connecting clients with multi-user mode

Thomas Amundsen
Hi,

I have a server up and running, but I can't seem to run a client from a
separate machine. I am unsure of whether or not I am specifying the host
machine name correctly.

I am giving it:

hostname.primary-dns-suffix

Is that correct?

ontology server

Samir Fertas

Hi everyone,

i would know, is protege able to manage several ontologies, like a server of
ontologies,

and , can we change the ways of developping ontologies and manage them in
protege without any problems. i will create a spatial ontology for GIS
application, can you provide me documentation about this

thanks for all

Samir

Re: ontology server

Marc Clin-2
Hi Samir,

Sorry, but i can't answer your question about the server ability of Protégé
(not sure I understood it anyway).
However about GIS and Protégé, I can provide you somme links : first take a
look at this plugin [1], you can also found more if you visit the authors'
site.
You could also try [2] to find GIS ontologies.

Hope it helps.

[1] : http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?IntelligentGIS
[2] : http://swoogle.umbc.edu/

2006/5/11, Samir Fertas <[hidden email]>:

> Hi everyone,
>
> i would know, is protege able to manage several ontologies, like a server
> of
> ontologies,
>
> and , can we change the ways of developping ontologies and manage them in
> protege without any problems. i will create a spatial ontology for GIS
> application, can you provide me documentation about this
>

> thanks for all
>
> Samir

Marc Clin
IS Student
4, impasse des Roses
77183 Croissy Beaubourg
FRANCE
0625054435
+0033164110627

Re: ontology server

Samir Fertas

Hi mark,

thank you for the links , i find them very interesting for my project

about protege, i mean, if it is able to connecte several ontologies and do
operations betweens them? cause i think relate GIS ontologies to do queries and
changes....is it possible?

i read once, that ontolingua is a an ontology server ...is it?

thanks for all

Samir

Selon Marc Clin <[hidden email]>, 11.05.2006:

> Hi Samir,
>
> Sorry, but i can't answer your question about the server ability of Protégé
> (not sure I understood it anyway).
> However about GIS and Protégé, I can provide you somme links : first take a
> look at this plugin [1], you can also found more if you visit the authors'
> site.
> You could also try [2] to find GIS ontologies.
>
> Hope it helps.
>
> [1] : http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?IntelligentGIS
> [2] : http://swoogle.umbc.edu/
>
> 2006/5/11, Samir Fertas <[hidden email]>:
> >

> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > i would know, is protege able to manage several ontologies, like a server
> > of
> > ontologies,
> >
> > and , can we change the ways of developping ontologies and manage them in
> > protege without any problems. i will create a spatial ontology for GIS
> > application, can you provide me documentation about this
> >

> > thanks for all
> >
> > Samir

> Marc Clin
> IS Student
> 4, impasse des Roses
> 77183 Croissy Beaubourg
> FRANCE
> 0625054435
> +0033164110627

Re: ontology server

samsontu

See http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?MultiUserTutorial

to find out how to set up Protege as a multi-user, multi-ontology server.

Samson

Samir Fertas wrote:

> Hi mark,
>
> thank you for the links , i find them very interesting for my project
>
> about protege, i mean, if it is able to connecte several ontologies and do
> operations betweens them? cause i think relate GIS ontologies to do queries and
> changes....is it possible?
>
> i read once, that ontolingua is a an ontology server ...is it?
>

> thanks for all
>
> Samir
>

> Selon Marc Clin <[hidden email]>, 11.05.2006:
>

>>Hi Samir,
>>
>>Sorry, but i can't answer your question about the server ability of Protégé
>>(not sure I understood it anyway).
>>However about GIS and Protégé, I can provide you somme links : first take a
>>look at this plugin [1], you can also found more if you visit the authors'
>>site.
>>You could also try [2] to find GIS ontologies.
>>
>>Hope it helps.
>>
>>[1] : http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?IntelligentGIS
>>[2] : http://swoogle.umbc.edu/
>>
>>2006/5/11, Samir Fertas <[hidden email]>:
>>

