different and same individuals

Alexander Nakhimovsky
I have created a subclass of http://www.w3.org/ns/org#Organization
(equivalent to foaf:Organization), and within that subclass a few
individuals (Columbia University, MIT, UCLA, University of Chicago). I
asserted them all to be different; then I created an individual for
University of California Los Angeles, and asserted it to be the same
as UCLA. The reasoner found a contradiction. The "hot spots" pointed
to some conflicts in property values within foaf classes. How do I
express this information? (Several different individuals, one of them
has an alternative name)

--
Alexander Nakhimovsky, Computer Science Department
Colgate University Hamilton NY 13346

Re: different and same individuals

Thomas Russ

On May 17, 2011, at 12:23 PM, Alexander Nakhimovsky wrote:

> I have created a subclass of http://www.w3.org/ns/org#Organization
> (equivalent to foaf:Organization), and within that subclass a few
> individuals (Columbia University, MIT, UCLA, University of Chicago). I
> asserted them all to be different; then I created an individual for
> University of California Los Angeles, and asserted it to be the same
> as UCLA. The reasoner found a contradiction. The "hot spots" pointed
> to some conflicts in property values within foaf classes. How do I
> express this information? (Several different individuals, one of them
> has an alternative name)

What property did you use to name the individuals?

In particular, note that the org:identifier property is a key, so it
can have only a single value and that value must be unique for each
distinct individual.  Is that true of your individuals UCLA and
University of California Los Angeles?

use getTypes() with individuals

Clément AZAIS

Hi,
I would likje to explore an ontology out of protege (with HermiT, in a java program) in order to define wich class does my individual belongs to.
I try with myindividuals.getTypes(ontology) but it returns : [].
do you know how I have to proceed ?
thanks

Re: use getTypes() with individuals

Martin Kuba
Dne 31.5.2011 15:39, Clément AZAIS napsal(a):

> Hi,
> I would likje to explore an ontology out of protege (with HermiT, in a java program) in order to define wich class does my individual belongs to.
> I try with myindividuals.getTypes(ontology) but it returns : [].
> do you know how I have to proceed ?
> thanks

Hi Clement,

try

   for(OWLClass c : reasoner.getTypes(myindividual,false).getFlattened()) {
       System.out.println("class= "+c.getIRI().getFragment());
   }

Best regards

Martin