create ontology form an existing database

create ontology form an existing database

shreyes
I have a mysql database called cadastre which contains a table called as plots.
the plots table cosists of the following attributes
1.plot_id (primary key)
2.owner name
3.landuse
4.area

Now i have to create an ontology where the above attributes of the table plots, are classes.
i want to create relationships and restrictions.
the database tuples must be instances of the above attributes.

I will be writing rules in SWRL
for example: Plot(?p) ∧ Area(?area) ∧ has_area(?p, ?area) ∧ swrlb:lessThanOrEqual(?area, 27) →  tax(tax_slab1)
i want to define a class named tax.
where there are 5 tax slabs which may be sub class of the tax class.

so now my sqwrl queries
i want to know plot of plot_id xyz has area abc belongs to and the answer will be calculated according to the swrl queries and i will be getting a tax slab.

This is the idea of my objective. Please help with steps i should follow

thank you
--
shreyes shiv
email: [hidden email]

Re: create ontology form an existing database

Martin O'Connor
You can use DataMaster to import relational data into OWL:

http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/DataMaster

The SWRLTab's mathematical built-in library can be used for non-trivial mathematical expressions:

http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SWRLTabMathematicalBuiltIns#nidA4P, e.g.,

Circle(?c) ^ hasRadius(?c, ?r) ^ swrlm:eval(?circumference, "2 pi r", ?r) ->  sqwrl:select(?r, ?circumference)

Martin

On 3/7/2011 12:38 PM, shreyes shiv wrote:

> I have a mysql database called cadastre which contains a table called as plots.
> the plots table cosists of the following attributes
> 1.plot_id (primary key)
> 2.owner name
> 3.landuse
> 4.area
>
> Now i have to create an ontology where the above attributes of the table plots, are classes.
> i want to create relationships and restrictions.
> the database tuples must be instances of the above attributes.
>
> I will be writing rules in SWRL
> for example: Plot(?p) ∧ Area(?area) ∧ has_area(?p, ?area) ∧ swrlb:lessThanOrEqual(?area, 27) →  tax(tax_slab1)
> i want to define a class named tax.
> where there are 5 tax slabs which may be sub class of the tax class.
>
> so now my sqwrl queries
> i want to know plot of plot_id xyz has area abc belongs to and the answer will be calculated according to the swrl
> queries and i will be getting a tax slab.
>
> This is the idea of my objective. Please help with steps i should follow
>
> thank you
> --
> shreyes shiv
> email: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> phone: 9557975780
> IIRS(Indian Institute of Remote Sensing)
> No. 4, Kalidas Road, Dehradun-248001, Uttarakhand, India

Re: create ontology form an existing database

shreyes
can you elaborate how do i import the database.
i have read the datamaster article did not help much.
the steps to be followed the options to choose from etc

Re: create ontology form an existing database

ahtisham aslam
Hi,

Please try this:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dataonto/

Regards

can you elaborate how do i import the database.
i have read the datamaster article did not help much.
the steps to be followed the options to choose from etc

Re: create ontology form an existing database

Mujahid Masood
Have you configured Data master tab? If no open Protege 3.4.4..Go to Project ---->Configure---->Tick mark the Data master Tab. You will see 4 labels JDBC Driver Data master has built in support for MySql JDBC Driver. JDBC URL Here you give the link of your database you have created on Localhost:3306 Username: Most of the times it is root or the one you have given. Password:The password given by you while installing MySql. It will connect to the database you created showing all tables and Fields. hope it will be helpful to you. Mujahid Masood