how to describe such an individual

xin jin
Hi, all

Is there somebody can help me?
I need to describe a special individual such as one person Tom,whose information includes: ie, Tom Lived in MD in 1980, and Tom Lived in NW in 2000. How can I do to relate Person,Somewhere and Date together? I know Class Person can associate Class Somewhere with Object Properties Lived in,but how to do about the Date which looks like a restriction.

Thanks!

Best,james

Re: how to describe such an individual

leyla.garcia
Hello there,

You can include a date as a Datatype property in your Somewhere class and
you can have more than one Person --> Somewhere relations for the same
Person.

LG

> Ps: doing those under Protege environment.
>
> 2009/12/3 xin jin <[hidden email]>
>
>> Hi, all
>>
>> Is there somebody can help me?
>> I need to describe a special individual such as one person Tom,whose
>> information includes: ie, *Tom Lived in MD in 1980*, and T*om Lived in
>> NW
>> in 2000*. How can I do to relate Person,Somewhere and Date together? I
>> know Class Person can associate Class Somewhere with Object Properties
>> Lived
>> in£¬but how to do about the Date which looks like a restriction.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Best,james

Re: how to describe such an individual

Cedric Peeters

So in this case you will have to create more than one individual per
city, isn?t it?

Let's assume Tom lived in NY in 1990 and Kim lived in NY in 1995, you
will have to create one individual NY for 1990 and one individual NY
for 1995 no?
Is there any other way to represent that?

Maybe you can have a class person, a class period (with a datatype
property for the beginning and another one for the ending year) and a
class city.
The person has an ObjectProperty with range period and the period has
an ObjectProperty with range city.
In this case you will have one individual per city...but possibly more
than one per period.

Cedric

[hidden email] a écrit :

> Hello there,
>
> You can include a date as a Datatype property in your Somewhere class and
> you can have more than one Person --> Somewhere relations for the same
> Person.
>
> LG
>
>> Ps: doing those under Protege environment.
>>
>> 2009/12/3 xin jin <[hidden email]>
>>
>>> Hi, all
>>>
>>> Is there somebody can help me?
>>> I need to describe a special individual such as one person Tom,whose
>>> information includes: ie, *Tom Lived in MD in 1980*, and T*om Lived in
>>> NW
>>> in 2000*. How can I do to relate Person,Somewhere and Date together? I
>>> know Class Person can associate Class Somewhere with Object Properties
>>> Lived
>>> in£¬but how to do about the Date which looks like a restriction.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Best,james

Re: how to describe such an individual

xin jin
Thanks.
It's not work. For example, the fact is: Tom lived in MD in 1990; Marry lived in MD in 1980, if you add  those dates to the individual MD, Tom and Marry will share those dates. That means Tom lived in MD in 1990 and in 1980,which is not true.

Best, James

2009/12/3 <[hidden email]>
Hello there,

You can include a date as a Datatype property in your Somewhere class and
you can have more than one Person --> Somewhere relations for the same
Person.

LG

> Ps: doing those under Protege environment.
>
> 2009/12/3 xin jin <[hidden email]>
>
>> Hi, all
>>
>> Is there somebody can help me?
>> I need to describe a special individual such as one person Tom,whose
>> information includes: ie, *Tom Lived in MD in 1980*, and T*om Lived in
>> NW
>> in 2000*. How can I do to relate Person,Somewhere and Date together? I
>> know Class Person can associate Class Somewhere with Object Properties
>> Lived
>> in£¬but how to do about the Date which looks like a restriction.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Best,james

Re: how to describe such an individual

Martin O'Connor
You can find some approaches to representing time in OWL in [1, 2].

Martin

[1] http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SWRLTemporalOntology
[2]
http://bmir.stanford.edu/publications/view.php/a_lightweight_model_for_representing_and_reasoning_with_temporal_information_in_biomedical_ontologies

xin jin wrote:

