metaproperties?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

metaproperties?

Carmen Martinez Cruz
Hello

In my ontology there is defined a metaclass with some properties, but, I want
to define some extra properties (I dont know if them are meta-properties) in
order to be present in the instances of this metaclass. Then The instance, a
new class, should had these properties defined.

The problem is Protege do not allow to add in its interface  metaproperties in
the metaclasses definition. Do you know how can I solve this problem?

Thanks a lot

Carmen.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe go to http://protege.stanford.edu/community/subscribe.html

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: metaproperties?

Mark Feblowitz
If you want the properties induced in the Class (not in its
individuals) and have the values of the properties be associated with
the class, you can add the properties to the metaclass in the usual
way. If you intend the values of these properties to have any bearing
on the individuals of the class, you'll have to achieve that via a
separate reasoner.

If you want them to be properties of the individuals, you'll want
them to be defined for a "superclass", not a metaclass.

If you need a metaclass at all, you might need a parallel hierarchy
of classes/subclasses and corresponding metaclasses. Otherwise, just
stick to superclass/subclass.

You can see how to add metaclasses and properties in my prior message
"Re: Classes as Individuals" (posted on February 8th).

It's probably best to try to represent this in Owl, without
metaclasses. Owl with metaclasses is not within Owl DL and is not
computable, so with metaclasses you would lose the ability to run a
reasoner against your ontology.

Hope that helps,

Mark

At 12:51 PM 2/10/2006, you wrote:

>Hello
>
>In my ontology there is defined a metaclass with some properties, but, I want
>to define some extra properties (I dont know if them are meta-properties) in
>order to be present in the instances of this metaclass. Then The instance, a
>new class, should had these properties defined.
>
>The problem is Protege do not allow to add in its interface  metaproperties in
>the metaclasses definition. Do you know how can I solve this problem?
>
>Thanks a lot
>
>Carmen.
>-------------------------------------------------------------------------
>To unsubscribe go to http://protege.stanford.edu/community/subscribe.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe go to http://protege.stanford.edu/community/subscribe.html

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: metaproperties?

Carmen Martinez Cruz
Sorry, I read your answer but I could solve my problem, I try to explain again
  because I need to clarify me.

Yes I need a metaclass at all (p.e. mymetaclass), with some properties (they
are properties of the metaclass, this is ok). But when I instance mymetaclass
I got a new class (myclass) subclass of owl:thing. This class do not have
properties!. I want "myclass" have some properties on it. How can I got it?.
As you said, Using a paralel hierarchy I can not include the properties on it,
because instances of metaclasses always are subclases of owl:thing in protege,
so do not inherit of its parents properties (because myclass do not have more
parents than owl:thing).

I thought metaproperties could solve the problem. But I can not choose any in
the property list.

Is there any solution?

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 13:14:08 -0500, Mark Feblowitz wrote

> If you want the properties induced in the Class (not in its
> individuals) and have the values of the properties be associated
> with the class, you can add the properties to the metaclass in the
> usual way. If you intend the values of these properties to have any
> bearing on the individuals of the class, you'll have to achieve that
> via a separate reasoner.
>
> If you want them to be properties of the individuals, you'll want
> them to be defined for a "superclass", not a metaclass.
>
> If you need a metaclass at all, you might need a parallel hierarchy
> of classes/subclasses and corresponding metaclasses. Otherwise, just
> stick to superclass/subclass.
>
> You can see how to add metaclasses and properties in my prior
> message "Re: Classes as Individuals" (posted on February 8th).
>
> It's probably best to try to represent this in Owl, without
> metaclasses. Owl with metaclasses is not within Owl DL and is not
> computable, so with metaclasses you would lose the ability to run a
> reasoner against your ontology.
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> Mark
>
> At 12:51 PM 2/10/2006, you wrote:
> >Hello
> >
> >In my ontology there is defined a metaclass with some properties, but, I want
> >to define some extra properties (I dont know if them are meta-properties) in
> >order to be present in the instances of this metaclass. Then The instance, a
> >new class, should had these properties defined.
> >
> >The problem is Protege do not allow to add in its interface  metaproperties in
> >the metaclasses definition. Do you know how can I solve this problem?
> >
> >Thanks a lot
> >
> >Carmen.
> >-------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >To unsubscribe go to http://protege.stanford.edu/community/subscribe.html
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe go to http://protege.stanford.edu/community/subscribe.html


--
Carmen Martínez Cruz
Ayudante
Dpto. de Informática
Universidad de Jaén

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe go to http://protege.stanford.edu/community/subscribe.html

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: metaproperties?

Schentz Herbert
In reply to this post by Carmen Martinez Cruz
Hi Carmen!
I am using a metaclass within http://www.umweltbundesamt.at/fileadmin/site/daten/Ontologien/CEDEX/owl/cedexCore.owl
I did it that way: After creation of a new class, right click that new class - choose "metaclass" -> "change metaclass" from the menu and then assign the metaclass to your new class.

