ordered lists in OWL

Jean-Marc Vanel
To model in OWL a route through several cities, I do not know what is good practice: use rdf:List , or rdf:Seq , or something else .

As a side note,
I read in the FAQ "How do I create properties with duplicates and / or ordered values (with rdf: List)?" .
http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/owl-faq.html#ordered
In fact it does not happen as described. I then discovered that to use rdf:List with Protégé 4, one must import the definition of RDF Schema ontology as:
http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-schema/rdfs-namespace

--
Jean-Marc Vanel
Consulting, services, training,

Re: ordered lists in OWL

Jean-Marc Vanel
2010/1/6 Jean-Marc Vanel <[hidden email]>
To model in OWL a route through several cities, I do not know what is good practice: use rdf:List , or rdf:Seq , or something else .

After re-reading the RDF specification, I think that both are possible.
rdf:Seq and rdf:Bag are for general purpose containers, which, in accordance with the Open World Assumption underlying OWL, have possibly other items not in the current knowledge base.
http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-rdf-primer-20040210/#containers

On the other hand, using rdf:List is for explicitely closing he collection, since the last item has rdf:rest with a value of rdf:nil .
 http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-rdf-primer-20040210/#collections

So, for my example, I would choose a rdf:List .

For a list of expenses in chronological order, that is (alas) never ending, I would choose a rdf:Seq.

--
Jean-Marc Vanel
Consulting, services, training,
Rule-based programming, Semantic Web
http://jmvanel.free.fr/
+33 (0)6 89 16 29 52 -- +33 (0)1 39 55 58 16

Re: ordered lists in OWL

Timothy Redmond

> To model in OWL a route through several cities, I do not know what is
> good practice: use rdf:List , or rdf:Seq , or something else .
You are thinking at the rdf level of abstraction and not the owl level.
If you use rdf:List or rdf:Seq then you will have an owl full
specification.  Reasoners generally will not work and it is very likely
that the meaning of the ontology will not be the same for each reader.

Nick Drummond has given several presentations where he has described how
to do what you want in OWL and exactly what you can say in OWL.  A quick
google search gives the powerpoint presentation [1] where he describes
the approach.  There is also an ontology that you can find here [2].

-Timothy

[1]
http://www.co-ode.org/resources/tutorials/bio/slides/owl-lists29_11_05.ppt
[2] http://www.co-ode.org/ontologies/lists/2008/09/11/list.owl

2010/1/6 Timothy Redmond <[hidden email]>

[...]

Thanks a lot Timothy .

So what I did is import the OWL List ontology from the generic URL
http://www.co-ode.org/ontologies/lists/list.owl

and particularize the class OWLList as a list of cities, by two owl:Restrictions :

Itinerary equivalentTo
  hasContents only City
  and OWLList
  and isFollowedBy only Itinerary

As exemplified in :
http://www.co-ode.org/ontologies/lists/examples/motif-example.owl

What I regret is that the OWL List ontology is not a standard ontology , but it's not a big deal.

--
Jean-Marc Vanel
Consulting, services, training,
Rule-based programming, Semantic Web
http://jmvanel.free.fr/
+33 (0)6 89 16 29 52 -- +33 (0)1 39 55 58 16
( we rarely listen to voice messages, please send a mail instead )

Re: ordered lists in OWL

Alejandra Gonzalez-Beltran

[...]

In case you haven't found it, further to the references that Timothy provided, there is a paper describing the list pattern:

Drummond, N., Rector, A.L., Stevens, R., Moulton, G., Horridge, M., Wang, H, Seidenberg, J. Putting OWL in Order: Patterns for Sequences in OWL, in 2nd OWL Experiences and Directions Workshop, Athens, GA

http://www.webont.org/owled/2006/acceptedLong/submission_12.pdf

Alejandra

Thanks a lot Timothy .

So what I did is import the OWL List ontology from the generic URL
http://www.co-ode.org/ontologies/lists/list.owl

and particularize the class OWLList as a list of cities, by two owl:Restrictions :

Itinerary equivalentTo
  hasContents only City
  and OWLList
  and isFollowedBy only Itinerary

As exemplified in :
http://www.co-ode.org/ontologies/lists/examples/motif-example.owl

What I regret is that the OWL List ontology is not a standard ontology , but it's not a big deal.

--
Jean-Marc Vanel
Consulting, services, training,
Rule-based programming, Semantic Web
http://jmvanel.free.fr/
+33 (0)6 89 16 29 52 -- +33 (0)1 39 55 58 16
( we rarely listen to voice messages, please send a mail instead )

RDF and OWL files size

Leyla Jael García Castro
Hello everybody,

I have recently read about some efforts to save data from Social Bookmarking sites (as Delicious) as RDF triplets and I am wondering about possible problems related to file size.

