out of memory when loading the project.

nb_protege

Hi Everyone,

We have a memory problem with the Protege. We are not sure about the possible
reason. Any help is appriciated.

Following are some cases that I have tested:
 Case 1: Protege is on a desktop with WindowsXP. Backend can be either a flat
file or a MySQL database.
     -- Anything is fine. There is no any problem here.
 Case 2: Protege is on a desktop with Fedora 3 (RAM=256M). Backend can be
either a flat file or a MySQL database.
     -- Anything is fine. There is no any problem here either.
 Case 3: Protege is on a Dell Server with RedHat (RAM=1G). Backend is a MySQL
database.
     -- Can execute some queries written in Search API.
     -- However, I got OutOfMemory exeception when runing following query:
                SlotValueCondition condition =
                        new SlotValueSimpleConditionOnBrowserText(
                                StringValueComparator.MATCHES,
                                "*Synonyms*");
                KnowledgeBaseSearchIterator search =
                        new KnowledgeBaseSearchIterator(kb, condition);
                while (search.hasNext()) {
                        Frame frame = (Frame) search.next();
                        System.out.println(frame);
                }
     -- The interesting thing is that I repeat running this code three times,
and I can get result on the first execution. The execption is always thrown
out on the second execution. (I am testing the query performance, so i repeat
the execution of the same query three times).
 Case 4: Protege is on the same Dell Server in Case 3. Backend is a flat file
with size of 3.2M.
    -- Cannot load the project. Always get an OutOfMemory exeception.
    -- I can load the project on a desktop with 256M RAM. Why can I not load
it on a Dell Server with 1G RAM? What can the possible reason be?

By the way, we are investigating the feasibility of using Protege as the
framework of our Web-base application system. We have some concerns about the
performance of the query. Any suggestions, experience, or comments on this?

Re: out of memory when loading the project.

Barron, Keith
you might need to look at how much memory is being allocated to the Java Virtual Machine on the Dell machine compared to the other machines. the amount of total memory on the machine is not as important.

String processing in java can use a lot of memory.

if the memory allocated to the JVM on the Dell machine is the same as on the other machines, you might have to profile the memory usage on the Dell and on a working machine to see if there are differences in memory usage.

The Eclipse project has a good profiling tool in their Test & Performance Tools Platform project.

Keith

[...]

-- Type: application/ms-tnef
-- Size: 7k (7414 bytes)

Re: out of memory when loading the project.

Jennifer Vendetti

You may find the following page on our Wiki about scalability and tuning
helpful:

http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ScalabilityAndTuning

Jennifer