import "extract of an ontology"

Alexander Nakhimovsky
How does one import an extract of an ontology

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 7
> Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 11:25:19 -0700
> From: Thomas Russ <[hidden email]>
> To: User support for the Protege-OWL editor
>        <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [protege-owl] more on prefixes
>

> On May 11, 2011, at 10:52 AM, Alexander Nakhimovsky wrote:
>
>> I would like to use Protege to create a simple Turtle file that does
>> the following:
>>
>>  declare two prefixes, dc: for Dublin Core Elements and foaf: for
>> friend of a friend
>>  create a class, eduOrganization that is a subclass of
>> foaf:Organization
>>  create an object property, startTime, to indicate when an
>> eduOrganization was founded
>>  specify that its domain is dc:Date
>>
>> After a long time trying I still don't know how to create such a file
>> in Protege. In particular, when one declares a prefix in RC1, the
>> program doesn't notice this: if you try to save, there's nothing to
>> save; if you Save As... the namespace declaration is not saved.
>>
>> Does this all mean that in order to use an ontology one has to import
>> it in its entirety?
>
> Well, the problem that you get if you don't import the ontology is
> that any information about the meaning of the names in that ontology
> is not available.  The name is just a name.
>
> So, for example, if you want to create a subclass of
> foaf:Organization, but haven't imported the foaf ontology, then there
> is no definition of foaf:Organization as an owl:Class.  Now, in this
> case, an OWL system could infer that foaf:Organization must be an
> owl:Class based on context, but that information isn't explicit
> anywhere.  And there wouldn't be any inferences available about, say,
> the superclasses of foaf:Organization.
>
> Similarly for dc:Date.  There is no information about what the meaning
> of that term is without importing the ontology.
>
> So, you really do generally need to import an ontology -- or at least
> a extract of an ontology -- in order to use the terms and have their
> meanings present.

> End of protege-owl Digest, Vol 58, Issue 25

Alexander Nakhimovsky, Computer Science Department
Colgate University Hamilton NY 13346
   http://cs.colgate.edu/~sasha
Director, Linguistics Program
   http://www.colgate.edu/linguistics
Director, Project Afghanistan
   http://www.colgate.edu/projectafghanistan
t. +1 315 228 7586 f. +1 315 228 7009

Re: import "extract of an ontology"

Thomas Russ

On May 11, 2011, at 12:30 PM, Alexander Nakhimovsky wrote:

> How does one import an extract of an ontology

I haven't tried this beyond some toy examples, but two tools that I
know of are

  MIREOT   http://obi-ontology.org/page/MIREOT

  Prompt   Protégé 3.x, but I'm not sure if this is being maintained
or if it will be ported.
           http://protege.stanford.edu/plugins/prompt/prompt.html

There also appears to be a function in the OWLAPI for doing module
extraction:

    Interface  org.semanticweb.owlapi.modularity.OntologySegmenter
    Class
uk.ac.manchester.cs.owlapi.modularity.SyntacticLocalityModuleExtractor

Some additional technical discussion of the problem can be found in

   http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~ykazakov/publications/reports/CueHorKazSat06Modul_TR.pdf