> Thanks.
> It's not work. For example, the fact is: Tom lived in MD in 1990;
> Marry lived in MD in 1980, if you add  those dates to the individual
> MD, Tom and Marry will share those dates. That means Tom lived in MD
> in 1990 and in 1980,which is not true.
>
> Best, James
>
> 2009/12/3 <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>
>     Hello there,
>
>     You can include a date as a Datatype property in your Somewhere
>     class and
>     you can have more than one Person --> Somewhere relations for the same
>     Person.
>
>     LG
>
>     > Ps: doing those under Protege environment.
>     >
>     > 2009/12/3 xin jin <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>     >
>     >> Hi, all
>     >>
>     >> Is there somebody can help me?
>     >> I need to describe a special individual such as one person
>     Tom,whose
>     >> information includes: ie, *Tom Lived in MD in 1980*, and T*om
>     Lived in
>     >> NW
>     >> in 2000*. How can I do to relate Person,Somewhere and Date
>     together? I
>     >> know Class Person can associate Class Somewhere with Object
>     Properties
>     >> Lived
>     >> in£¬but how to do about the Date which looks like a restriction.
>     >>
>     >> Thanks!
>     >>
>     >> Best,james
>     >>
>     > protege-owl mailing list
>     > [hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     > https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/protege-owl
>     >
>     > Instructions for unsubscribing:
>     > http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/faq.html#01a.03
>     >

Re: how to describe such an individual

xin jin
Thank you!
Those approaches seem to be useful to me.

xin jin wrote:
Thanks.
It's not work. For example, the fact is: Tom lived in MD in 1990; Marry lived in MD in 1980, if you add  those dates to the individual MD, Tom and Marry will share those dates. That means Tom lived in MD in 1990 and in 1980,which is not true.

Best, James

2009/12/3 <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>

   Hello there,

   You can include a date as a Datatype property in your Somewhere
   class and
   you can have more than one Person --> Somewhere relations for the same
   Person.

   LG

   > Ps: doing those under Protege environment.
   >
   > 2009/12/3 xin jin <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>

   >> Hi, all
   >>
   >> Is there somebody can help me?
   >> I need to describe a special individual such as one person
   Tom,whose
   >> information includes: ie, *Tom Lived in MD in 1980*, and T*om
   Lived in
   >> NW
   >> in 2000*. How can I do to relate Person,Somewhere and Date
   together? I
   >> know Class Person can associate Class Somewhere with Object
   Properties
   >> Lived
   >> in£¬but how to do about the Date which looks like a restriction.
   >>
   >> Thanks!
   >>
   >> Best,james

Re: how to describe such an individual

xin jin
Yes, it is.

I guess it is not good idea. It makes  the case model be unclear.

Thank you1

[hidden email] a écrit :

[...]

Thomas Russ

On Dec 2, 2009, at 9:50 PM, xin jin wrote:

> Hi, all
>
> Is there somebody can help me?
> I need to describe a special individual such as one person Tom,whose
> information includes: ie, Tom Lived in MD in 1980, and Tom Lived in
> NW in 2000. How can I do to relate Person,Somewhere and Date
> together? I know Class Person can associate Class Somewhere with
> Object Properties Lived in,but how to do about the Date which looks
> like a restriction.

Since OWL only has binary properties, you will need to end up creating
a reified relationship in order to attach the additional information
about the residence.

So, for example, you would have

Tom hasResidence residence-001
Tom hasResidence residence-003

   residence-001 hasLocation MD
   residence-001 hasStartDate 1980

   residence-003 hasLocation NW
   residence-001 hasStartDate 2000

etc.
The names residence-001, residence-003 can either be automatically
generated, or you could look into using anonymous individuals.

Re: how to describe such an individual

Alan Ruttenberg-2
2009/12/3 Thomas Russ <[hidden email]>:

> On Dec 2, 2009, at 9:50 PM, xin jin wrote:
>
>> Hi, all
>>
>> Is there somebody can help me?
>> I need to describe a special individual such as one person Tom,whose
>> information includes: ie, Tom Lived in MD in 1980, and Tom Lived in NW in
>> 2000. How can I do to relate Person,Somewhere and Date together? I know
>> Class Person can associate Class Somewhere with Object Properties Lived
>> in,but how to do about the Date which looks like a restriction.
>
> Since OWL only has binary properties, you will need to end up creating a
> reified relationship in order to attach the additional information about the
> residence.
>
> So, for example, you would have
>
> Tom hasResidence residence-001
> Tom hasResidence residence-003
>
>  residence-001 hasLocation MD
>  residence-001 hasStartDate 1980
>
>  residence-003 hasLocation NW
>  residence-001 hasStartDate 2000
>
> etc.
> The names residence-001, residence-003 can either be automatically
> generated, or you could look into using anonymous individuals.

If you are using OWL 2 you can use annotations on Axioms, in this
case, for example, having the date be an annotation on the x
has_location y axiom.

http://www.w3.org/TR/owl2-syntax/#Annotations_of_Ontologies.2C_Axioms.2C_and_other_Annotations

There is support for this in protege 4.

-Alan