maintaining ontologies

Girish Joglekar
If I change an ontology (add/delete/rearrange properties etc.) how do I
systematically migrate old ontologies to the new definitions. I realize
that if I add a class or a property, I do not have to do anything. But
otherwise, I will have to do something programmatically. Is there a
users manual which explains maintenance of ontologies in general? Also,
how does svn fit into these schemes? I prefer to use Eclipse/Windows
development platform. Thanks much.
Girish Joglekar

Re: maintaining ontologies

Hi Girish,

This is quite a big topic.  There is quite a lot of research on ontology versioning and evolution and a fair number of tools that support tasks related to these topics.  Here are some things related to Protege 4....

Some recent work, that is very nice, is work by Rafael Gonçalves at the university of Manchester - he looks at analysing changes between different versions of ontologies.  Here's a pointer to various publications on this:

http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~goncalvj/publications.html

Timothy Redmond and Natasha Noy have also done some recent work in this area and have produced a Protege 4 plugin.  Here's their paper

http://ceur-ws.org/Vol-784/evodyn6.pdf

and here's their plugin

http://smi-protege.stanford.edu/repos/protege/protege4/plugins/org.protege.editor.owl.diff/trunk/

There's also the OWLDiff plugin:

http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/OWLDiff

In terms of versioning with SVN, there were some recent posts on the Protege mailing lists about this.  A search through the archives should reveal some interesting posts.