detail tutorials

Oluwande Adewoyin
Hello everyone, pls i need a very detail tutorial that covers defining classes, subclasses, object properties, data properties, property restrictions, SWRL writing, SQWRL writing and some java agent modelling.
thanks

--
ADEWOYIN OLUWANDE O.

Re: detail tutorials

Michael DeBellis-2
If you are in or can come to the SF Bay Area your best bet is to take the Stanford course that was just announced. If not then I would recommend:

1) Do the pizza tutorial. It’s the best overview I know of for general class, property, etc. development

2) Do the FHKB tutorial from Manchester. It gets into some of the more powerful things you can do with more complex DL definitions, property chains, subsumption of properties, etc.

3) Do my tutorial on process modeling with SWRL. It also shows how to use SQWRL to debug SWRL rules. It’s at: http://symbolicshacker.blogspot.com/2017/06/swrl-process-modeling-tutorial.html

I think that there is also a newer SWRL tutorial that is probably better than mine. I did mine as a very quick and dirty one because there wasn’t one for a while that was written with the latest version of Protege.  You should be able to find all those other tutorials searching with Google or on the Protege web site.

I think there may be some minor differences between the pizza and FHKB tutorials and the current Protege UI but if there are they are fairly trivial. I just reasoned them out (e.g, one I remember was that superclass was changed in the UI to SubclassOf. But if you get stuck  search the list archives, chances are good someone else got stuck on the same discrepancy, but if you can’t find the answer there feel free to ask the list, it’s what we are here for.  I’m pretty sure my tutorial is up to date but if you do it and find problems please reach out to me directly. My email is in the tutorial PDF. I may take a bit longer to respond because I’m in Vienna presenting a paper at Semantics 2018 but I’ll get back to you as soon as I can.

Also, I don’t think I ever got to the very end of the FHKB tutorial. Toward the end it does a lot of inferencing and possibly it was too much for my underpowered Mac or I was messing something up. But even getting mostly through it was very useful to me.

Michael

Sent from my iPad

On Sep 10, 2018, at 2:20 AM, Oluwande Adewoyin <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello everyone, pls i need a very detail tutorial that covers defining classes, subclasses, object properties, data properties, property restrictions, SWRL writing, SQWRL writing and some java agent modelling.
thanks

--
ADEWOYIN OLUWANDE O.

Re: detail tutorials

Ghislain ATEMEZING
Hello,

HTH
Ghislain

Le lun. 10 sept. 2018 à 21:53, Oluwande Adewoyin <[hidden email]> a écrit :
[...]

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none" (W. Shakespeare)

Re: detail tutorials

Michael DeBellis-2
One last thought: regarding agents, I don’t know how OWL centric their work is, from what I’ve seen they focus more on game theory but there is some interesting work on agents at the University of British Columbia at Vancouver.  Here are a few links:

https://www.cs.ubc.ca/cs-research/lci/research-groups/game-theory-decision-theory

Michael

On Sep 10, 2018, at 11:10 PM, Oluwande Adewoyin <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

How can I retain the DataProperty Order?

Surya Dhullipalla
Hi
I created an ontology model using Protege 5.2. My users wanted me to modify a class with a couple of data properties. I wanted to add to the end of the dataproperty list. But this is getting sorted alphabetically by Protege. I want to enforce that the new dataproperty I add be at the end of the list. is it possible?

Thanks
Surya Dhullipalla Ph.D
Health Care Data Architect
IBM Watson Health

Re: How can I retain the DataProperty Order?

Csongor Nyulas
Administrator
Hi Surya,

Your question has nothing to do with the topic of this thread ("detailed tutorials"). In the future it would be nice if you could start a new email threads for new topics, instead of "hijacking" existing threads.

To answer your question: an ontology is basically a set of axioms. In a set the order of the elements is unspecified. Protege uses OWLAPI to write and read the ontologies, and the OWLAPI, true to the specification, does not guarantee any specific order in which the axioms are saved. Protege, for the sake of consistency, orders the axioms alphapetically. If the order is extremely important for you (for example to replicate some forms) the only way to trick Protege to show the axioms in a specific order is to include in the name of the properties some numerical or alphanumerical prefix, e.g. you could define some data properties with labels like '1. first name', '2. last name'.

Csongor