import ontology

Amelie Marseille [MSc BIX]

Hi everybody,

Please, can you tell me how I can import an ontology inside my current ontology from java code using the ProtegeOWL API ? I can't find it in the API programmer's documentation.

Thank you very much,

Amelie.

Re: import ontology

Tania Tudorache

Amelie,

please ask in future OWL related questions on the OWL mailing list.

You can use the following API calls to do an import programmatically:

        OWLModel owlModel = (OWLModel) kb;
        String path = "c://Documents and
Settings//ttania//Protege//projects//imported.owl";
        URI uri = URIUtilities.createURI(path);

         //create a new import helper with a JenaOWLModel as argument
        ImportHelper importHelper = new
ImportHelper((JenaOWLModel)owlModel);

       //add the URI to the imported URIs
        importHelper.addImport(uri);

        try {
        // do the actual import
            importHelper.importOntologies(false);
        } catch (Exception e) {
            //handle the exception
            e.printStackTrace();
        }

Please ask in future OWL related questions on the OWL discussion list.

Thanks,
Tania

Amelie Marseille [MSc BIX] wrote:

>Hi everybody,
>
>Please, can you tell me how I can import an ontology inside my current ontology from java code using the ProtegeOWL API ? I can't find it in the API programmer's documentation.
>
>Thank you very much,
>
>Amelie.

Re: repository manager

sugato.chakrabarty
Hello:

I had a question about the ontology repository manager in OWL.

I have downloaded Protege 3.1.1 (full download of build 216 on HP UNIX),
but can't see the Ontology repositories item in the OWL menu.

I have imported the pizza example that came with the download and saw the
OWL tab at the top. But then when I went into it, there was no Ontology
repositories item there.

I would like to create an ontology repository using Protege and OWL.

Could someone help please?

If this needs to be sent to the owl discussion group, could someone please
send me the owl discussion email address so that I can forward the query
there?

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Sugato

(no subject)

LakshmiChaitanya A (HCL Capital Market Services)
hi,
     I want to save the Tree-Structure that is created in Ontoviz, I could find no option to save or import the Tree-Structure. Is there a option to save it or import it?

Can anyone please help me regarding this

Thanking You,
With Regards

A.Lakshmi Chaitanya
Financial Engineering Group,
HCL Capital Market Services

Disclaimer:
***********
The contents of this E-mail (including the contents of the enclosure(s) or attachment(s) if any) are privileged and confidential material of HCL Capital Market Services and should not be disclosed to, used by or copied in any manner by anyone other than the intended addressee(s). In case you are not the desired addressee, you should delete this message and/or re-direct it to the sender. The views expressed in this E-mail message (including the enclosure(s) or attachment(s) if any) are those of the individual sender, except where the sender expressly, and with authority, states them to be the views of HCL Capital Market Services.
This e-mail message including attachment/(s), if any, is believed to be free of any virus. However, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is virus free and HCL Capital Market Services is not responsible for any loss or damage arising in any way from its use.

Re: [protege-discussion]

Thomas Russ

On Jul 5, 2006, at 12:15 AM, LakshmiChaitanya A ((HCL Capital Market
Services)) wrote:

> hi,
>      I want to save the Tree-Structure that is created in Ontoviz,
> I could find no option to save or import the Tree-Structure. Is
> there a option to save it or import it?
>
> Can anyone please help me regarding this

I don't have a particularly easy solution to this,
but one way to do this is to select the option to
save a GIF file.  After creating the tree structure
that you want, there should be a GIF file in the
directory with your project.  You should then copy
that file and give it the name you want.

It is a bit tedious, but it does work as long as
you don't have too many diagrams to want to save.