I hope that helps.

Herbert Schentz
IT-Entwicklung
IT-Development
T: +43-(0)1-313 04/5308
F: +43-(0)1-313 04/3555
<mailto:[hidden email]>




-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]] Im Auftrag von Carmen Martinez Cruz
Gesendet: Montag, 13. Februar 2006 17:44
An: [hidden email]
Betreff: [protege-owl] Re: metaproperties?


Sorry, I read your answer but I could solve my problem, I try to explain again
  because I need to clarify me.

Yes I need a metaclass at all (p.e. mymetaclass), with some properties (they are properties of the metaclass, this is ok). But when I instance mymetaclass I got a new class (myclass) subclass of owl:thing. This class do not have properties!. I want "myclass" have some properties on it. How can I got it?. As you said, Using a paralel hierarchy I can not include the properties on it, because instances of metaclasses always are subclases of owl:thing in protege, so do not inherit of its parents properties (because myclass do not have more parents than owl:thing).

I thought metaproperties could solve the problem. But I can not choose any in the property list.

Is there any solution?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe go to http://protege.stanford.edu/community/subscribe.html

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: metaproperties?

Nick Drummond
In reply to this post by Carmen Martinez Cruz
Carmen,

Please could you clarify:

1) When you say properties of the metaclass, how are you adding
properties to the metaclass?
    There are at least 3 mechanisms:
        i) restrictions
        ii) annotations
        iii) adding a widget for the property (using the + button on the
top right) and filling in values

2) When you say myclass should have properties on it, again this does
not really sit with traditional OWL modelling - what are you expecting
to see?

Could you create a concrete example to demonstrate and tell me what you
expect to be able to do? You can send the OWL and PPRJ file if that
helps to make it clear.

This is an interesting problem, because meta-modelling in OWL is an
under-investigated issue - and we would like to understand the use-cases.

Thanks

Nick

Carmen Martinez Cruz wrote:

>Sorry, I read your answer but I could solve my problem, I try to explain again
>  because I need to clarify me.
>
>Yes I need a metaclass at all (p.e. mymetaclass), with some properties (they
>are properties of the metaclass, this is ok). But when I instance mymetaclass
>I got a new class (myclass) subclass of owl:thing. This class do not have
>properties!. I want "myclass" have some properties on it. How can I got it?.
>As you said, Using a paralel hierarchy I can not include the properties on it,
>because instances of metaclasses always are subclases of owl:thing in protege,
>so do not inherit of its parents properties (because myclass do not have more
>parents than owl:thing).
>
>I thought metaproperties could solve the problem. But I can not choose any in
>the property list.
>
>Is there any solution?
>
>On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 13:14:08 -0500, Mark Feblowitz wrote
>  
>
>>If you want the properties induced in the Class (not in its
>>individuals) and have the values of the properties be associated
>>with the class, you can add the properties to the metaclass in the
>>usual way. If you intend the values of these properties to have any
>>bearing on the individuals of the class, you'll have to achieve that
>>via a separate reasoner.
>>
>>If you want them to be properties of the individuals, you'll want
>>them to be defined for a "superclass", not a metaclass.
>>
>>If you need a metaclass at all, you might need a parallel hierarchy
>>of classes/subclasses and corresponding metaclasses. Otherwise, just
>>stick to superclass/subclass.
>>
>>You can see how to add metaclasses and properties in my prior
>>message "Re: Classes as Individuals" (posted on February 8th).
>>
>>It's probably best to try to represent this in Owl, without
>>metaclasses. Owl with metaclasses is not within Owl DL and is not
>>computable, so with metaclasses you would lose the ability to run a
>>reasoner against your ontology.
>>
>>Hope that helps,
>>
>>Mark
>>
>>At 12:51 PM 2/10/2006, you wrote:
>>    
>>
>>>Hello
>>>
>>>In my ontology there is defined a metaclass with some properties, but, I want
>>>to define some extra properties (I dont know if them are meta-properties) in
>>>order to be present in the instances of this metaclass. Then The instance, a
>>>new class, should had these properties defined.
>>>
>>>The problem is Protege do not allow to add in its interface  metaproperties in
>>>the metaclasses definition. Do you know how can I solve this problem?
>>>
>>>Thanks a lot
>>>
>>>Carmen.
>>>-------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>To unsubscribe go to http://protege.stanford.edu/community/subscribe.html
>>>      
>>>
>>-------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>To unsubscribe go to http://protege.stanford.edu/community/subscribe.html
>>    
>>
>
>
>--
>Carmen Martínez Cruz
>Ayudante
>Dpto. de Informática
>Universidad de Jaén
>
>-------------------------------------------------------------------------
>To unsubscribe go to http://protege.stanford.edu/community/subscribe.html
>
>
>  
>

--

Nick Drummond

http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~drummond/ <http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/%7Edrummond/>
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe go to http://protege.stanford.edu/community/subscribe.html