news ontologies

Emanuel Warhaftig
Hi, everyone!

I am a newcomer to Protégé and would appreciate if anyone could send me
a good tutorial or primer about Protégé.

Also, I am interested, in my research, in ontologies for news,
especially as pertaining to the subjects (categories and sub-categories
etc.) of news-items.

The NewsCodes controlled vocabularies of IPTC seem to be too shallow,
missing many sub-categories (except at the highest level). Besides, they
have only three levels. If anyone knows of better news ontologies
available, or related materials, please let me know.

Thanks

Emanuel

Re: news ontologies

Jennifer Vendetti-2

Emanuel,

Emanuel Warhaftig wrote:
> I am a newcomer to Protégé and would appreciate if anyone could send me a good tutorial or primer about Protégé.

Please check our Web site for documentation about Protege:

http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/users.html

In particular, you may find the Ontology Development 101, Getting
Started with Protege-Frames, and Getting Started with Protege-OWL
tutorials useful:

http://protege.stanford.edu/publications/ontology_development/ontology101.html
http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/tutorial/get_started/table_of_content.html
http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/owl/getting-started.html
> Also, I am interested, in my research, in ontologies for news, especially as pertaining to the subjects (categories and sub-categories etc.) of news-items.

Swoogle might be of use:

http://swoogle.umbc.edu/

Jennifer

Re: news ontologies

Emanuel Warhaftig

To Jenifer

Thanks a lot!

Emanuel Warhaftig

> I am a newcomer to Protégé and would appreciate if anyone could send
me a good tutorial or primer about Protégé.

Please check our Web site for documentation about Protege:

http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/users.html

In particular, you may find the Ontology Development 101, Getting
Started with Protege-Frames, and Getting Started with Protege-OWL
tutorials useful:

http://protege.stanford.edu/publications/ontology_development/ontology10
1.html
http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/tutorial/get_started/table_of_content.ht
ml
http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/owl/getting-started.html
> Also, I am interested, in my research, in ontologies for news,
especially as pertaining to the subjects (categories and sub-categories
etc.) of news-items.

Swoogle might be of use:

http://swoogle.umbc.edu/

Jennifer

Re: news ontologies

Vytautas Taujanskas

Emanuel Warhaftig <warhafti <at> bgu.ac.il> writes:

> Hi, everyone!
>
> I am a newcomer to Protégé and would appreciate if anyone could send me
> a good tutorial or primer about Protégé.
>
> Also, I am interested, in my research, in ontologies for news,
> especially as pertaining to the subjects (categories and sub-categories
> etc.) of news-items.

It is important what are your goals for news ontologies investigation. Anyway
you must get look at SIOC project page (http://rdfs.org/sioc/) - the ontology is
intended for online communities, but it has subset which can (must :) be used
for news or announcements ontologies.

Also you must look at syndication formats like RSS and Atom. Note that RSS 1.0
is also an ontology. Maybe link at Danny's Ayers blog is a good starting point
(http://dannyayers.com/topics/books/rss-book).

Open directory project (http://dmoz.org/) is used for assigning categories to
some items. It has hierarchy and othe types of relationships between categories
items.

Categorization of news items is also interesting to me, so feel free to ask
questions :)

Vytautas Taujanskas