> Thanking You,
> With Regards
>
> A.Lakshmi Chaitanya
> Financial Engineering Group,
> HCL Capital Market Services
>

> Disclaimer:
> ***********
> The contents of this E-mail (including the contents of the enclosure
> (s) or attachment(s) if any) are privileged and confidential
> material of HCL Capital Market Services and should not be disclosed
> to, used by or copied in any manner by anyone other than the
> intended addressee(s). In case you are not the desired addressee,
> you should delete this message and/or re-direct it to the sender.
> The views expressed in this E-mail message (including the enclosure
> (s) or attachment(s) if any) are those of the individual sender,
> except where the sender expressly, and with authority, states them
> to be the views of HCL Capital Market Services.
> This e-mail message including attachment/(s), if any, is believed
> to be free of any virus. However, it is the responsibility of the
> recipient to ensure that it is virus free and HCL Capital Market
> Services is not responsible for any loss or damage arising in any
> way from its use.

Re: (No Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 11:39:13 -0700

Murray, William R

A.Lakshmi,

Well, I know Ontoviz is built over the GraphViz tools and those produce
.dot files, so if those could be obtained, they could be interpreted or
saved for the tree structure.

The GraphViz documentation would explain the format. But I can't find
where these are. It could be they are deleted automatically by OntoViz
in which case you'd have to ask the author to make them available (by
not deleting them).

Or maybe someone else knows where they files are retained?

--Regards,
         Bill

Re: (No Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 11:39:13 -0700

LakshmiChaitanya A (HCL Capital Market Services)
hi Bill,
           From the .dot files the Tree structure could not be opened in Ontoviz. Is there a Save option on anything else that has to be configured.
           I wanted to know that, there is a option in Ontoviz called "Op", if we click that we will get a option called "save as gif", but where is this saving is unknown, can you please help me regarding this.

________________________________

Re: [protege-discussion]

LakshmiChaitanya A (HCL Capital Market Services)
hi,
        I wanted to know that, there is a option in Ontoviz called "Op", if we click that we will get a option called "save as gif", but where is this saving is unknown, can you please help me regarding this.
        Or is there a Save option on anything else that has to be configured.

Services)) wrote:

> hi,
>      I want to save the Tree-Structure that is created in Ontoviz,
> I could find no option to save or import the Tree-Structure. Is
> there a option to save it or import it?
>
> Can anyone please help me regarding this

I don't have a particularly easy solution to this,
but one way to do this is to select the option to
save a GIF file.  After creating the tree structure
that you want, there should be a GIF file in the
directory with your project.  You should then copy
that file and give it the name you want.

It is a bit tedious, but it does work as long as
you don't have too many diagrams to want to save.

> Thanking You,
> With Regards
>
> A.Lakshmi Chaitanya
> Financial Engineering Group,
> HCL Capital Market Services
>

> Disclaimer:
> ***********
> The contents of this E-mail (including the contents of the enclosure
> (s) or attachment(s) if any) are privileged and confidential
> material of HCL Capital Market Services and should not be disclosed
> to, used by or copied in any manner by anyone other than the
> intended addressee(s). In case you are not the desired addressee,
> you should delete this message and/or re-direct it to the sender.
> The views expressed in this E-mail message (including the enclosure
> (s) or attachment(s) if any) are those of the individual sender,
> except where the sender expressly, and with authority, states them
> to be the views of HCL Capital Market Services.
> This e-mail message including attachment/(s), if any, is believed
> to be free of any virus. However, it is the responsibility of the
> recipient to ensure that it is virus free and HCL Capital Market
> Services is not responsible for any loss or damage arising in any
> way from its use.

Disclaimer:
***********
[...]

query

LakshmiChaitanya A (HCL Capital Market Services)
        Is there a way to cut and paste (or put in a file) the structure under the tab 'Ontoviz' and e-mail it to someone?  Can I also print it or save it?

Thanking You,
With Regards

A.Lakshmi Chaitanya

Disclaimer:
***********
[...]

On Jul 6, 2006, at 5:04 AM, LakshmiChaitanya A ((HCL Capital Market
Services)) wrote:

> hi Bill,
>            From the .dot files the Tree structure could not be
> opened in Ontoviz. Is there a Save option on anything else that has
> to be configured.
>            I wanted to know that, there is a option in Ontoviz
> called "Op", if we click that we will get a option called "save as
> gif", but where is this saving is unknown, can you please help me
> regarding this.

