class or instance

Y.W.Yang
Hi,

I remember in Progete 3.0, there is a choice for "instance" or "class" at the interface of defining properties. However I can find it in Protege 3.1.

Is it removed or changed? Since I need to define properties whose range is referred to "class" instead of "instance".

Thanks,
Yanwu

Re: class or instance

Hai Wang
Hi Yanwu,
It has been removed since it is very confusing and should not be
there for OWL DL.

If you really want to put owl:class into the range, you need do make
it visible first, using the OWL preferences dialog.
OWL-> Preferences-> Visibility-->choose owl:Class.

Regards
Hai

On 30 Jan 2006, at 07:54, Y.W.Yang wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I remember in Progete 3.0, there is a choice for "instance" or
> "class" at the interface of defining properties. However I can find
> it in Protege 3.1.
>
> Is it removed or changed? Since I need to define properties whose
> range is referred to "class" instead of "instance".
>
> Thanks,
> Yanwu

Regards
Hai

Research Associate
Department of Computer Science
Kilburn Building
University of Manchester
Oxford Road
Manchester M13 9PL
UK
Homepage: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~hwang

Re: class or instance

Y.W.Yang
Hello Hai,

Thanks for your reply. I followed these operations, and added owl:Class to the range of one property. But I can not add a class to the property at the "Individuals" interface. Could you tell me how to manage that? Thanks.

Best regards,
Yanwu

>Hi Yanwu,
>It has been removed since it is very confusing and should not be
>there for OWL DL.
>

>If you really want to put owl:class into the range, you need do make
>it visible first, using the OWL preferences dialog.
>OWL-> Preferences-> Visibility-->choose owl:Class.
>
>Regards
>Hai
>

>On 30 Jan 2006, at 07:54, Y.W.Yang wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I remember in Progete 3.0, there is a choice for "instance" or
>> "class" at the interface of defining properties. However I can find
>> it in Protege 3.1.
>>
>> Is it removed or changed? Since I need to define properties whose
>> range is referred to "class" instead of "instance".
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Yanwu
>
>Regards
>Hai
>

>Research Associate
>Department of Computer Science
>Kilburn Building
>University of Manchester
>Oxford Road
>Manchester M13 9PL
>UK
>Homepage: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~hwang

>.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Y.W.Yang
[hidden email]
2006-01-31

Re: class or instance

Y.W.Yang
Hello Hai,

I did that and indeed all the defined classes become instances of the owl:Class. Yet, I can not add a defined class to a property at the individual interface. Could you please give me some details? Thanks a lot.

Best regards,
Yanwu

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

> [...]

> [hidden email]
> 2006-01-31

> subscribe.html

Regards
Hai

Research Associate
Department of Computer Science
Kilburn Building
University of Manchester
Oxford Road
Manchester M13 9PL
UK
Homepage: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~hwang

Re: class or instance

Hai Wang

> Thanks Hai,
>
> The version on my PC is 3.1.1. It seems that, on this version the
> only way to deal with that is to set owl:Class as range of a given
> property. Then at the instance level, it's possible to set the
> property's range with any class. Is that the way you deal with that

Hi ,
Another way to do it will be using meta classes.  i.e. create a
subclass of
owl:Class and then make this the range of the property, then make
the owl classes you want to included in the range of the property an
instance of this meta class.
Regards
Hai