how to use concept definition as part of SQWRL query?

how to use concept definition as part of SQWRL query?

Rajverma

Hi,

is there any source to find out how SQWRL queries are framed when asserted conditions are used as part of the queries? I have the following example… suppose I have the following simple knowledgebase…

University

    EngineeringFaculty

        Mechanical => (hasSubject some Thermodynamics)

        Electronics => (hasSubject some Microprocessors)

    Subject

        Thermodynamics

        Microprocessors

Now, I want to extract the information, where I want to find out the Faculty that is conceptually defined in terms of the Subjects (with the hasSubject property)… I could get what I want with the following sparql query…

SELECT ?faculty ?course

WHERE {

    ?faculty rdfs:subClassOf :University .

    ?course rdfs:subClassOf ?faculty .

    ?course rdfs:subClassOf ?restriction .

    ?restriction rdf:type owl:Restriction .

    ?restriction owl:onProperty :hasSubject .

    ?restriction owl:someValuesFrom :Microprocessors .

}

However, I was trying to achieve the same with SQWRL but I don’t know how to put the RHS of the concept definition as a condition in the query… I tried this way but did not return any result…

tbox:isDirectSubClassOf(?x, University)  ^  tbox:isDirectSubClassOf(?y, ?x)  ^  hasSubject(?y, Microprocessors) → sqwrl:select(?x, ?y)

my question is, how do we use the complex concept definitions (that might involve multiple object properties) as part of the SQWRL queries!! I’m looking out for the semantic richness that SQWRL queries provide…

cheers,

Raj

Re: [protege-owl] how to use concept definition as part of SQWRL query?

Martin O'Connor

I am not sure how EngineeringFaculty could be a subclass of University
(or course a subclass of faculty). Surely these should be modeled using
object properties?

You could then write something like:

University(?u) ^ hasFaculty(?u, ?f) ^ hasCourse(?f, ?c) ^ (hasSubject
some Microprocessor)(?c) -> sqwrl:select(?u, ?f, ?c)

to find individual courses that have a particular subject. (The SWRLTab
does not yet support the use of class descriptions in rules, however, so
you would have to replace (hasSubject some Microprocessor) with a named
class.)

If you modeled your domain slightly differently, you could write:

University(?u) ^ hasFaculty(?u, ?f) ^ hasCourse(?f, ?c) ^ hasSubject(?c,
Microprocessor) -> sqwrl:select(?u, ?f, ?c)

where Microprocessor is an individual of the class Subject.

You could also use the TBox built-in library but it does not yet have
all the necessary built-ins to work with OWL restrictions. I plan to
extend the set of available built-ins in the next few months. However,
the TBox built-ins are designed to answer low-level queries about the
structure of an ontology. Ideally, you should model your domain in a way
that would not require their use.

Martin

Mudunuri, Venkata Rajashekar Varma wrote:

> Hi,
>

> is there any source to find out how SQWRL queries are framed when
> asserted conditions are used as part of the queries? I have the
> following example… suppose I have the following simple knowledgebase…
>

> University
>
>     EngineeringFaculty
>
>         Mechanical => (hasSubject some Thermodynamics)
>
>         Electronics => (hasSubject some Microprocessors)
>
>     Subject
>
>         Thermodynamics
>
>         Microprocessors
>

> Now, I want to extract the information, where I want to find out the
> Faculty that is conceptually defined in terms of the Subjects (with
> the hasSubject property)… I could get what I want with the following
> sparql query…
>

> SELECT ?faculty ?course
>
> WHERE {
>
>     ?faculty rdfs:subClassOf :University .
>
>     ?course rdfs:subClassOf ?faculty .
>
>     ?course rdfs:subClassOf ?restriction .
>
>     ?restriction rdf:type owl:Restriction .
>
>     ?restriction owl:onProperty :hasSubject .
>
>     ?restriction owl:someValuesFrom :Microprocessors .
>
> }
>

> However, I was trying to achieve the same with SQWRL but I don’t know
> how to put the RHS of the concept definition as a condition in the
> query… I tried this way but did not return any result…
>

> tbox:isDirectSubClassOf(?x, University)  ^
> tbox:isDirectSubClassOf(?y, ?x)  ^  hasSubject(?y, Microprocessors) →
> sqwrl:select(?x, ?y)
>

> my question is, how do we use the complex concept definitions (that
> might involve multiple object properties) as part of the SQWRL
> queries!! I’m looking out for the semantic richness that SQWRL queries
> provide…
>

> cheers,
>
> Raj

Re: how to use concept definition as part of SQWRL query?

Rajverma
Thanks Martin... I however want to query at the conceptual level, without getting into individuals...

>> University(?u) ^ hasFaculty(?u, ?f) ^ hasCourse(?f, ?c) ^ hasSubject(?c,
Microprocessor) -> sqwrl:select(?u, ?f, ?c)

This query works fine when there are individuals... but I want to simply ask for the concept that has so and so description...

