(local) closed world reasoning / K operator via Pellet ?

(local) closed world reasoning / K operator via Pellet ?

Jens Bürger
Hello all,

I would like to make use of (local) closed world reasoning via Protégé /
OWL-API.

I found this fairly old message on this list which sadly got no response:
http://protege-project.136.n4.nabble.com/How-to-switch-between-open-and-closed-world-reasoning-in-Protege-td7737.html#none

However, in this paper:
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.96.5433&rep=rep1&type=pdf

the authors claim:
"The reasoning support
for ALCK language has been implemented in Pellet to answer
CWA queries that use the K operator."

But I had no success in finding a documentation of Pellet, so I don't
know *how* to use the K operator.

As far as I could find out it seems as:

- Pellet is closed-source and commercial
- the Pellet plugin in the OWL-API repository is a fork
   of the open source Pellet to keep compatibility with more recent
   OWL-API versions
- There is another fork calles Openllet which is compatible with OWL-API
   5.1x and hence incompatible with Protégé currently

Does anyone have hints about LCW in Pellet?

Apart from that, there is TrOWL reasoner supporting LCW via a "NBox".
However, it does not seem to be developed actively anymore, since the
last release was in Jan 2015 and the Protégé plugin is incompatible with
Protégé 5.x.

Kind regards,

Jens
--
Dipl.-Inf. Jens Bürger
University of Koblenz-Landau

Office: B110, Campus Koblenz
Phone: +49 261 287-2705
Fax:   +49 261 287-100 2705

smime.p7s (6K) Download Attachment

Re: (local) closed world reasoning / K operator via Pellet ?

Igor Toujilov-2
Hi Jens,
I do the closed world reasoning successfully in the standard OWL and Protégé with Pellet without any other tool. For example, it is useful for calculating an aggregation on properties like a sum of property values. The general principle is to confine the individuals of interest in a closed set, for example, a linked list. You can see my example ontology in my MELO project here [1]. I am now annotating this ontology to explain details, which will be available later.
The K operator is non-monotonic, which throws an ontology out of the standard OWL 2 DL profile. That is why I do not recommend using it.

Cheers,
Igor

[1] https://sourceforge.net/p/meloproject/code/ci/master/tree/OWL/examples/list_sum.owl?format=raw