ontology or excel sheet what is the different?

ontology or excel sheet what is the different?

Aicha Benelhadj djelloul
hello everybody,
i want to shared with you the different between i import the data from an excel sheet directly to my application and i use ontology for representation my data,
i hope that all of you participate in this message for more comprehension of use of ontologies in almost domain.
thank you for all.

Re: ontology or excel sheet what is the different?

Igor Toujilov-2

Hi Aicha,

Here are the following points in favour of using OWL instead of a spreadsheet format for the purpose of application interoperability.

1. OWL is a world standard. So, application developers are supposed to use an OWL ontology more likely than your or someone’s else spreadsheet, which is required to be rigorously specified, which is not achievable because you cannot come to agreement with other “spreadsheet ontology developers”.

2. OWL has the rigorous mathematical foundation in description logics, which spreadsheets do not have.

3. Based on the previous point, OWL has logical reasoning capabilities, which spreadsheets do not have.

Regards,

Igor

Re: ontology or excel sheet what is the different?

sanju tiwari
Dear Aicha
Excel sheet stored only structured data while ontology have any type of data in a hierarchical form and give an efficient reasoning.

Excel follows close world assumption while Ontology follows Open world assumption.

Excel is type of database while ontology is a type of knowledge base.

On Sat, 22 Dec 2018, 20:22 Igor Toujilov, <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Aicha,

Here are the following points in favour of using OWL instead of a spreadsheet format for the purpose of application interoperability.

1. OWL is a world standard. So, application developers are supposed to use an OWL ontology more likely than your or someone’s else spreadsheet, which is required to be rigorously specified, which is not achievable because you cannot come to agreement with other “spreadsheet ontology developers”.

2. OWL has the rigorous mathematical foundation in description logics, which spreadsheets do not have.

3. Based on the previous point, OWL has logical reasoning capabilities, which spreadsheets do not have.

Regards,

Igor

Re: ontology or excel sheet what is the different?

rrovetto
Some input..

1) Just because something has gone through a standards process, does not mean anyone must use it. And it does not mean it is the best option.
2) OWL is one implementation language among many.
3) OWL has noted problems and limitations, e.g., in it's expressivity. There are more expressive knowledge representation languages such as Common Logic.
4) Although the open world assumption is often best over a close world assumption, not all ontologies follow open world assumption.

Robert
--
Seeking opportunities (studentship or employment)
Help other succeed and you will.

Google Scholar, ORCID Profile, ResearcherID
Ask to connect on LinkedIn and ResearchGate
Academia.edu Profile
, DBLP Comp Sci

On Sat, Dec 22, 2018 at 10:17 AM Sanju Tiwari <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Robert,

Of course, nobody can force you to use OWL. The purpose of standards is to boost interoperability. Sometimes de facto standards are better than official ones. Anyway we need to follow some standards (official or de facto), otherwise we cannot come to an agreement, and we will lose the precious opportunities for interoperable applications.

That is why a bad standard is better than absence of standards. And eventually the most widespread standard wins, not necessary the most sophisticated one. It’s like Darwin’s evolution: the most practical survives, not necessary the most beautiful.

Do you suggest using something else instead of OWL? If so, what is it?

Regards,

Igor

Re: ontology or excel sheet what is the different?

Bohms, H.M. (Michel)

Some more views 😊 after >

Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2019 at 1:58 AM
From: [hidden email]
To: "User support for WebProtege and Protege Desktop" <[hidden email]>

https://dv-website.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/2017/09/092217-pic2.jpg(the future? Evolution will tellto speak with Igor)

2) OWL is one implementation language among many.

>be careful with the term implementation’….it sounds like software..key thing is that owl is 100% conceptual & software-independent

3) OWL has noted problems and limitations, e.g., in it's expressivity. There are more expressive knowledge representation languages such as Common Logic.

>sure, but focus on what CAN be done with it..and what about SHACL? Or dont you like CWA?

>looking at current practice, bim, gis, product datathe expressivity seems fine (well on the constraint side advanced shacl is a welcome addition making it possible to constrain not only on class-level but have custom targets)

- we need better tools to make it simpler for end/domain-usersI simply cannot show them protégé or topbraid eg

4) Although the open world assumption is often best over a close world assumption, not all ontologies follow open world assumption.

>that is a meta-assumption……90% of our practical use case we address at TNO are closed worldpeople want to verify data or derive data having a closed world view related to one organisation or group of organisations.

> most of our clients do not want that anybody can say anything about anything..

> Michel

Robert