>>>Hi everyone,
>>>
>>>i would know, is protege able to manage several ontologies, like a server
>>>of
>>>ontologies,
>>>
>>>and , can we change the ways of developping ontologies and manage them in
>>>protege without any problems. i will create a spatial ontology for GIS
>>>application, can you provide me documentation about this
>>>

>>>thanks for all
>>>
>>>Samir

>>--
>>Marc Clin
>>IS Student
>>4, impasse des Roses
>>77183 Croissy Beaubourg
>>FRANCE
>>0625054435
>>+0033164110627

Samson Tu                    email: [hidden email]
Senior Research Scientist    web: www.stanford.edu/~swt/
Stanford University          fax: 1-650-725-7944

Re: ontology server

Samir Fertas

Hi Tu,

what about query language on the server, is it like others. like oracle with
SQL, and what client use to display his results??

Thanks

samir

Selon Samson Tu <[hidden email]>, 11.05.2006:

> See http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?MultiUserTutorial
>
> to find out how to set up Protege as a multi-user, multi-ontology server.
>
> Samson
>
> Samir Fertas wrote:
> >
> > Hi mark,
> >
> > thank you for the links , i find them very interesting for my project
> >
> > about protege, i mean, if it is able to connecte several ontologies and do
> > operations betweens them? cause i think relate GIS ontologies to do queries
> and
> > changes....is it possible?
> >
> > i read once, that ontolingua is a an ontology server ...is it?
> >

> > thanks for all
> >
> > Samir
> >

> > Selon Marc Clin <[hidden email]>, 11.05.2006:
> >

> >>Hi Samir,
> >>
> >>Sorry, but i can't answer your question about the server ability of
> Protégé
> >>(not sure I understood it anyway).
> >>However about GIS and Protégé, I can provide you somme links : first take
> >>look at this plugin [1], you can also found more if you visit the authors'
> >>site.
> >>You could also try [2] to find GIS ontologies.
> >>
> >>Hope it helps.
> >>
> >>[1] : http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?IntelligentGIS
> >>[2] : http://swoogle.umbc.edu/

> >>--
> >>Marc Clin
> >>IS Student
> >>4, impasse des Roses
> >>77183 Croissy Beaubourg
> >>FRANCE
> >>0625054435
> >>+0033164110627

> Samson Tu                    email: [hidden email]
> Senior Research Scientist    web: www.stanford.edu/~swt/
> Stanford Medical Informatics phone: 1-650-725-3391
> Stanford University          fax: 1-650-725-7944

Re: ontology server

samsontu

Sorry, I mis-read your original question. Protege server does not
support queries across multiple ontologies. You have to select one at a
time. The Protege application, when connected to a Protege server,
allows you to select, access, and display the content of an ontology on
the server.

Samson

--
Samson Tu                    email: [hidden email]
Senior Research Scientist    web: www.stanford.edu/~swt/
Stanford University          fax: 1-650-725-7944

Re: connecting clients with multi-user mode

Thomas Amundsen

I have definitely found the correct DNS name, but my client will still not connect to the server. I have pinged the server from the client machine and it worked.

When I go to connect, it waits like 15 seconds then says it couldn't connect. This doesn't happen when I give it a bad DNS name, only when I give the real DNS name for my server.

Does anyone know what could be going wrong, and how I might go about fixing it.

P.S. - I am running Protégé_3.1.1

Re: connecting clients with multi-user mode

samsontu

Do you have a firewall between client and server machines? The RMI and
server ports may not be available to the client. Also, are you using
Linux? I haven't used Protege server for a while. Once upon a time, you
need add a java property when you start the server on Linux.

   -Djava.rmi.server.hostname=<your_fully_qualified_host_name_here> ...

