converting file question

Leila Kiani
Hi everyone,
I have a question for you.
I need to upload my file (xml/skos) to desktop web Protege. I tried many times but it doesn't bring the classified thesaurus that I have in the file. It just gives me Individuals numbers, not even the terms that I have. Could you please help me in this?
THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Re: converting file question

Michael DeBellis-2
Leila, first just to clarify terminology: there is no such thing as "desktop web protege". There is the desktop version of Protege (which I think is what you meant) and there is Web Protege which is a hosted version that can be used on the Stanford server or can also be downloaded and installed on your own server for a team to work on. The main differences are that the desktop version supports reasoners and (as of now) Web Protege doesn't and Web Protege has some collaboration features to support multiple people commenting on and editing an ontology that aren't in the desktop version.

I'm not very familiar with SKOS but I don't think there is an XML/SKOS format that supports the full capabilities of OWL. On the current desktop version of Protege there are (you can see this by doing "Save As" and look at the various formats available in the drop down menu) OWL/XML, RDF/XML, Turtle, OWL Functional Syntax, Manchester OWL Syntax,  OBO Format, LaTex syntax, and JSON-LD.

My guess is that what is happening is that Protege can only recognize the individuals in your file but not classes. Perhaps if you can find a way to export your SKOS file into one of the supported formats then Protege could read the complete file.

I'm not sure how current this is but I see on this page: https://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/vocabs  that SKOS supports RDF/XML so if you can export your file into that format then Protege should be able to read it. This is also a bit dated but I found this message in the Protege mailing list archive that might be relevant: http://protege-project.136.n4.nabble.com/Protege-s-SKOS-Strategy-td4669571.html

Michael

On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 7:57 AM Leila Kiani <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi everyone,
I have a question for you.
I need to upload my file (xml/skos) to desktop web Protege. I tried many times but it doesn't bring the classified thesaurus that I have in the file. It just gives me Individuals numbers, not even the terms that I have. Could you please help me in this?
THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Re: converting file question

Leila Kiani
Michael,

Thank you so much for your great information and sorry for misusing Protege application's name.

I will definitely work on your email and if I saw any problem I will get back to you.
THANKS A LOT!
Best, Leila.