open rdfs with protege 5.5

Emilio
Hello,

I can not manage to open a rdfs file (with no OWL expressions) with Protègè.
When I try to open the ontology (File > Open), Protègè doesn't allow me to
select the .rdfs file.

I found some info on the forum/web resources, but I wasn't able to deal with
the issue on Protègè 5.5.

Any comment is welcome.

Emilio

Re: open rdfs with protege 5.5

Lorenz Buehmann
You can always open all files if you change "Files of Type" to "All files"

Nevertheless, Protege is an OWL ontology editor. Plain RDFS hierarchy
might work, property handling will fail because it has to be either
object property or data property, otherwise all properties will be
handles as annotation properties which makes those semantically
meaningless and not considered by reasoners.

On 18.10.19 09:51, Emilio wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I can not manage to open a rdfs file (with no OWL expressions) with Protègè.
> When I try to open the ontology (File > Open), Protègè doesn't allow me to
> select the .rdfs file.
>
> I found some info on the forum/web resources, but I wasn't able to deal with
> the issue on Protègè 5.5.
>
> Any comment is welcome.
>
> Emilio

Re: open rdfs with protege 5.5

Emilio
thanks for the feedback.
the problem is that I can not change the file type. See screenshot.
Perhaps I'm missing some basic thing..

Il giorno ven 18 ott 2019 alle ore 09:58 Lorenz Buehmann
<[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> You can always open all files if you change "Files of Type" to "All files"
>
> Nevertheless, Protege is an OWL ontology editor. Plain RDFS hierarchy
> might work, property handling will fail because it has to be either
> object property or data property, otherwise all properties will be
> handles as annotation properties which makes those semantically
> meaningless and not considered by reasoners.
>
> On 18.10.19 09:51, Emilio wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I can not manage to open a rdfs file (with no OWL expressions) with Protègè.
> > When I try to open the ontology (File > Open), Protègè doesn't allow me to
> > select the .rdfs file.
> >
> > I found some info on the forum/web resources, but I wasn't able to deal with
> > the issue on Protègè 5.5.
> >
> > Any comment is welcome.
> >
> > Emilio
> >

> > --
> > Sent from: http://protege-project.136.n4.nabble.com/Protege-User-f4659818.html

Emilio M.Sanfilippo

Screen Shot.png (258K) Download Attachment

Re: [External] Re: open rdfs with protege 5.5

Rolph, Don
But you should be able to rename the file to one of the supported file types.

What am I missing?

We regularly for example change file extensions on TTL files between .ttl and .txt.

the problem is that I can not change the file type. See screenshot.
Perhaps I'm missing some basic thing..

Il giorno ven 18 ott 2019 alle ore 09:58 Lorenz Buehmann <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> You can always open all files if you change "Files of Type" to "All files"
>
> Nevertheless, Protege is an OWL ontology editor. Plain RDFS hierarchy
> might work, property handling will fail because it has to be either
> object property or data property, otherwise all properties will be
> handles as annotation properties which makes those semantically
> meaningless and not considered by reasoners.
>
> On 18.10.19 09:51, Emilio wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I can not manage to open a rdfs file (with no OWL expressions) with Protègè.
> > When I try to open the ontology (File > Open), Protègè doesn't allow
> > me to select the .rdfs file.
> >
> > I found some info on the forum/web resources, but I wasn't able to
> > deal with the issue on Protègè 5.5.
> >
> > Any comment is welcome.
> >
> > Emilio
> >

> > --
> > Sent from:
> > https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__protege-2Dprojec
> > t.136.n4.nabble.com_Protege-2DUser-2Df4659818.html&d=DwIFaQ&c=Sexio4
> > usKrYWFsrnxgjbcQ&r=UqoUSamTF3rN96Kb9C-0ug&m=Ky5zpewENzG13PXyRuOuUevi
> > jg8y8tHgftoA4l4hSCk&s=0V7fMHyAjGO946WClgPQZm-4tvBno4fJk8K-qnlJROw&e=
> > bcQ&r=UqoUSamTF3rN96Kb9C-0ug&m=Ky5zpewENzG13PXyRuOuUevijg8y8tHgftoA4
> > l4hSCk&s=OBd8IcrRX5chZ-q1LAV4gxRZPTb1BRlK1D6aBdC3OZg&e=

