import from Knowledge Base

Monica Gemo
Hello,
I would like to know if it is possible to connect to an existing
knowlege base (created to store owl/rdf instances from another source)
and make some queries, inferences on such data into the protege
environment.

Could you please tell me which plug-in can be used to do this, if it
exists?

Thanks a lot,
Monica

Re: import from Knowledge Base

Tania Tudorache
Monica,

below is the answer that I gave to your email on the protege discussion
list.

Tania
-----

Monica,

you can store the OWL ontology in a database, using the "OWL/RDF
Database" backend. Then you can work with it, as you would with an OWL
file in Protege. You can run reasoners, ask SPARQL queries, use Protege
OWL API to access it, etc.

To do this, you need a database engine running. Here are the FAQ for
supported databases (http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/faq.html#05.01).
If you already have an OWL file, you can open it with Protege and
convert it to OWL/RDF Database project. You need to fill in these
fields:
http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/users_guide/projects/saving_a_database_project.html

After doing this, you will have your ontology stored in a relational
database, but you can still work with it as before.

There are also other ways of importing or accessing ontologies. Look in
our plugin library:
http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ProtegePluginsLibraryByTopic at
the Import&Export and Semantic Web sections.

Please ask in future OWL related questions on the OWL mailing list.

Thanks,
Tania

----