ontology driven webapps

Surya Dhullipalla
Hi
I am interested in building a web app that uses an ontology that I created in Protege. I would like to know if there is any example anywhere that walks me through the steps to define an architecture, technologies/languages needed to build the application.
Thanks
--surya

Re: ontology driven webapps

Balhoff, James Patrick
Hi Surya,

I think there will be different answers depending if your application is editing the ontology, or using it as a read-only object; or if you want to use the ontology to provide reasoning services (you need it in memory in the OWL API), or instead you are mainly just navigating the hierarchy (can just query a triplestore). For editing the ontology, you could look at the implementation of WebProtege. For me the more typical situation is to have the ontology as a read-only resource (it is edited elsewhere). Here is a small web application that loads an ontology into memory using the OWL API and answers reasoner queries: https://github.com/phenoscape/owlery

It is written in Scala but you could do all the same stuff using Java. In other applications I load the ontology into a triplestore, possibly along with other data which references the ontology. You can query the triplestore using some embedded Java connection based on Sesame/RDF4J, or construct all your queries in SPARQL and communicate with the triplestore SPARQL endpoint over HTTP (Jena provides a Java API for this).

I’m sure there are many other possible architectures depending on your particular requirements.

Best regards,
Jim

On May 8, 2020, at 11:00 AM, Surya Dhullipalla <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi
I am interested in building a web app that uses an ontology that I created in Protege. I would like to know if there is any example anywhere that walks me through the steps to define an architecture, technologies/languages needed to build the application.
Thanks
--surya

Re: ontology driven webapps

There are two books I would recommend. They are both a bit dated but the concepts and most of the tools described are still there: Semantic Web Programming by John Hebeler et. al. (published by Wiley) and Programming the Semantic Web by Toby Segaren et al published by O’Reilley.

Also SPARQL is usually a big part of many industry applications so Learning SPARQL by Bob Ducharm is a good book as well.

A good resource to look at is Apache Jena which lets you manipulate your ontology via Java.

Btw, in my experience if you are working in the US business world, better to call your application Knowledge Graphs rather than Semantic Web.

Also, the Knowledge Graph Cookbook is a decent free book written by scientists at Pool Party and Allegro, IMO two of the leading vendors in the field. It’s not a hands on technical book like the others above, it’s more a book that explains the business justification and example real world applications of the technology: https://www.poolparty.biz/the-knowledge-graph-cookbook

On May 8, 2020, at 8:01 AM, Surya Dhullipalla <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi
I am interested in building a web app that uses an ontology that I created in Protege. I would like to know if there is any example anywhere that walks me through the steps to define an architecture, technologies/languages needed to build the application.
Thanks
--surya

Re: ontology driven webapps

Surya Dhullipalla
Hi Jim
Thank you very much! Will give a try :)
Thanks
Surya Dhullipalla Ph.D
Health Care Data Architect
IBM Watson Health

Re: ontology driven webapps

Surya Dhullipalla
Thank you Michael.

Thanks
Surya Dhullipalla Ph.D
Health Care Data Architect
IBM Watson Health

Re: ontology driven webapps

sanju tiwari
Hi Surya

You can take an idea from Quepy, a python based tool to provide question-anwering service.

I hope it will work . Although I had worked with Jena APIs to make an Ontology Web based tool.

On Fri, May 8, 2020 at 9:59 PM Surya Dhullipalla <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you Michael.

Thanks
Surya Dhullipalla Ph.D
Health Care Data Architect
IBM Watson Health

[...]

Regards
Dr. Sanju Tiwari
PhD, Post-Doc(Ontology Engineering Group, UPM, Madrid)
Member IEEE
Member Machine Intelligence Research Labs(MIR Lab), USA

Re: ontology driven webapps

Surya Dhullipalla
Thank you very much Sanju.

Thanks