import from Knowledge Base

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

import from Knowledge Base

Monica Gemo

Hello,
I would like to know if it is possible to connect to an existing
knowlege base (created to store owl/rdf instances from another source)
and make some queries, inferences on such data into the protege
environment.

Could you please tell me which plug-in can be used to do this, if it
exists?

Thanks a lot,
Monica

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe go to http://protege.stanford.edu/community/subscribe.html

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: import from Knowledge Base

Tania Tudorache

Monica,

you can store the OWL ontology in a database, using the "OWL/RDF
Database" backend. Then you can work with it, as you would with an OWL
file. You can run reasoners, ask SPARQL queries, use Protege OWL API to
access it, etc.

To do this, you need a database engine running. Here are the FAQ for
supported databases (http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/faq.html#05.01).
If you already have an OWL file, you can open it with Protege and
convert it to OWL/RDF Database project. You need to fill in these
fields:
http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/users_guide/projects/saving_a_database_project.html

After doing this, you will have your ontology stored in a relational
database, but you can still work with it as before.

There are also other ways of importing or accessing ontologies. Look in
our plugin library:
http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ProtegePluginsLibraryByTopic at
the Import&Export and Semantic Web sections.

Please ask in future OWL related questions on the OWL mailing list.

Thanks,
Tania

gemo wrote:

>Hello,
>I would like to know if it is possible to connect to an existing
>knowlege base (created to store owl/rdf instances from another source)
>and make some queries, inferences on such data into the protege
>environment.
>
>Could you please tell me which plug-in can be used to do this, if it
>exists?
>
>Thanks a lot,
>Monica
>  
>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe go to http://protege.stanford.edu/community/subscribe.html

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: import from Knowledge Base

Valéria de Mariz S. Cotrim
Hello,

    I would like to know if it is possible to define/create a *synonym *for
a class/slot.  I mean, I have created an ontology in Portuguese language,
but I woudn't like to create the same ontology in English.  How can I do
this?

   Other doubt: if two different classes have exactly the same class as
sub-class, how can I represent this in Protégé? I can't repeat the name.
When I try to define this sub-class more than once, I don't know how to
reference the same class again. Exemple:
    class: service
                sub-class: private
                        sub-class:  index-base
                sub-class: public
                         sub-class:  index-base


Thanks a lot,
Valeria

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe go to http://protege.stanford.edu/community/subscribe.html

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

AW: Re: import from Knowledge Base

Rajverma
In reply to this post by Monica Gemo

You can define 'index-base' as a different class and then in the asserted conditions (in the class editor) you can add the named class 'private' in necessary conditions. This will automatically make 'index-base' as a sublcass of 'private'

Hth,
Raj



-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]] Im Auftrag von Valéria de Mariz S. Cotrim
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 10. Mai 2006 16:24
An: [hidden email]
Betreff: [protege-discussion] Re: import from Knowledge Base

Hello,

    I would like to know if it is possible to define/create a *synonym *for
a class/slot.  I mean, I have created an ontology in Portuguese language,
but I woudn't like to create the same ontology in English.  How can I do
this?

   Other doubt: if two different classes have exactly the same class as
sub-class, how can I represent this in Protégé? I can't repeat the name.
When I try to define this sub-class more than once, I don't know how to
reference the same class again. Exemple:
    class: service
                sub-class: private
                        sub-class:  index-base
                sub-class: public
                         sub-class:  index-base


Thanks a lot,
Valeria

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe go to http://protege.stanford.edu/community/subscribe.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe go to http://protege.stanford.edu/community/subscribe.html

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: import from Knowledge Base

Tania Tudorache
In reply to this post by Valéria de Mariz S. Cotrim

Valeria,

if this is an OWL question, please post it on the OWL discussion list.

For frames ontologies, we have a wiki page that describes how to define
synonyms for frame names:
http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?CreatingSynonyms

How to add superclasses to a class is described in the user guide:
http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/users_guide/classes/adding_a_parent.html
In your case, "index-base" will have both "private" and "public" as
superclasses.

Tania

Valéria de Mariz S. Cotrim wrote:

>Hello,
>
>    I would like to know if it is possible to define/create a *synonym *for
>a class/slot.  I mean, I have created an ontology in Portuguese language,
>but I woudn't like to create the same ontology in English.  How can I do
>this?
>
>   Other doubt: if two different classes have exactly the same class as
>sub-class, how can I represent this in Protégé? I can't repeat the name.
>When I try to define this sub-class more than once, I don't know how to
>reference the same class again. Exemple:
>    class: service
>                sub-class: private
>                        sub-class:  index-base
>                sub-class: public
>                         sub-class:  index-base
>
>
>Thanks a lot,
>Valeria
>
>-------------------------------------------------------------------------
>To unsubscribe go to http://protege.stanford.edu/community/subscribe.html
>
>
>  
>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe go to http://protege.stanford.edu/community/subscribe.html

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: import from Knowledge Base

Valéria de Mariz S. Cotrim
Raj and Tania,

Thanks for your help !