I'm just wondering whether there is any way to query for the concepts based on concept descriptions, using SQWRL or any other query (DLquery, RQL,...) language...

As I have mentioned below (in previous mail), sparql did the job for me in this case, but I'm exploring if there are better ways to do it...

Cheers,
Raj

> [...]

>     ?restriction owl:onProperty :hasSubject .
>
>     ?restriction owl:someValuesFrom :Microprocessors .
>
> }
>

> However, I was trying to achieve the same with SQWRL but I don’t know
> how to put the RHS of the concept definition as a condition in the
> query… I tried this way but did not return any result…
>

> tbox:isDirectSubClassOf(?x, University)  ^
> tbox:isDirectSubClassOf(?y, ?x)  ^  hasSubject(?y, Microprocessors) →
> sqwrl:select(?x, ?y)
>

> my question is, how do we use the complex concept definitions (that
> might involve multiple object properties) as part of the SQWRL
> queries!! I’m looking out for the semantic richness that SQWRL queries
> provide…
>

> cheers,
>
> Raj

Re: how to use concept definition as part of SQWRL query?

You should be able to use the DL query tab. As soon as your queries get
non trivial, SPARQL will get cumbersome.

Martin

Mudunuri, Venkata Rajashekar Varma wrote:

> Thanks Martin... I however want to query at the conceptual level, without getting into individuals...
>

>>> University(?u) ^ hasFaculty(?u, ?f) ^ hasCourse(?f, ?c) ^ hasSubject(?c,
>>>
> Microprocessor) -> sqwrl:select(?u, ?f, ?c)
>
> This query works fine when there are individuals... but I want to simply ask for the concept that has so and so description...
>
> I'm just wondering whether there is any way to query for the concepts based on concept descriptions, using SQWRL or any other query (DLquery, RQL,...) language...
>
> As I have mentioned below (in previous mail), sparql did the job for me in this case, but I'm exploring if there are better ways to do it...
>
> Cheers,
> Raj

Thanks Martin... DL Query tab seems to give me what I want, in Protégé though... is it possible to do the same programmatically in a separate application? I mean, I have a program where I use owl ontologies, so I use the owl API + sparql engine to query the ontologies... if I want to use DL queries, then what (libraries, APIs etc.) do I have to include in my program so that I can formulate DL queries programmatically and process them?

Did anybody try this? If so, could you pls provide some pointers...

Thanks a ton,
Raj

You should be able to use the DL query tab. As soon as your queries get
non trivial, SPARQL will get cumbersome.

Martin

Mudunuri, Venkata Rajashekar Varma wrote:

> Thanks Martin... I however want to query at the conceptual level, without getting into individuals...
>

>>> University(?u) ^ hasFaculty(?u, ?f) ^ hasCourse(?f, ?c) ^ hasSubject(?c,
>>>
> Microprocessor) -> sqwrl:select(?u, ?f, ?c)
>
> This query works fine when there are individuals... but I want to simply ask for the concept that has so and so description...
>
> I'm just wondering whether there is any way to query for the concepts based on concept descriptions, using SQWRL or any other query (DLquery, RQL,...) language...
>
> As I have mentioned below (in previous mail), sparql did the job for me in this case, but I'm exploring if there are better ways to do it...
>
> Cheers,
> Raj

shugyousha
Martin O'Connor wrote
You could also use the TBox built-in library but it does not yet have
all the necessary built-ins to work with OWL restrictions. I plan to
extend the set of available built-ins in the next few months. However,
the TBox built-ins are designed to answer low-level queries about the
structure of an ontology. Ideally, you should model your domain in a way
that would not require their use.
I have a follow-up question to the built-ins for OWL restrictions. There seems to be a bigger number of them now in the tbox.owl library:

 <swrl:Builtin rdf:ID="isOWLAllValuesFromRestriction"/>
  <swrl:Builtin rdf:ID="isOWLEquivalentClassAxiom"/>

  <swrl:Builtin rdf:ID="isOWLRestriction"/>
  <swrl:Builtin rdf:ID="isOWLHasValueRestriction"/>
  <swrl:Builtin rdf:ID="isOWLMinCardinalityRestriction"/>
  <swrl:Builtin rdf:ID="isOWLCardinalityRestriction"/>
  <swrl:Builtin rdf:ID="isOWLMaxCardinalityRestriction"/>

Sadly I wasn't able to find any documentation on them. Do you think they could be used to find all classes that contain individuals which fulfill any of the restrictions of any of the other classes in an ontology for example? I would be happy if they only would let me bind restrictions to variables and check for their fulfillment though...

Re: how to use concept definition as part of SQWRL query?

Martin O'Connor
These are the names of some of the planned future built-ins.

In general, if a built-in in not documented in the wiki then it is not
implemented or is not in releasable state.

Martin