how to recognise the owl flavour

Raj M Verma
hi list,

I have one question regarding many contexts.

First, how do I know which flavour of Owl shud I opt when creating a new protege project from an existing owl ontolgy? It gives is the option to select the Owl flavour we like, but I don't have any info abt it expect the owl ontology file. So I chose the default option(Owl-DL) while loading FMA(owl based, courtesy: Prof. Christine Golbreich)

Second, once I load an owl ontology, I wanted to get the info from the protege abt the Owl flavour that this ontology is built upon... Protege(3.2 beta) is getting struck when I try the option of getting the Owl sublanguage when using large owl files like FMA, nciOncology etc... what might be the problem? size? b'cos it works fine with Pizza ontology and says that Owl sublanguage is Owl Full.

Third, Protege 3.2 beta is trying for ever to open the MotorcycleParts.owl ontology (this ontology was posted by one of our members some days ago). It worked fine with my previous 3.1 version, but now 3.2 beta is having a problem with this ontology. don't know the reason. any idea?

cheers,
Raj.

Re: how to recognise the owl flavour

Doug Holmes
RaJ,
 Take a look at http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-ref/ Section 1.2 - which also includes references to more in-depth discussion.  In general, I think that if you are interested in automated "reasoning" in the near term, Owl DL is the better choice.

Doug

On Feb 1, 2006, at 3:55 AM, Raj M Verma wrote:

[...]

Raj.

[protege-owl] Re: how to recognise the owl flavour

Nick Drummond
Raj,

Raj M Verma wrote:

> hi list,
>
> I have one question regarding many contexts.
>
> First, how do I know which flavour of Owl shud I opt when creating a
> new protege project from an existing owl ontolgy? It gives is the
> option to select the Owl flavour we like, but I don't have any info
> abt it expect the owl ontology file. So I chose the default
> option(Owl-DL) while loading FMA(owl based, courtesy: *Prof. Christine
> Golbreich*)

This is perhaps something that should be annotated in the header of an
ontology so that it can be easily extracted. The profile does not
enforce constraints on the model, but does enforce some constraints on
the UI. The safest bet with an existing ontology is to use the most
expressive profile (OWL-Full) or better yet use the validator to
determine the sublanguage (see notes below).

> Second, once I load an owl ontology, I wanted to get the info from the
> protege abt the Owl flavour that this ontology is built upon...
> Protege(3.2 beta) is getting struck when I try the option of getting
> the Owl sublanguage when using large owl files like FMA, nciOncology
> etc... what might be the problem? size? b'cos it works fine with Pizza
> ontology and says that Owl sublanguage is Owl Full.

Yes, this is almost certainly down to size. You may be able to get a
version running locally that you can configure more appropriately.
You can download the validator  from [1]

> Third, Protege 3.2 beta is trying for ever to open the
> MotorcycleParts.owl ontology (this ontology was posted by one of our
> members some days ago). It worked fine with my previous 3.1 version,
> but now 3.2 beta is having a problem with this ontology. don't know
> the reason. any idea?

Where is this ontology? What is the error (if there is one)?

> cheers,
> Raj.

Nick

[1] http://owl.man.ac.uk/api.shtml