Valéria

2006/5/10, Tania Tudorache <[hidden email]>:

>
>
> Valeria,
>
> if this is an OWL question, please post it on the OWL discussion list.
>
> For frames ontologies, we have a wiki page that describes how to define
> synonyms for frame names:
> http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?CreatingSynonyms
>
> How to add superclasses to a class is described in the user guide:
> http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/users_guide/classes/adding_a_parent.html
> In your case, "index-base" will have both "private" and "public" as
> superclasses.
>
> Tania
>
> Valéria de Mariz S. Cotrim wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >    I would like to know if it is possible to define/create a *synonym
> *for
> >a class/slot.  I mean, I have created an ontology in Portuguese language,
> >but I woudn't like to create the same ontology in English.  How can I do
> >this?
> >
> >   Other doubt: if two different classes have exactly the same class as
> >sub-class, how can I represent this in Protégé? I can't repeat the name.
> >When I try to define this sub-class more than once, I don't know how to
> >reference the same class again. Exemple:
> >    class: service
> >                sub-class: private
> >                        sub-class:  index-base
> >                sub-class: public
> >                         sub-class:  index-base
> >
> >
> >Thanks a lot,
> >Valeria
> >
> >-------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >To unsubscribe go to http://protege.stanford.edu/community/subscribe.html
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe go to http://protege.stanford.edu/community/subscribe.html
>
>


--
______________________________
Valéria de Mariz S. Cotrim

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe go to http://protege.stanford.edu/community/subscribe.html

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: import from Knowledge Base

Thomas Russ
In reply to this post by Valéria de Mariz S. Cotrim


On May 10, 2006, at 7:23 AM, Valéria de Mariz S. Cotrim wrote:

> Hello,
>
>     I would like to know if it is possible to define/create a  
> *synonym *for
> a class/slot.  I mean, I have created an ontology in Portuguese  
> language,
> but I woudn't like to create the same ontology in English.  How can  
> I do
> this?

Usually the way you do something like this is to have a single
ontology with a single name for each concept or slot.  This name
can be in whatever language you like.  Mappings from this conceptual
model to words in a given language is then handled as a separate
operation, by asserting the appropriate meta-relation (meta-slot) value
on the class or slot name.

Unfortunately, with the limitation of binary slots, you do end up having
to encode a bit too much information in the slot name, but the way you
would go about this would be something like the following:

Slot:  english-word
        french-word
        german-word
        portuguese-word

Class: Man
        own-slot-value:  english-word "Man"
                         french-word "homme"
                         german-word "Mann"
                         portuguese-word "homem"

Slot: Address
       own-slot-value:   english-word "address"
                         french-word  "adresse"
                         german-word "Adresse"
                         portuguese-word "endereço"


I hope I got the Portuguese words right.  I don't speak that language  
and had to use on-line translators.

>
>    Other doubt: if two different classes have exactly the same  
> class as
> sub-class, how can I represent this in Protégé? I can't repeat the  
> name.
> When I try to define this sub-class more than once, I don't know  
> how to
> reference the same class again. Exemple:
>     class: service
>                 sub-class: private
>                         sub-class:  index-base
>                 sub-class: public
>                          sub-class:  index-base

Do you want this to be the exact same class?  In that case, you  
locate the class that should have multiple parents and then add a new  
superclass to it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe go to http://protege.stanford.edu/community/subscribe.html

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: import from Knowledge Base

Valéria de Mariz S. Cotrim
Thanks, Thomas.  Your sugestion about synonym implementation was very useful
for my study. I think it's a good way to handle different languages for the
same ontology.

Valéria

2006/5/10, Thomas Russ <[hidden email]>:

>
>
>
> On May 10, 2006, at 7:23 AM, Valéria de Mariz S. Cotrim wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> >     I would like to know if it is possible to define/create a
> > *synonym *for
> > a class/slot.  I mean, I have created an ontology in Portuguese
> > language,
> > but I woudn't like to create the same ontology in English.  How can
> > I do
> > this?
>
> Usually the way you do something like this is to have a single
> ontology with a single name for each concept or slot.  This name
> can be in whatever language you like.  Mappings from this conceptual
> model to words in a given language is then handled as a separate
> operation, by asserting the appropriate meta-relation (meta-slot) value
> on the class or slot name.
>
> Unfortunately, with the limitation of binary slots, you do end up having
> to encode a bit too much information in the slot name, but the way you
> would go about this would be something like the following:
>
> Slot:  english-word
>        french-word
>        german-word
>        portuguese-word
>
> Class: Man
>        own-slot-value:  english-word "Man"
>                         french-word "homme"
>                         german-word "Mann"
>                         portuguese-word "homem"
>
> Slot: Address
>       own-slot-value:   english-word "address"
>                         french-word  "adresse"
>                         german-word "Adresse"
>                         portuguese-word "endereço"
>
>
> I hope I got the Portuguese words right.  I don't speak that language
> and had to use on-line translators.
> >
> >    Other doubt: if two different classes have exactly the same
> > class as
> > sub-class, how can I represent this in Protégé? I can't repeat the
> > name.
> > When I try to define this sub-class more than once, I don't know
> > how to
> > reference the same class again. Exemple:
> >     class: service
> >                 sub-class: private
> >                         sub-class:  index-base
> >                 sub-class: public
> >                          sub-class:  index-base
>
> Do you want this to be the exact same class?  In that case, you
> locate the class that should have multiple parents and then add a new
> superclass to it.
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe go to http://protege.stanford.edu/community/subscribe.html
>
>


--
______________________________
Valéria de Mariz S. Cotrim

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe go to http://protege.stanford.edu/community/subscribe.html