java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Malformed \uxxxx encoding.

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Malformed \uxxxx encoding.

Rokicki, Konrad (NIH/NCI) [C]

While installing Protégé on Linux and ran into the following issue (apologies if this is a dup):

Preparing to install...

Extracting the installation resources from the installer archive...

Configuring the installer for this system's environment...

Launching installer...

An internal LaunchAnywhere application error has occured and this application cannot proceed. (LAX)

Stack Trace:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Malformed \uxxxx encoding.

    at java.util.Properties.loadConvert(Properties.java:492)

    at java.util.Properties.load(Properties.java:331)

    at com.zerog.common.java.util.PropertiesUtil.loadProperties(DashoA10*..)

    at com.zerog.lax.LAX.<init>(DashoA10*..)

    at com.zerog.lax.LAX.main(DashoA10*..)

It turns out that this is caused by the prompt definition in my .bashrc file:

export PS1='\u@\h \$ '

Since all the shell env variables are used to build the Java properties file, these characters are interpreted as unicode which results in the error. I was able to install after redefining this to a static prompt, but the error persists when I try to run the application. As a workaround, I have modified the Protege script on line 255 as follows:

# convert one backslash to four (changed from two)

gsub(/\\/, "\\\\\\\\", value)

Please let me know if this would have any unintended consequences.

Thanks!

--

Konrad Rokicki

SAIC / NCICB

Re: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Malformed \uxxxx encoding.

Nick Drummond
hi Konrad,

What linux distribution are you using?

Nick

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 4:51 PM, Rokicki, Konrad (NIH/NCI) [C] <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hi Nick,

I’m using Ubuntu Linux 8.04, but I would use this kind of bash prompt on any Linux distribution.

Thanks,

Konrad

> On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 05:57 AM, Nick Drummond wrote:

> hi Konrad,

> What linux distribution are you using?

> Nick

> On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 4:51 PM, Rokicki, Konrad (NIH/NCI) [C] <rokickik at mail.nih.gov> wrote:

>>  While installing Protégé on Linux and ran into the following issue

>> (apologies if this is a dup):

>> Preparing to install...

>> Extracting the installation resources from the installer archive...

>> Configuring the installer for this system's environment...

>> Launching installer...

>> An internal LaunchAnywhere application error has occured and this

>> application cannot proceed. (LAX)

>> Stack Trace:

>> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Malformed \uxxxx encoding.

>>     at java.util.Properties.loadConvert(Properties.java:492)

>>     at java.util.Properties.load(Properties.java:331)

>>     at

>> com.zerog.common.java.util.PropertiesUtil.loadProperties(DashoA10*..)

>>     at com.zerog.lax.LAX.<init>(DashoA10*..)

>>     at com.zerog.lax.LAX.main(DashoA10*..)

>> It turns out that this is caused by the prompt definition in my .bashrc

>> file:

>> export PS1='\u@\h \$ '

>> Since all the shell env variables are used to build the Java properties

>> file, these characters are interpreted as unicode which results in the

>> error. I was able to install after redefining this to a static prompt, but

>> the error persists when I try to run the application. As a workaround, I

>> have modified the Protege script on line 255 as follows:

>> # convert one backslash to four (changed from two)

>> gsub(/\\/, "\\\\\\\\", value)

>> Please let me know if this would have any unintended consequences.

>> Thanks!

>> --

>> Konrad Rokicki

>> SAIC / NCICB

Re: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Malformed \uxxxxencoding.

Nick Drummond
Konrad,

I'm afraid I'm no linux guru so I can't comment on whether this would be problematic.

Are you saying the installer was having problems, or Protege itself because of the installer? Is this likely to be the case for anyone else?
As a stopgap you should be able to download the distribution in simple zip format [1].
As long as you are happy to set up the path to include java correctly this should just work for you.

Nick

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 4:41 PM, Rokicki, Konrad (NIH/NCI) [C] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Nick,

I'm using Ubuntu Linux 8.04, but I would use this kind of bash prompt on any Linux distribution.

Thanks,

Konrad

> On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 05:57 AM, Nick Drummond wrote:

> hi Konrad,

> What linux distribution are you using?

> Nick

> On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 4:51 PM, Rokicki, Konrad (NIH/NCI) [C] <rokickik at mail.nih.gov> wrote:

>>  While installing Protégé on Linux and ran into the following issue

>> (apologies if this is a dup):

>> Preparing to install...

>> Extracting the installation resources from the installer archive...

>> Configuring the installer for this system's environment...

>> Launching installer...

>> An internal LaunchAnywhere application error has occured and this

>> application cannot proceed. (LAX)

>> Stack Trace:

>> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Malformed \uxxxx encoding.

