class-individual assertion

Varanka, Dalia
Hello
How can one assert a class with an individual in Protege?

I have a class of objects that are assigned a code.  I entered the code as an individual because each code is a member of a controlled vocabulary.  For example: Energy-related structures (Pipeline, PumpStation, etc) have code '750'.

This must be possible because each individual is  already assigned to a taxonomic class.  But, when I try to create assertions for individuals, it seems that only other individuals are allowed with a selected property.

Any ideas?
Dalia

--
Dalia Varanka
U.S. Geological Survey

Tel. 573.308.3897
ORCID: 0000-0003-2857-9600

Re: class-individual assertion

Lorenz Buehmann

Hi!

Is the code an individual or just a literal? If it's just a literal, then you have to add a data property assertion.

Maybe you can also show us some screenshots from your current data in Protege + the tabs where you tried something which didn't work as you'd expect?

On 16.09.19 22:32, Varanka, Dalia wrote:
[...]

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: convert look-up table to ontology: class-individual assertion

Varanka, Dalia
Thank you for your response, Lorenz.  Interesting suggestion - make the property to relate a category of structures to a code number a datatype property.  I did not do this because it seems like a code is a controlled vocabulary instead of a 'free-form' field. I may be wrong, so I am testing this as shown below.
FTypeCodes.PNG
The objective of this problem is to convert what was a look-up table in a relational table database to a better ontology form.  Each category of structures, such as 'Energy,'  was assigned a code and the code was related to a natural language label in a separate table.
To apply an object property, I am prompted for an individual to complete the triple (hard to see in such a small image)
Object Property Assertion.PNG

As a data property, I still only see how to assert a value to an individual, not a class.

image.png

 - Dalia

On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 12:34 AM Lorenz Buehmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: class-individual assertion

Varanka, Dalia
Michael, I did not know about punning.  (must read standard!)   Sounds like the right solution.  I'll give it a try.
With luck, I'll get it to work with Protege.
Many thanks!
Dalia