWRL and SQWRL are based on OWL-DL so you cannot directly talk about
classes in the language.

However, the ABox built-in library [1] provides methods to access this
information. With the abox:hasClass built-in you can write:

Person(?x) ^ hasCar(?x, ?y) ^ abox:hasClass(?y, ?c) → sqwrl:select(?x, ?y, ?c)

Martin

[1] http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SWRLABoxBuiltIns

Mudunuri, Venkata Rajashekar Varma wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Suppose if I have the following SQWRL query:
>
>Person(?x) ^ hasCar(?x, ?y) → sqwrl:select(?x, ?y)
>
>This query fetches me Bob and E87, where E87 is the individual from the concept BMW...
>
>Apart from the info with the above query, I also want to get the name of the concept (BMW) to which the individual belongs... how do I formulate that in SQWRL?
>
>Cheers,
>Raj

Re: can we query for concept names with SQWRL?

Thomas Russ

On Jun 4, 2009, at 4:41 AM, Mudunuri, Venkata Rajashekar Varma wrote:

> Thanks Martin... the query worked...
>
> I have a confused question though... is it not the 'T'Box that has
> the terminological concepts(Classes) and 'A'Box with
> assertions(individuals/instances)!? I wonder why you call this
> separate built-in as ABox library when S(Q)WRL already works with
> ABox... wouldn't it sound more appropriate to call it TBox library,
> as we want to deal with and fetch the concepts from TBox?

The class may exist in the TBox, but the connection between the
individual and its class is an ABox assertion.

The TBox library would contain relations like subclass, etc, that only
concern the TBox.

Re: can we query for concept names with SQWRL?

Rajverma
Thanks Thomas... ok, so, does it mean that it is not possible for SQWRL to query pure TBox queries like fetching subclasses of a class, or the classes that are defined using certain object-properties etc.? if SQWRL is not for TBox, then what is the best querying mechanism to extract info purely from the TBox?

Cheers,
Raj

On Jun 4, 2009, at 4:41 AM, Mudunuri, Venkata Rajashekar Varma wrote:

> Thanks Martin... the query worked...
>
> I have a confused question though... is it not the 'T'Box that has
> the terminological concepts(Classes) and 'A'Box with
> assertions(individuals/instances)!? I wonder why you call this
> separate built-in as ABox library when S(Q)WRL already works with
> ABox... wouldn't it sound more appropriate to call it TBox library,
> as we want to deal with and fetch the concepts from TBox?

The class may exist in the TBox, but the connection between the
individual and its class is an ABox assertion.

The TBox library would contain relations like subclass, etc, that only
concern the TBox.

Re: can we query for concept names with SQWRL?

Martin O'Connor
I don't think Thomas suggested that SQWRL does not support TBox queries.
The TBox built-in library has en extensive set of built-in for querying
with SQWRL.

http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SWRLTBoxBuiltIns

Martin