feature suggestion: annotation order and style

feature suggestion: annotation order and style

Melanie Courtot-2
Dear Protege team,

Thanks for your support and implementation of feature requests (I really, really like the hyperlink recognition!)

A couple of suggestions for the interface: it would be really nice if a) we had some control of the order in which annotations are displayed and b) we could have html annotations so we could style the axioms.

In our case, we have a long list of annotation properties per term (we tend to think more is better, which is usually the case, but clogs the display). Some of them are key (definition, label, example...) and some of them are less critical, especially for some categories of users (e.g., FOL axioms) The ability to display the most important ones first would be a nice visual aid for people browsing the file. Being able to style axioms such as FOL ones would make them much easier to read.

Thanks,
Melanie

---
Mélanie Courtot
MSFHR/PCIRN Ph.D. Candidate,
Terry Fox Laboratory - BCCRC
675 West 10th Avenue
Vancouver, BC
V5Z 1L3, Canada

Re: feature suggestion: annotation order and style

Timothy Redmond

Sorry for the delayed reply.  These sound like excellent suggestions.  I
made a GForge ticket [1] for this so that we can keep track of it.

>   b) we could have html annotations so we could style the axioms.

What do you mean by "style the axioms" exactly.  Are you talking about
annotations that will change how they are displayed?  You also make a
reference to FOL axioms, which makes me think you might be talking about
things that cannot be expressed in OWL but which you want to notate in
the ontology?

-Timothy

[1] https://bmir-gforge.stanford.edu/gf/project/owleditor/tracker/?action=TrackerItemEdit&tracker_item_id=4180&start=0

On 06/27/2012 02:59 PM, Melanie Courtot wrote:

> Dear Protege team,
>
> Thanks for your support and implementation of feature requests (I really, really like the hyperlink recognition!)
>
> A couple of suggestions for the interface: it would be really nice if a) we had some control of the order in which annotations are displayed and b) we could have html annotations so we could style the axioms.
>
> In our case, we have a long list of annotation properties per term (we tend to think more is better, which is usually the case, but clogs the display). Some of them are key (definition, label, example...) and some of them are less critical, especially for some categories of users (e.g., FOL axioms) The ability to display the most important ones first would be a nice visual aid for people browsing the file. Being able to style axioms such as FOL ones would make them much easier to read.
>
> Thanks,
> Melanie
>
> ---
> Mélanie Courtot
> MSFHR/PCIRN Ph.D. Candidate,
> Terry Fox Laboratory - BCCRC
> 675 West 10th Avenue
> Vancouver, BC
> V5Z 1L3, Canada

Re: feature suggestion: annotation order and style

Melanie Courtot-2
Thanks for the note Timothy.

Re FOL axioms, see the attached screenshot; we are indeed embedding them as annotations. As you can see, it is not very readable as is: it would be helpful to be able to add some style, such as italics etc.

Thanks again,
Melanie

Re: feature suggestion: annotation order and style

Alan Ruttenberg-2

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 1:24 PM, Timothy Redmond <[hidden email]> wrote:

Sorry for the delayed reply.  These sound like excellent suggestions.  I made a GForge ticket [1] for this so that we can keep track of it.

  b) we could have html annotations so we could style the axioms.

What do you mean by "style the axioms" exactly.  Are you talking about annotations that will change how they are displayed?  You also make a reference to FOL axioms, which makes me think you might be talking about things that cannot be expressed in OWL but which you want to notate in the ontology?

The general issue is being able to style textual annotations. The most straightforward approach to this would be to have protege be able to display annotations in html. Editing would be good too, but even being able to display as html would be beneficial.

I've been thinking about how to do this in a semweb friendly way. The closes datatype is xhtml and that is a pain to author. I'm thinking instead that we could assume a textual value for the property and then have an axiom annotation whose target is documented to be the html form of the object of the annotation. Then there is always a text fallback, but clients in the know can display the html.

In an authoring environment, we can edit using an html widget and then computationally extract a textual version for the property value that the html will hang off of.

Another alternative would be to encode the html in a data: uri. Can't think, at the moment, of why that might be better, but it might.
Oh yah - if that approach is taken then the page could have embedded images that don't have to be linked to.

-Alan

[...]

Andrew Ton

On Jun 27, 2012 5:59 PM, "Melanie Courtot" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Protege team,XT9 hij
>
> Thanks for your support and implementation of feature requests (I really, really like the hyperlink recognition!)x
>
> A couple of suggestions for the interface: it would be really nice if a) we had some control of the order in which annotations are displayed and b) we could have html annotations so we could style the axioms.
>
> In our case, we have a long list of annotation properties per term (we tend to think more is better, which is usually the case, but clogs the display). Some of them are key (definition, label, example...) and some of them are less critical, especially for some categories of users (e.g., FOL axioms) The ability to display the most important ones first would be a nice visual aid for people browsing the file. Being able to style axioms such as FOL ones would make them much easier to read.
>
> Thanks,
> Melanie
>
> ---
> Mélanie Courtot
> MSFHR/PCIRN Ph.D. Candidate,
> Terry Fox Laboratory - BCCRC
> 675 West 10th Avenue
> Vancouver, BC
> V5Z 1L3, Canada

Re: feature suggestion: annotation order and style

Melanie Courtot-2

Following up on the annotation order feature request.
I understand that it may take some time to enable annotations ordering, but we were wondering if in the meantime yo could explain how the order of annotations is determined? This may allow us to consequently rearrange our file to get the order we would prefer (we generate the OWL via script, so it wouldn't be too much of a hassle)

Cheers,
Melanie

On 2012-07-03, at 3:36 PM, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:

> [...]
> Dear Protege team,
>
> Thanks for your support and implementation of feature requests (I really, really like the hyperlink recognition!)
>
> A couple of suggestions for the interface: it would be really nice if a) we had some control of the order in which annotations are displayed and b) we could have html annotations so we could style the axioms.
>
> In our case, we have a long list of annotation properties per term (we tend to think more is better, which is usually the case, but clogs the display). Some of them are key (definition, label, example...) and some of them are less critical, especially for some categories of users (e.g., FOL axioms) The ability to display the most important ones first would be a nice visual aid for people browsing the file. Being able to style axioms such as FOL ones would make them much easier to read.

---
Mélanie Courtot
MSFHR/PCIRN Ph.D. Candidate,
Terry Fox Laboratory - BCCRC