lost instances

zze-SIA Jamal RD-BIZZ-SOP

Hi all,

I have tried some features of Protege on an ontology I am working on.
But it seems that it deletes somes instances of classes that i had
previously described!
Does anyone know about this? I was tring to test the export options on
CLIPS and experimental xml... When i noticed that i had big red
rectangles around some InstanceListWidgets!
Thanks for your help.

Jamal

Lost instances

zze-SIA Jamal RD-BIZZ-SOP

Hi all!

I've already sent a previous message about this and i am still working
to understand what is going wrong with it.
I've discovered that when you create instances of a class and use those
instances as properties of other classes, then they get lost.
I had to properties which were defined as "instance of foo" and all the
foo instances disappeared.
Does anyone have a hint about that problem?
Thanks a lot.

Re: lost instances

Tania Tudorache

Jamal,

please provide us with a more detailed description of the steps that you
did and exactly what went wrong, so that we can reproduce the error. If
you got a red box around the instance list widget, it means that
something was wrong with the values of that slot for that specific
instance. If you point the mouse over the red box, you will get in the
tooltip the warning message saying what is wrong with the values.

Tania

zze-SIA Jamal RD-BIZZ-SOP wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I have tried some features of Protege on an ontology I am working on.
>But it seems that it deletes somes instances of classes that i had
>previously described!
>Does anyone know about this? I was tring to test the export options on
>CLIPS and experimental xml... When i noticed that i had big red
>rectangles around some InstanceListWidgets!
>Thanks for your help.
>
>Jamal

Re: lost instances

zze-SIA Jamal RD-BIZZ-SOP

Tania,

Thanks for this reply. I first created different classes and sub-classes. In some of the classes, i created some properties that were signaled as "instance of". That is : Class:"DataFlow" with property:"instance of GrpApplication" Then i created instances of all my classes. This also means that i used the properties that were designed as "instance of". I did create instances of GrpApplication in the first place so that i could use them in the property "instance of GrpApplication". Until now everything was going ok. Then, i wanted to export the ontology to an XML format. I saw the Experimental XML property and i used it. It seemed to work all right because i got an xml fairly explicit file. I also did an export in owl and clips to see what it would look like.
But the problem started after these tests. My original ontology in .pprj format lost all "GrpApplication" instances that i had created. Same for all the other classes that i had used in "instance of" like properties. I tried to recreate the lost instances but it says that "invalid frame name" and lights the text value in red. I know that we cannot have to objects in Protégé with the same name but i thought since the instances were lost i could create them again but no...
I installed Protégé v3.2beta thinking it was version problem but it's still the same. When i point the mouse over the red box, it says "value must be an instance of one of the allowed class", which is normal because all the instances of the allowed class have disappeared...
I'm now at this point. I just hope i won't have to recreate it all. I hope i gave enough details to understand what went wrong. Thanks for any help.

Jamal

please provide us with a more detailed description of the steps that you did and exactly what went wrong, so that we can reproduce the error. If you got a red box around the instance list widget, it means that something was wrong with the values of that slot for that specific instance. If you point the mouse over the red box, you will get in the tooltip the warning message saying what is wrong with the values.

Tania

zze-SIA Jamal RD-BIZZ-SOP wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I have tried some features of Protege on an ontology I am working on.
>But it seems that it deletes somes instances of classes that i had
>previously described!
>Does anyone know about this? I was tring to test the export options on
>CLIPS and experimental xml... When i noticed that i had big red
>rectangles around some InstanceListWidgets!
>Thanks for your help.
>
>Jamal

Re: Which plugin can show the relationship of an instance between all its properties

何琳

Hello,

I want to show the relationship graph of an instance between all its properties.
Which plugin of protege can work for it?
OWLViz and TGViz can show relation graph,but perhaps they only can show the relationship between all classes.

Thanks!

Best Regards
He Lin

Re: Which plugin can show the relationship of an instance between all its properties

Tania Tudorache

You can filter the graph in TGVizTab to show you only the
properties/slots that you want. Click on the configuration button (next
to the create graph button) in order to do that. You can also select to
visualize only a certain instance and also set the radius of the graph
which determines how many levels of the relationship you see.

Tania

何琳 wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I want to show the relationship graph of an instance between all its properties.
>Which plugin of protege can work for it?
>OWLViz and TGViz can show relation graph,but perhaps they only can show the relationship between all classes.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Best Regards
>He Lin

Re: lost instances

Tania Tudorache

Jamal,

it seems you really did some things that Protege did not expect you to do :)

So, from your email it seems that you "Converted", not "Exported", the
project to the XML backend. What it happens in this case, is that also
the pprj file is modified.
When you convert, you should always give another name to the pprj file,
otherwise the old one is lost. But, the content of the ontology (classes
and instances) are stored in the pins and pons file.

Then you did other exports or conversions in a row? I did not understand
that very well. This is not a typical case for Protege usage. Normally,
you convert a project to a format and then you use it. Anyway it seems
that the content of the ontology got inconsistent during all the
translations.

If you still have the pins and pons files, or the xml file, you can
rebuild the project file (pprj) by creating a new project and activating
the "Create from existing sources" and follow the wizard steps.

If you don't succed, you can send me the files that you have and I can
try to "rescue" them.

Tania

zze-SIA Jamal RD-BIZZ-SOP wrote:

>Tania,
>
>Thanks for this reply. I first created different classes and sub-classes. In some of the classes, i created some properties that were signaled as "instance of". That is : Class:"DataFlow" with property:"instance of GrpApplication" Then i created instances of all my classes. This also means that i used the properties that were designed as "instance of". I did create instances of GrpApplication in the first place so that i could use them in the property "instance of GrpApplication". Until now everything was going ok. Then, i wanted to export the ontology to an XML format. I saw the Experimental XML property and i used it. It seemed to work all right because i got an xml fairly explicit file. I also did an export in owl and clips to see what it would look like.
>But the problem started after these tests. My original ontology in .pprj format lost all "GrpApplication" instances that i had created. Same for all the other classes that i had used in "instance of" like properties. I tried to recreate the lost instances but it says that "invalid frame name" and lights the text value in red. I know that we cannot have to objects in Protégé with the same name but i thought since the instances were lost i could create them again but no...
>I installed Protégé v3.2beta thinking it was version problem but it's still the same. When i point the mouse over the red box, it says "value must be an instance of one of the allowed class", which is normal because all the instances of the allowed class have disappeared...
>I'm now at this point. I just hope i won't have to recreate it all. I hope i gave enough details to understand what went wrong. Thanks for any help.
>
>Jamal

Re: lost instances

zze-SIA Jamal RD-BIZZ-SOP

Many thanks Tania.  I used the pins , pons and pprj files to rebuild a new project. The xml one wasn't necessary... And it works!