The .dot files will not be openable in Ontoviz.  You would have to
run the GraphViz (also known as dot) program on those files directly.

Saving as gif saves the files (for me at least) in the same directory
as the project with the name <PROJECT>.gif

Re: repository manager

Jennifer Vendetti-2

Sugato,

The email address for the protege-owl mailing list is protege-owl at smi
dot stanford dot edu.  You need to subscribe to the list before you can
post questions.  This can be done via our Web site:

http://protege.stanford.edu/community/subscribe.html

Also, we are recommending for Protege-OWL that you use the latest 3.2
beta version, rather than 3.1.1.

Jennifer

[hidden email] wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I had a question about the ontology repository manager in OWL.
>
> I have downloaded Protege 3.1.1 (full download of build 216 on HP UNIX),
> but can't see the Ontology repositories item in the OWL menu.
>
> I have imported the pizza example that came with the download and saw the
> OWL tab at the top. But then when I went into it, there was no Ontology
> repositories item there.
>
> I would like to create an ontology repository using Protege and OWL.
>
> Could someone help please?
>
> If this needs to be sent to the owl discussion group, could someone please
> send me the owl discussion email address so that I can forward the query
> there?
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> Regards,
>
> Sugato

Re: (No Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 11:39:13 -0700

Jennifer Vendetti-2

Bill,

Murray, William R wrote:
> Well, I know Ontoviz is built over the GraphViz tools and those produce
> .dot files, so if those could be obtained, they could be interpreted or
> saved for the tree structure.

The Ontoviz tab does output DOT files, although it is not particularly
intuitive where to find them.  They are output into the same directory
as the currently loaded project in Protege, and the are given the same
name as the Protege project file.  For example, if you opened the
standard newspaper example project, Ontoviz will output the DOT file
into the /examples/newspaper directory with the name "newspaper.dot".
> The GraphViz documentation would explain the format. But I can't find
> where these are.
Graphviz documentation can be found at the Graphviz Web site:

http://www.graphviz.org/Documentation.php
> It could be they are deleted automatically by OntoViz
> in which case you'd have to ask the author to make them available (by
> not deleting them).

We generally don't distribute documentation for 3rd party libraries with
the Protege software if it is easily accessed on the Web.

Jennifer

Re: query

Jennifer Vendetti-2

A. Lakshmi,

By "structure under the tab Ontoviz" do you mean the graph?  If so, you
can save it to a GIF by clicking "save as gif" in the Options dialog.
Each time you generate a graph, the GIF will be saved in the same
directory as the current project.

If instead you mean that you'd like to print the class structure, please
see the File | Export to Format menu item.

Jennifer

LakshmiChaitanya A (HCL Capital Market Services) wrote:

>  Hi,
>         Is there a way to cut and paste (or put in a file) the structure under the tab 'Ontoviz' and e-mail it to someone?  Can I also print it or save it?
>

> Thanking You,
> With Regards
>
> A.Lakshmi Chaitanya
>

> Disclaimer:
> ***********
> The contents of this E-mail (including the contents of the enclosure(s) or attachment(s) if any) are privileged and confidential material of HCL Capital Market Services and should not be disclosed to, used by or copied in any manner by anyone other than the intended addressee(s). In case you are not the desired addressee, you should delete this message and/or re-direct it to the sender. The views expressed in this E-mail message (including the enclosure(s) or attachment(s) if any) are those of the individual sender, except where the sender expressly, and with authority, states them to be the views of HCL Capital Market Services.
> This e-mail message including attachment/(s), if any, is believed to be free of any virus. However, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is virus free and HCL Capital Market Services is not responsible for any loss or damage arising in any way from its use.

Re: repository manager

sugato.chakrabarty
Jennifer:

I'll subscribe to the owl mailing list and post my question there.

