ontology metrics

Rajverma
Hi,

One can find the number of classes, properties etc. from the Protégé -> Metrics option... however, it doesn't give any information regarding the number of individuals... is there any way to find out the total number of individuals that are defined (from user defined classes) in an ontology??

Cheers,
Raj

SQWRL query for total number of individuals!

Rajverma
It seems one can find the number of classes in an ontology from the SQWRL command: tbox:isClass(?c) -> sqwrl:count(?c)

http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SWRLTBoxBuiltIns

Btw, it is wrongly quoted there as this command lists the number of "individuals" in an OWL ontology, which is not the case...

I would still want to know a way out, either through protégé / SQWRL / SPARQL, to find the number of user defined individuals in an ontology...

Cheers,
Raj

One can find the number of classes, properties etc. from the Protégé -> Metrics option... however, it doesn't give any information regarding the number of individuals... is there any way to find out the total number of individuals that are defined (from user defined classes) in an ontology??

Cheers,
Raj

Re: SQWRL query for total number of individuals!

Rajverma
I just found out that the following command:

abox:isIndividual(?c) → sqwrl:count(?c) ^ sqwrl:select(?c)

gives the count of the individuals and displays them in SWRL editor... but it gives a big list, along with the predefined individuals that come along with SWRL... b'cos, for an empty ontology (along with SWRL) it gave 172 individuals... but I want to know only the user defined individuals... is there a way to filter out that particular info with a SQWRL query?

Cheers,
Raj

One can find the number of classes, properties etc. from the Protégé -> Metrics option... however, it doesn't give any information regarding the number of individuals... is there any way to find out the total number of individuals that are defined (from user defined classes) in an ontology??

Cheers,
Raj

Re: SQWRL query for total number of individuals!

Martin O'Connor
At the moment, SWRL entities are stored as individuals so will be
included automatically in this type of query. There is no easy way to
distinguish them from other individuals, though the abox:hasURI built-in
could be used in association with string built-ins as possible solution.
I plan to add a abox:hasPrefix built-in which would make this process a
little easier.

Martin

Mudunuri, Venkata Rajashekar Varma wrote:

> I just found out that the following command:
>
> abox:isIndividual(?c) → sqwrl:count(?c) ^ sqwrl:select(?c)
>
> gives the count of the individuals and displays them in SWRL editor... but it gives a big list, along with the predefined individuals that come along with SWRL... b'cos, for an empty ontology (along with SWRL) it gave 172 individuals... but I want to know only the user defined individuals... is there a way to filter out that particular info with a SQWRL query?
>
> Cheers,
> Raj

Re: ontology metrics

akh88
Hy

I am not very skilled programmer, ans I have to develope an applicatoin that analizez ontology metrics. Sicerelly I don't know were to begin, and if you know some tutorials or some steps that I can use I would be very gratefull.

ps. I have to develop a java aplication, using Jena to parse my ontology's. And I think I have to work with graphs after i parse the ontology XML. I hope i got it right...I have know ideea, i'm really confuzed. Please help me. :D

Re: ontology metrics

akh88
Hy

I am not a very skilled programmer, and I have to develope an applicatoin that analizez ontology metrics. Sicerelly I don't know were to begin, and if you know some tutorials or some steps that I can use I would be very gratefull.