inverseOf question

Paul Warner
Hello community,

I have an ontology in Protege 3.5, in which I have books that have images and authors.  I have set up an inverseOf relationship between the books and the images.  But since the books and the authors are also related, it would be great if I could somehow link them with an inverseOf.  Is this possible?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Paul

Re: inverseOf question

samsontu
You can set up inverseOf relationship on any object property. If  you have hasAuthor and hasImage properties from Book to Author (or Person) and Image respectively, you can define iverseOf on both hasAuthor and hasImage.

From: http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-ref/#inverseOf-def :

4.2.2 owl:inverseOf

Properties have a direction, from domain to range. In practice, people often find it useful to define relations in both directions: persons own cars, cars are owned by persons. The owl:inverseOf construct can be used to define such an inverse relation between properties.

Syntactically, owl:inverseOf is a built-in OWL property with owl:ObjectProperty as its domain and range. An axiom of the form P1 owl:inverseOf P2 asserts that for every pair (x,y) in the property extension of P1, there is a pair (y,x) in the property extension of P2, and vice versa. Thus, owl:inverseOf is a symmetric property.

An example:

<owl:ObjectProperty rdf:ID="hasChild">
  <owl:inverseOf rdf:resource="#hasParent"/>
</owl:ObjectProperty>

On 1/27/14, 12:22 AM, Paul Warner wrote:
Hello community,

I have an ontology in Protege 3.5, in which I have books that have images and authors.  I have set up an inverseOf relationship between the books and the images.  But since the books and the authors are also related, it would be great if I could somehow link them with an inverseOf.  Is this possible?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Paul

Re: inverseOf question

Paul Warner
Thank you, Samson, for this very helpful answer!

Best regards,
Paul