information about Protege

Pratik Pingle
Hello,
I am a student at Iowa State University.
I am working on a project and I need some information about Protege.
I  want to know if it is possible for Protege to read data from different data resources (for eg. web, excel).
Do we need to make an interface for this or is it already there?

P.S. I do not know much about software engineering, so please let me know which language can be used to make a code for my application.

--
Best Regards,
Pratik PIngle

Re: information about Protege

Tania Tudorache
Pratik,

Protege can load ontologies from the Web: Once you start Protege, go to File menu -> Open from URL.

It can also read in different file formats. I suggest that you look at the Getting started guides on our wiki that are a good way of getting to know Protege and all its features:

http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/Protege4UserDocs

A good guide for building ontologies using Protege is here:
http://130.88.198.11/tutorials/protegeowltutorial/

You can import from spreadsheets using the MappingMaster plugin (http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?MappingMaster) available for the previous version of Protege, Protege 3.x. You can import the spreadsheet in Protege 3.x, save the file, and then work with it in Protege 4.x.

Tania