> r=UqoUSamTF3rN96Kb9C-0ug&m=Ky5zpewENzG13PXyRuOuUevijg8y8tHgftoA4l4hSCk
> &s=OBd8IcrRX5chZ-q1LAV4gxRZPTb1BRlK1D6aBdC3OZg&e=

--
Emilio M.Sanfilippo

Re: open rdfs with protege 5.5

I think what Lorenz was saying is that when you use the File>Open dialog in Protege there is a little drop down menu at the bottom for the type of file that Protege can open that has the label "Files of type". The default is "OWL file" but you can change it to "All files"  See the screen shot below where I've changed it from the default. However, I agree with Lorenz you probably won't get much benefit from opening a straight RDF file in Protege. It may not even be able to open it but at least if you change the dialog you can try it and see.

Michael

ProtegeOpen.PNG

<[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> You can always open all files if you change "Files of Type" to "All files"
>
> Nevertheless, Protege is an OWL ontology editor. Plain RDFS hierarchy
> might work, property handling will fail because it has to be either
> object property or data property, otherwise all properties will be
> handles as annotation properties which makes those semantically
> meaningless and not considered by reasoners.
>
> On 18.10.19 09:51, Emilio wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I can not manage to open a rdfs file (with no OWL expressions) with Protègè.
> > When I try to open the ontology (File > Open), Protègè doesn't allow me to
> > select the .rdfs file.
> >
> > I found some info on the forum/web resources, but I wasn't able to deal with
> > the issue on Protègè 5.5.
> >
> > Any comment is welcome.
> >
> > Emilio
> >

> > --
> > Sent from: http://protege-project.136.n4.nabble.com/Protege-User-f4659818.html

Emilio M.Sanfilippo

Re: open rdfs with protege 5.5

Jim McCusker
"RDFS" isn't a file type, it's a schema expressed in an abstract data model. RDFS schemas can be expressed as RDF/XML, Turtle, TriG, JSON-LD, or other formats. However that file was originally serialized would be the actual file type, not ".rdfs". This file is most likely either in RDF/XML or Turtle, and if you open it in a text editor, you'll see which one it is. Then you can change the extension accordingly (RDF/XML -> .rdf, Turtle -> .ttl)

Jim

<[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> You can always open all files if you change "Files of Type" to "All files"
>
> Nevertheless, Protege is an OWL ontology editor. Plain RDFS hierarchy
> might work, property handling will fail because it has to be either
> object property or data property, otherwise all properties will be
> handles as annotation properties which makes those semantically
> meaningless and not considered by reasoners.
>
> On 18.10.19 09:51, Emilio wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I can not manage to open a rdfs file (with no OWL expressions) with Protègè.
> > When I try to open the ontology (File > Open), Protègè doesn't allow me to
> > select the .rdfs file.
> >
> > I found some info on the forum/web resources, but I wasn't able to deal with
> > the issue on Protègè 5.5.
> >
> > Any comment is welcome.
> >
> > Emilio
> >

> > --
> > Sent from: http://protege-project.136.n4.nabble.com/Protege-User-f4659818.html

Emilio M.Sanfilippo

Jim McCusker

Director, Data Operations
Tetherless World Constellation
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
[hidden email]
http://tw.rpi.edu

Re: open rdfs with protege 5.5

Alex Shkotin
Emilio,

First, maybe you can add .owl at the end of your file name.
Second, to follow Lorenz, they say, it should be done some conversion RDF to OWL2, like this https://github.com/sszuev/ont-converter

Alex