importing an ontology from a OWL / RDF Database

importing an ontology from a OWL / RDF Database

David Petrovich

We have an ontology only protege 3.2 project. The ontology is residing in an
OWL / RDF database (Oracle 10.g). We also have a data only Protege 3.2
project. The data is residing in an OWL / RDF database (Oracle 10.g).

When we have the data project open, we are trying to import the ontology
through the (metadata tab) into the project then add the data. The
data "individuals" would then reside within the Oracle 10.g table as well.

We are unsure how to connect to the database. We need the detailed steps on
how to do this. We can do the import if the ontology and data projects reside
in an OWL file.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

David

Re: importing an ontology from a OWL / RDF Database

Tania Tudorache

Hi David,

so, you have two ontologies stored in two OWL databases, and you want to
import one ontology into the other one, if I understood right.

Unfortunately, this does not work. Right now, imports in OWL work only
with the file backend.
We are working on implementing this, but I cannot tell you when this
will be ready.

Until then, you could merge the two ontologies and use the OWL database
backend.

Tania

David Petrovich wrote:

>We have an ontology only protege 3.2 project. The ontology is residing in an
>OWL / RDF database (Oracle 10.g). We also have a data only Protege 3.2
>project. The data is residing in an OWL / RDF database (Oracle 10.g).
>
>When we have the data project open, we are trying to import the ontology
>through the (metadata tab) into the project then add the data. The
>data "individuals" would then reside within the Oracle 10.g table as well.
>
>We are unsure how to connect to the database. We need the detailed steps on
>how to do this. We can do the import if the ontology and data projects reside
>in an OWL file.
>
>Any help is appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>
>David

Re: importing an ontology from a OWL / RDF Database

Samir Fertas

Hi,
am a new in ontologies, and i have downloaded protege for my studies, i need to
learn it a tutorial or file example of an ontology

can you help me please?

Samir
geomatics dept
 University Laval Quebec , Canada

Selon Tania Tudorache <[hidden email]>, 28.04.2006:

> Hi David,
>
> so, you have two ontologies stored in two OWL databases, and you want to
> import one ontology into the other one, if I understood right.
>
> Unfortunately, this does not work. Right now, imports in OWL work only
> with the file backend.
> We are working on implementing this, but I cannot tell you when this
> will be ready.
>
> Until then, you could merge the two ontologies and use the OWL database
> backend.
>
> Tania
>

> David Petrovich wrote:
>
> >We have an ontology only protege 3.2 project. The ontology is residing in an
> >OWL / RDF database (Oracle 10.g). We also have a data only Protege 3.2
> >project. The data is residing in an OWL / RDF database (Oracle 10.g).
> >
> >When we have the data project open, we are trying to import the ontology
> >through the (metadata tab) into the project then add the data. The
> >data "individuals" would then reside within the Oracle 10.g table as well.
> >
> >We are unsure how to connect to the database. We need the detailed steps on
> >how to do this. We can do the import if the ontology and data projects
> reside
> >in an OWL file.
> >
> >Any help is appreciated.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >David

Re: importing an ontology from a OWL / RDF Database

Tania Tudorache

Hi Samir,

here you find documentation and a tutorial for Protege:
http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/users.html

Good luck!
Tania