how to delete empty classes from the entities tab (protege desktop)

how to delete empty classes from the entities tab (protege desktop)

Inge Wertwijn

I have inserted a number of empty classes on the entitities tab.
The top two (hightlighted in the screenshot) I want to delete, that is, keep as classes, but no longer visible on the entities tab.

How do I do this?

Re: how to delete empty classes from the entities tab (protege desktop)

You can delete classes using the Classes view (class hierarchy view) [1].  This is located on the entities tab by default - if it’s not showing in your Protege installation you can reset the layout “Window” -> “Reset selected tab to default state”.

[1] http://protegeproject.github.io/protege/views/class-hierarchy/

> On 9 Aug 2017, at 13:54, Inge Wertwijn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> <http://protege-project.136.n4.nabble.com/file/n4669358/snip_20170809225148.png>
> I have inserted a number of empty classes on the entitities tab.
> The top two (hightlighted in the screenshot) I want to delete, that is, keep
> as classes, but no longer visible on the entities tab.
>
> How do I do this?

Re: how to delete empty classes from the entities tab (protege desktop)

Inge Wertwijn
Hi Matthew, thank you for your answer. But I not want  to delete the class, I only want to remove the empty class from the entitites tab.
In fact, even if I delete the class using the classes view, it will still show up on the entities tab.

You can delete classes using the Classes view (class hierarchy view) [1].  This is located on the entities tab by default - if it’s not showing in your Protege installation you can reset the layout “Window” -> “Reset selected tab to default state”.

[1] http://protegeproject.github.io/protege/views/class-hierarchy/

> On 9 Aug 2017, at 13:54, Inge Wertwijn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> <http://protege-project.136.n4.nabble.com/file/n4669358/snip_201708092
> 25148.png> I have inserted a number of empty classes on the entitities
> tab.
> The top two (hightlighted in the screenshot) I want to delete, that
> is, keep as classes, but no longer visible on the entities tab.
>
> How do I do this?

Re: how to delete empty classes from the entities tab (protege desktop)

Ah right.  I don’t think you can remove the classes from that particular view once they have been added.  The next time Protege opens the classes won’t be there though.

I’ve filed an issue that requests support for this functionality [1].

[1] https://github.com/protegeproject/protege/issues/672

> On 9 Aug 2017, at 14:12, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Hi Matthew, thank you for your answer. But I not want  to delete the class, I only want to remove the empty class from the entitites tab.
> In fact, even if I delete the class using the classes view, it will still show up on the entities tab.

Inge Wertwijn
Thanks Matthew, indeed, they are gone when I restart Protege. Great.

Re: how to delete empty classes from the entities tab (protege desktop)

Michael DeBellis-2
Also, when you make a change but you don't see it reflected in the UI you can try:

Window>Refresh User Interface

That usually makes it consistent again.

Michael