describing a manufacturing process with classes put into chronological order by protege‏

describing a manufacturing process with classes put into chronological order by protege‏

bluejay
Dear all,

I am having difficulties to describe a manufacturing process with Protege 4.3. So far I have created classes and would like to put them into chronological order for the manufacturing process, where some classes's process would also overlap. As an example 'section 1' is followed by 'section 2' with 'controlling', overlapping the processes of 'section 1' and 'section 2'.

It's probably a simple task, but as a beginner of Protege I'm lost and would greatly appreciate advice!

Thanks in advance.

Re: describing a manufacturing process with classes put into chronological order by protege‏

Eddy Vanderlinden
This post was updated on .
Hi,
This is what I practice:
Describing processes is done by linking individuals in a class.
The individuals represent activities or events and bear properties as pre - conditions and post - conditions but also properties referring to the who, the what and the how for the activity/event.
The links are called 'is followed by ' with an inverse: 'is preceded by '.
The class bears the name of the process.

Executing processes is done on basis of a lifecycle analysis. Each lifecycle is represented by a subclass of the previous lifecycle. The individual process instances get classified by the reasoner on basis of the conditions specified at class level.
There can be several subclasses at the same level. That way gateways are represented. The conditions for membership of the classes shall determine the nature of the imaginary  gateway: inclusive, exclusive or parallel.

Description and execution are thus approached differently.

Hope it helps.

Best regards

Eddy

Re: describing a manufacturing process with classes put into chronological order by protege‏

bluejay
Thanks Eddie, it was very helpful. I still have some appreciation questions left.

If I understood it correctly, every process is represented by a class split up by individuals. How can you visualize repeated processes in different parts of the construction in protege? The only idea I can think of is having individuals each containing an element of the construction and linking them with the process by properties.

About the life-cycle I'm not quite sure what you mean. Does every life-cycle has to be a subclass of the one before? Is there a difference of the chronological order to have the following life-cylce as a sibling class to the previous life-cycle instead?

Re: describing a manufacturing process with classes put into chronological order by protege‏

resus
Hi Bluejay,

this is not a direct answer to your question but seeign what you are trying to model you may want to have a look at the Manufacturing Service Description Language ontology (MSDL: http://infoneer.txstate.edu/MSDL/)

As far as I know processes are not modelled to the level of detail you seem to require in the MSDL, but there should be a lot you can import/reuse/extend.

Best, Thomas