help with sparql

Sofia Robb
Hi,

I was wondering where the best place to ask a sparq query question? I don't think it is very complicated. I am new to sparql.

Thank you,
Sofia

Re: help with sparql

Sofia Robb
Thank you for your time and reply. What I meant was that I don’t think my question is very complicated for an experienced sparql user. I have been searching the sites like stackoverflow and the tutorials. But I think I am missing some base piece of understanding that is limiting me to answer this question. This base piece of information that I am missing has to do with transitive object properties. When I do a DLquery in Protege I get all the classes that are directly subclasses and entailed subclasses of my property. For example.

x-cookie hasIngredient some ‘milk chocolate chips’.
 ‘milk chocolate chips’ hasIngredient some milk

When I execute the dlquery ‘hasIngredient’ milk, I get back x-cookie as well as ‘milk chocolate chips’. This is exactly what I want.

However when I run a sparql query I only get ‘milk chocolate chips’ and not x-cookie.

Could someone point me to a tutorial that explains how to do transitive queries when using restrictions and object properties with values?

Thank you again,
Sofia

Sent from my iPhone

On May 19, 2018, at 1:00 AM, Lorenz Buehmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

And now? Ever heard about StackOverflow? And please, start with the RDF data model + a SPARQL tutorial. It's pretty straightforward, all is about pattern matching in a graph.

On 18.05.2018 21:34, Sofia Robb wrote:
Hi,

I was wondering where the best place to ask a sparq query question? I don't think it is very complicated. I am new to sparql.

Thank you,
Sofia

Re: help with sparql

Lorenz B.

SPARQL query -> RDF graph pattern matching -> no reasoning by default, was introduced in SPARQL 1.1 by so-called entailment regimes. The default SPARQL tab doesn't support reasoning, that's covered (to some extent, no full OWL DL) by the Snap SPARQL plugin.

DL-Query uses an OWL reasoner, thus, full OWL DL reasoning is used by default.

Solution:

a) use Snap SPARQL plugin and check whether it supports enough reasoning

b) use SPARQL with a very verbose query because you're not asking for simple subclasses, but complex OWL class expressions which SPARQL isn't really appropriate for given that it an OWL class expression usually maps to multiple RDF triples and SPARQL is about RDF triple matching. For full OWL DL reasoning, impossible by the way to rewrite the query. At most OWL QL but even for a simple query the rewritten query will be horribly long and complex.