misc requests

Alan Ruttenberg-2
Hi,

Some issues. None of them would seem to be large changes.

1)  In building the info.plist, could you include key CFBundleShortVersionString and make it something like: "4.2 r276". That way the version will show up in Get Info. I sometimes have multiple versions around and it is helpful if they have this marker.

2) It appears that Protege won't work with Java 1.7 on the Mac. The issue appears to be the apple Java application stub. A replacement is provided by http://java.net/projects/appbundler

3) Could there be a switch to control the startup behavior of Protege? I would prefer to have protege start with either no document, or with the old launcher to choose recent documents.

4) Could there be a switch to control whether protege quits when there are no more documents open? I would prefer that it not quit as it has recently.

5) Could there be a switch to control whether Protege asks, when opening each ontology, whether it should be loaded into the front window workspace? While this is perhaps a behavior a few people might use, the more common case is that one uses owl:imports to include documents and when opening a new document a new window is desired.

Best,
Alan

Re: misc requests

Steve Wartik

Timothy,

I agree with Alan that these would be useful changes. In particular I sometimes miss the old startup behavior and wish Protégé didn’t automatically exit when I close the last open ontology.

Regards,

Steve Wartik

Re: misc requests

Hi Alan,

> Some issues. None of them would seem to be large changes.
>
> 1)  In building the info.plist, could you include key CFBundleShortVersionString and make it something like: "4.2 r276". That way the version will show up in Get Info. I sometimes have multiple versions around and it is helpful if they have this marker.

Yes, we'll take a look at this.

> 2) It appears that Protege won't work with Java 1.7 on the Mac. The issue appears to be the apple Java application stub. A replacement is provided by http://java.net/projects/appbundler

Thanks for the pointer.  We'll take a look at it.

> 3) Could there be a switch to control the startup behavior of Protege? I would prefer to have protege start with either no document, or with the old launcher to choose recent documents.

Yes.  We'll probably add an option to display the welcome screen that used to be there.

> 4) Could there be a switch to control whether protege quits when there are no more documents open? I would prefer that it not quit as it has recently.

We certainly appreciate the point and we'll have a think about what to do here.

> 5) Could there be a switch to control whether Protege asks, when opening each ontology, whether it should be loaded into the front window workspace? While this is perhaps a behavior a few people might use, the more common case is that one uses owl:imports to include documents and when opening a new document a new window is desired.

Yes.  I also get sick of this prompt. :)

Thanks for the suggestions!

Re: misc requests

Timothy Redmond

I took a look at the first two issues.

On 09/24/2012 12:21 PM, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
Hi,

Some issues. None of them would seem to be large changes.

1)  In building the info.plist, could you include key CFBundleShortVersionString and make it something like: "4.2 r276". That way the version will show up in Get Info. I sometimes have multiple versions around and it is helpful if they have this marker.

I fixed this in the latest svn and as you said it was quite trivial.  It seems to be working.

2) It appears that Protege won't work with Java 1.7 on the Mac. The issue appears to be the apple Java application stub. A replacement is provided by http://java.net/projects/appbundler

So I assumed that you are using the app bundle download.  I did not fully investigate but I suspect that the ant target you suggested has some problems for our case.  First, it is not clear that it will run properly in a windows build file and this is a requirement.  Even if it did, it looks like using that target would require us to redesign the .app bundle.

What I did instead was to get the JavaApplicationStub from the latest version of OS X and place that inside the Protege.app instead of what is already there.  I verified that it ran on my machine but I don't know if this is sufficient to enable Java 7.

The other thing that was suggested on one web page was to use a symbolic link.  It might be possible to have a portable build file put a symbolic link into a zip file.  If the current application stub doesn't work I will check.

-Timothy

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 8:28 PM, Timothy Redmond <[hidden email]> wrote:

I took a look at the first two issues.

On 09/24/2012 12:21 PM, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
Hi,

Some issues. None of them would seem to be large changes.

1)  In building the info.plist, could you include key CFBundleShortVersionString and make it something like: "4.2 r276". That way the version will show up in Get Info. I sometimes have multiple versions around and it is helpful if they have this marker.

I fixed this in the latest svn and as you said it was quite trivial.  It seems to be working.

Great!
2) It appears that Protege won't work with Java 1.7 on the Mac. The issue appears to be the apple Java application stub. A replacement is provided by http://java.net/projects/appbundler

So I assumed that you are using the app bundle download.

Yes.

I did not fully investigate but I suspect that the ant target you suggested has some problems for our case.  First, it is not clear that it will run properly in a windows build file and this is a requirement.  Even if it did, it looks like using that target would require us to redesign the .app bundle.

What I did instead was to get the JavaApplicationStub from the latest version of OS X and place that inside the Protege.app instead of what is already there.  I verified that it ran on my machine but I don't know if this is sufficient to enable Java 7.

I don't believe it is. Here is a quote from an apple employee on one of their developer lists. You can check by installing the java 7 at http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html and then setting the required java version to 1.7+ in the info.plist.

Re: JDK 7 with JavaApplicationStub

    • SubjectRe: JDK 7 with JavaApplicationStub
    • From: Mike Swingler <[hidden email]>
    • Date: Wed, 09 May 2012 08:51:21 -0700

Please don't encourage anyone to use the JavaApplicationStub from Apple anymore. It is deprecated, because it can only load the deprecated Java SE 6.

Thanks,
Mike Swingler
Apple Inc.

The other thing that was suggested on one web page was to use a symbolic link.  It might be possible to have a portable build file put a symbolic link into a zip file.  If the current application stub doesn't work I will check.

OK.
Best,
Alan

-Timothy