owl:OneOf and reasoner

Shepherd, Michael
Hi,

Can reasoners infer individuals based on owl:OneOf?  I have defined an owl:OneOf enumeration with values A, B, and C as the range for property hasIdentifier and domain of MyClass.  I have a subclass of MyClass called Btype which I assert necessary and sufficient conditions of
 - MyClass
 - hasIdentifier has "B".

Shouldn't the reasoner infer that all individuals of MyClass with hasIdentifier of value B are actually Btype as well?

Thanks,
Mike

Re: owl:OneOf and reasoner

Hai Wang
Hi Mike,
On 20 Apr 2006, at 21:21, Shepherd, Michael wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can reasoners infer individuals based on owl:OneOf?  I have defined
> an owl:OneOf enumeration with values A, B, and C as the range for
> property hasIdentifier and domain of MyClass.  I have a subclass of
> MyClass called Btype which I assert necessary and sufficient
> conditions of
>  - MyClass
>  - hasIdentifier has "B".
>
> Shouldn't the reasoner infer that all individuals of MyClass with
> hasIdentifier of value B are actually Btype as well?

Yes, it should be.

> Thanks,
> Mike

Regards
Hai

Research Associate
Department of Computer Science
Kilburn Building
University of Manchester
Oxford Road
Manchester M13 9PL
UK
Homepage: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~hwang

Re: owl:OneOf and reasoner

Shepherd, Michael

I'm using the latest Protégé 3.2 beta and Pellet, but it doesn't infer as I explained below.  Is this a bug in one or the other then?

Mike

On 20 Apr 2006, at 21:21, Shepherd, Michael wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can reasoners infer individuals based on owl:OneOf?  I have defined an
> owl:OneOf enumeration with values A, B, and C as the range for
> property hasIdentifier and domain of MyClass.  I have a subclass of
> MyClass called Btype which I assert necessary and sufficient
> conditions of
>  - MyClass
>  - hasIdentifier has "B".
>
> Shouldn't the reasoner infer that all individuals of MyClass with
> hasIdentifier of value B are actually Btype as well?

Yes, it should be.

> Thanks,
> Mike

Regards
Hai

Research Associate
Department of Computer Science
Kilburn Building
University of Manchester
Oxford Road
Manchester M13 9PL
UK
Homepage: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~hwang

Re: owl:OneOf and reasoner

Hai Wang
Hi Mike,
I tried it and the result has been inferred. Maybe you could send me
your ontology and let me have a close look.

Regards
Hai

On 21 Apr 2006, at 00:00, Shepherd, Michael wrote:

> I'm using the latest Protégé 3.2 beta and Pellet, but it doesn't
> infer as I explained below.  Is this a bug in one or the other then?
>
> Mike

Ulrike Sattler
hm, what's missing here is the information
whether the restrictions on hasIdentifier are
somevaluesfrom or vallvaluesfrom? If it
is allvaluesfrom, then the reasoner might have
been correct to *not* infer that your individuals
are Btypes as well.

Cheers, Uli

On 21 Apr 2006, at 00:00, Shepherd, Michael wrote:

> I'm using the latest Protégé 3.2 beta and Pellet, but it doesn't
> infer as I explained below.  Is this a bug in one or the other then?
>
> Mike

Possibly my problem is that my hasIdentifier property is an owl:DatatypeProperty with an owl:DataRange, but should instead be an owl:Class and an rdf:parseType="Collection".  Is it correct that reasoners cannot infer on DatatypeProperty?

If so, is there an easy to convert to owl:Class and not lose the values of this property in the individuals?