So, if you are expecting a huge quantity of data, is it reasonable to save it in a single RDF? Would you need to use more than one RDF and treat them as modular or federated ontologies? Or in that case is better to use a database and then some approach to export specific data as RDF?

Does Protége (version 3 or 4) have some limitations with huge RDF/OWL files?

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Best,

LG

Formal Concept Analysis Tab

天枢 于
Dear LG
      I would like to seek your help for downloading the Formal Concept Analysis Tab in protege_3.4.1,please tell me where I can find it and how to install.
Thanks
best regards
            Tian

--- 10年1月7日,周四, Leyla Jael García Castro <[hidden email]> 写道:

发件人: Leyla Jael García Castro <[hidden email]>
主题: [protege-owl] RDF and OWL files size
收件人: "protege owl" <[hidden email]>
日期: 2010年1月7日,周四,下午8:10

Hello everybody,

I have recently read about some efforts to save data from Social Bookmarking sites (as Delicious) as RDF triplets and I am wondering about possible problems related to file size.

So, if you are expecting a huge quantity of data, is it reasonable to save it in a single RDF? Would you need to use more than one RDF and treat them as modular or federated ontologies? Or in that case is better to use a database and then some approach to export specific data as RDF?

Does Prot間e (version 3 or 4) have some limitations with huge RDF/OWL files?

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Best,

LG

-----下面为附件内容-----

好玩贺卡等你发,邮箱贺卡全新上线!

回复: RDF and OWL files size

天枢 于
Dear LG:
      I would like to seek your help for downloading the Formal Concept Analysis Tab in protege_3.4.1,please tell me where I can find it and how to install.
Thanks
best regards
            TS

--- 10年1月7日,周四, Leyla Jael García Castro <[hidden email]> 写道:

Re: Formal Concept Analysis Tab

Leyla Jael García Castro
Hello Tian,

I am afraid I do not know this plugin. However, I found it in one of the Protégé Wiki pages (http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ProtegePluginsLibraryByType). It seems  there are 2 related plugins: FCAView (http://informatics.mayo.edu/LexGrid/index.php?page=fca) and FCA (http://www.newmiracle.com/gutao/); this last link seems to be broken but the first one is working.

I hope it helps.

Best,

LG

发件人: Leyla Jael García Castro <[hidden email]>
收件人: "protege owl" <[hidden email]>
日期: 2010年1月7日,周四,下午8:10

Hello everybody,

I have recently read about some efforts to save data from Social Bookmarking sites (as Delicious) as RDF triplets and I am wondering about possible problems related to file size.

So, if you are expecting a huge quantity of data, is it reasonable to save it in a single RDF? Would you need to use more than one RDF and treat them as modular or federated ontologies? Or in that case is better to use a database and then some approach to export specific data as RDF?

Does Prot�ge (version 3 or 4) have some limitations with huge RDF/OWL files?

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Best,

LG

-----下面为附件内容-----

好玩贺卡等你发,邮箱贺卡全新上线!

Re: Formal Concept Analysis Tab

kamalej seapho
Dear Tian

发件人: Leyla Jael García Castro <[hidden email]>

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Re: Formal Concept Analysis Tab

kamalej seapho
Dear Tian;

          You can download  the new version of Protege and
found the method of how to install it in this web site

            fang

Re: Formal Concept Analysis Tab

天枢 于
Dear fang:
        Thank you for your attention.your advice is nice,but I just want to download the plugin of the protege, in a word,I just want to find Formal Concept Analysis Tab of the protege_3.4.1 ,thanks a lot all the same.
Best
       Tian

--- 10年1月8日,周五, kamalej seapho <[hidden email]> 写道:

发件人: kamalej seapho <[hidden email]>
主题: Re: [protege-owl] Formal Concept Analysis Tab
收件人: "User support for the Protege-OWL editor" <[hidden email]>
日期: 2010年1月8日,周五,下午12:14

Dear Tian;

          You can download  the new version of Protege and
found the method of how to install it in this web site

            fang

Re: Formal Concept Analysis Tab

天枢 于
Dear LG:
        Thanks a lot for your help,it is just what I want,however the only problem now is the version of the plugin is for protege2.0, my protege version is 3.4.1,I just try to learn it ,thanks very much,you are so kind.
Bests
        Tian

--- 10年1月7日,周四, Leyla Jael García Castro <[hidden email]> 写道:

Re: Formal Concept Analysis Tab

Leyla Jael García Castro
Dear Tian,

Maybe you can contact the authors of the plugin and check with them new versions or suggestions about other plugins about FCA. You can also take a look on http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/index.php/Protege_Plugin_Library

Best,

Leyla