Regards,

Sugato

Jennifer Vendetti <[hidden email]>
Sent by: [hidden email]
07/08/2006 06:27 AM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
[protege-discussion] Re: repository manager

[hidden email] wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I had a question about the ontology repository manager in OWL.
>
> I have downloaded Protege 3.1.1 (full download of build 216 on HP UNIX),

> but can't see the Ontology repositories item in the OWL menu.
>
> I have imported the pizza example that came with the download and saw
the
> OWL tab at the top. But then when I went into it, there was no Ontology
> repositories item there.
>
> I would like to create an ontology repository using Protege and OWL.
>
> Could someone help please?
>
> If this needs to be sent to the owl discussion group, could someone
please
> send me the owl discussion email address so that I can forward the query

> there?
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> Regards,
>
> Sugato

ontology description

David Riano

----------
hello,

does anyone knows whether there is a recommended format to describe a
Protege ontology in a textual document: sections that it should contain,
order of these sections, metrics, etc.
----------

I'm particularly interested in Protege-OWL ontologies.
----------

Thanks,
----------
David.David Riaño

Department of Computer Science and Mathematics
Rovira i Virgili University
Av. Paisos Catalans 26
43007 Tarragona
Spain

T. +34 977 559 657
F. +34 977 559 710

ontology description

Amelie Marseille [MSc BIX]
Dear All,

I am also interested in that question.

In particular I would like to know how to write specifications for an ontology, if there is a method for modeling ontology (as UML for OO software), if there is "design and maintenance" model reports.
Does somebody that have developed an ontology can give me a model of that kind of documents, if they exist ?

Thank you very much,

Regards,
Amélie.

________________________________

De: [hidden email] de la part de David Riano
Date: mar. 11/07/2006 11:27
À: [hidden email]
Objet : [protege-discussion] ontology description

----------
hello,

does anyone knows whether there is a recommended format to describe a
Protege ontology in a textual document: sections that it should contain,
order of these sections, metrics, etc.
----------

I'm particularly interested in Protege-OWL ontologies.
----------

Thanks,
----------
David.David Riaño

Department of Computer Science and Mathematics
Rovira i Virgili University
Av. Paisos Catalans 26
43007 Tarragona
Spain

T. +34 977 559 657
F. +34 977 559 710

-- Type: application/ms-tnef
-- Size: 4k (4750 bytes)

Re: ontology description

Adriana-7

I am also interested in that question from Amélie.

Thanks a lot,
Regards
Adriana

> Dear All,
>
> I am also interested in that question.
>
> In particular I would like to know how to write specifications for an
> ontology, if there is a method for modeling ontology (as UML for OO
> software), if there is "design and maintenance" model reports.
> Does somebody that have developed an ontology can give me a model of that
> kind of documents, if they exist ?
>
> Thank you very much,
>
> Regards,
> Amélie.
>
> ________________________________
>
> De: [hidden email] de la part de David Riano
> Date: mar. 11/07/2006 11:27
> À: [hidden email]
> Objet : [protege-discussion] ontology description
>

> ----------
> hello,
>
> does anyone knows whether there is a recommended format to describe a
> Protege ontology in a textual document: sections that it should contain,
> order of these sections, metrics, etc.
> ----------
>
> I'm particularly interested in Protege-OWL ontologies.
> ----------
>
> Thanks,
> ----------
> David.David Riaño
>
> Department of Computer Science and Mathematics
> Rovira i Virgili University
> Av. Paisos Catalans 26
> 43007 Tarragona
> Spain
>
> T. +34 977 559 657
> F. +34 977 559 710

> -- Attached file removed by Ecartis and put at URL below --
> -- Type: application/ms-tnef
> -- Size: 4k (4750 bytes)

Re: ontology description

Jennifer Vendetti-2

Amelie,

Someone developed a UML back-end for Protege that is documented on our Wiki:

http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UMLBackend

Unfortunately, it only works with older versions of Protege, but you may
find it useful to read about and/or experiment with.

Jennifer