Search Protege discussion archive for some past messages:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.misc.ontology.protege.general/4592/match=protege+server+port
Samson

Thomas Amundsen wrote:

> I have definitely found the correct DNS name, but my client will still not connect to the server. I have pinged the server from the client machine and it worked.
>
> When I go to connect, it waits like 15 seconds then says it couldn't connect. This doesn't happen when I give it a bad DNS name, only when I give the real DNS name for my server.
>
> Does anyone know what could be going wrong, and how I might go about fixing it.
>
> P.S. - I am running Protégé_3.1.1

Hi Samson;

if Protege is open source, then we can configure it to support multi query , No?

is there any problem?

Thanks

samir

Selon Samson Tu <[hidden email]>, 12.05.2006:

> Sorry, I mis-read your original question. Protege server does not
> support queries across multiple ontologies. You have to select one at a
> time. The Protege application, when connected to a Protege server,
> allows you to select, access, and display the content of an ontology on
> the server.
>
> Samson
>

> Samir Fertas wrote:
> > Hi Tu,
> >
> > what about query language on the server, is it like others. like oracle
> with
> > SQL, and what client use to display his results??
> >

> > Thanks
> >
> > samir
> >

> > Selon Samson Tu <[hidden email]>, 11.05.2006:
> >

> >>See http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?MultiUserTutorial
> >>
> >>to find out how to set up Protege as a multi-user, multi-ontology server.
> >>
> >>Samson

> queries
> >>
> >>and

> --
> Samson Tu                    email: [hidden email]
> Senior Research Scientist    web: www.stanford.edu/~swt/
> Stanford Medical Informatics phone: 1-650-725-3391
> Stanford University          fax: 1-650-725-7944

Re: connecting clients with multi-user mode

Thomas Amundsen

I am on Windows and there is no firewall between the two machines.

Thomas Amundsen wrote:

> I have definitely found the correct DNS name, but my client will still not connect to the server. I have pinged the server from the client machine and it worked.
>
> When I go to connect, it waits like 15 seconds then says it couldn't connect. This doesn't happen when I give it a bad DNS name, only when I give the real DNS name for my server.
>
> Does anyone know what could be going wrong, and how I might go about fixing it.
>
> P.S. - I am running Protégé_3.1.1

Tania Tudorache

Thomas,

is the server running? Please look in the server console to see if you
got any exceptions at start-up. If you see the message "INFO: Protege
server ready to accept connections..." this is OK.

Then, when starting the client, select Open projects, then select the
Server project type and give in the "Host Machine Name" field the IP
address of the server. You also need to specify the user name and
password that you have setup in the metaproject file. Please tell us in
case of error, what error you get, and look in the client and server
console for exceptions.

Another thing that might cause problems, is that sometimes people forget
to set up the correct CODEBASE_URL in the run_protege_server.bat. Mine
looks like this:

set
CODEBASE_URL=file:/c:/Documents%%20and%%20Settings/ttania/Protege/Protege_3.2_b318/protege.jar

Please send us the information that I mentioned before so that we can
help you further.

Tania

Thomas Amundsen wrote:

>I am on Windows and there is no firewall between the two machines.

Wow, I feel dumb. I was using the DNS name, not the IP address the entire time, and that was why it wasn't working... The FAQ said DNS name, so I figured they meant the IP address wouldn't work.

Well thanks!

Thomas Amundsen wrote:

>I am on Windows and there is no firewall between the two machines.

Well, the DNS name should also work. I tested it with my full DNS name:

    myComputerName.stanford.edu

and it works. I suppose that if your DNS server is configured correclty,
it should work for you, too.

Tania

Thomas Amundsen wrote:

>Wow, I feel dumb. I was using the DNS name, not the IP address the entire time, and that was why it wasn't working... The FAQ said DNS name, so I figured they meant the IP address wouldn't work.
>
>Well thanks!

Re: ontology server

Tania Tudorache

Samir,

you can modify Protege source code, but you will have to be aware of the
Mozilla Public License. You can read about this in our FAQ section:
http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/faq.html#08.04

I did not understand your previous question exactly, but it is very
unlikely that you will have to modify Protege source code. If you give
us a little more details about your problem, we could give you more
suggestions on how you could solve it.

Tania