>>     at java.util.Properties.loadConvert(Properties.java:492)

>>     at java.util.Properties.load(Properties.java:331)

>>     at

>> com.zerog.common.java.util.PropertiesUtil.loadProperties(DashoA10*..)

>>     at com.zerog.lax.LAX.<init>(DashoA10*..)

>>     at com.zerog.lax.LAX.main(DashoA10*..)

>> It turns out that this is caused by the prompt definition in my .bashrc

>> file:

>> export PS1='\u@\h \$ '

>> Since all the shell env variables are used to build the Java properties

>> file, these characters are interpreted as unicode which results in the

>> error. I was able to install after redefining this to a static prompt, but

>> the error persists when I try to run the application. As a workaround, I

>> have modified the Protege script on line 255 as follows:

>> # convert one backslash to four (changed from two)

>> gsub(/\\/, "\\\\\\\\", value)

>> Please let me know if this would have any unintended consequences.

>> Thanks!

>> --

>> Konrad Rokicki

>> SAIC / NCICB

Re: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Malformed\uxxxxencoding.

Rokicki, Konrad (NIH/NCI) [C]

Nick,

You should be able to reproduce the issue by setting any environment variable to '\u@\h \$ ' before installing or running Protégé. The issue affects both the installer and Protégé once its installed. It will affect anyone using escape codes in an environment variable.

I gave a potential fix after the original error report, which you may have missed. It would just require changing the Protégé script’s backslash escaping from 2 to 4 backslashes. Of course, ideally, the script would only import environment variables which are actually used by Protégé.

Konrad

I'm afraid I'm no linux guru so I can't comment on whether this would be problematic.

Are you saying the installer was having problems, or Protege itself because of the installer? Is this likely to be the case for anyone else?

As a stopgap you should be able to download the distribution in simple zip format [1].

As long as you are happy to set up the path to include java correctly this should just work for you.

Nick

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 4:41 PM, Rokicki, Konrad (NIH/NCI) [C] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Nick,

I'm using Ubuntu Linux 8.04, but I would use this kind of bash prompt on any Linux distribution.

Thanks,

Konrad

> On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 05:57 AM, Nick Drummond wrote:

> hi Konrad,

> What linux distribution are you using?

> Nick

> On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 4:51 PM, Rokicki, Konrad (NIH/NCI) [C] <rokickik at mail.nih.gov> wrote:

>>  While installing Protégé on Linux and ran into the following issue

>> (apologies if this is a dup):

>> Preparing to install...

>> Extracting the installation resources from the installer archive...

>> Configuring the installer for this system's environment...

>> Launching installer...

>> An internal LaunchAnywhere application error has occured and this

>> application cannot proceed. (LAX)

>> Stack Trace:

>> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Malformed \uxxxx encoding.

>>     at java.util.Properties.loadConvert(Properties.java:492)

>>     at java.util.Properties.load(Properties.java:331)

>>     at

>> com.zerog.common.java.util.PropertiesUtil.loadProperties(DashoA10*..)

>>     at com.zerog.lax.LAX.<init>(DashoA10*..)

>>     at com.zerog.lax.LAX.main(DashoA10*..)

>> It turns out that this is caused by the prompt definition in my .bashrc

>> file:

>> export PS1='\u@\h \$ '

>> Since all the shell env variables are used to build the Java properties

>> file, these characters are interpreted as unicode which results in the

>> error. I was able to install after redefining this to a static prompt, but

>> the error persists when I try to run the application. As a workaround, I

>> have modified the Protege script on line 255 as follows:

>> # convert one backslash to four (changed from two)

>> gsub(/\\/, "\\\\\\\\", value)

>> Please let me know if this would have any unintended consequences.

>> Thanks!

>> --

>> Konrad Rokicki

>> SAIC / NCICB

Re: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Malformed\uxxxxencoding.

Jennifer Vendetti
Administrator
Hello Konrad,

I spent some time looking in the InstallAnywhere knowledge base and community forums and it appears that you are running up against a known issue with the InstallAnywhere software.  They list the cause of the "Malformed uxxxx Encoding" exception as:

InstallAnywhere is picking up the TITLEBAR and PS1 variables in the shell environment. Certain values may cause problems in the installer. For instance, one customer reported problems when the following environment variables were set:

TITLEBAR="\[\033]\@\h: w\007]\"
PS1="${TITLEBAR}[\w]\n\u@\h$ "

... and offer a workaround of:

Run “unset” on both environment variables prior to installing. Keep in mind that if PS1 is unset, then the shell prompt will be invisible.

The full text of the issue report is available on their website: http://tinyurl.com/5l425d.

Jennifer