owl:Thing for every instance

Jaroslaw Slawinski-2
I am not sure it is a mistake or you decided to do it in purpose (I do
not think so), but it looks strange for me right now. In versions 112
and 113 (Windows version) of P4 I can create individuals - the first
has no class and the second has chosen one. Next, I save it and reopen
the file - now P4 displays that these two individuals are owl:Thing -
the
first has only this class and the second has the class set before and
owl:Thing). It is only a display effect - no additional information in
saved files.

I have checked also v. 108 (on Linux) and this version does not have
such effect.

It is a little bit disturbing, especially when individuals are multitypes.

Best regards,
Jaro

Re: owl:Thing for every instance

regmito
It seems to be not only a display effect: after saving changes in an
existing ontology file in Protégé 4 build 113 I compared the OWL file with
previous one, and have discovered that the owl:Thing class has been added
for each individual that has any other class assertion. This does not make
sense, and furthermore substantially increases the length of the file,
especially if it contains a lot of individuals.

As the build 113 uses new build of OWL API, I think it is an OWL API
serialisation issue.

Regards,
Igor

Re: owl:Thing for every instance

Nick Drummond
Hi Igor,

If I recall correctly, this was re-enabled as a quick fix to ensure
backwards compatibility with OWL 1 which specifies that individuals
must have at least one type. A more sensible solution is really
required for the parser/renderer to handle this.

Nick

2009/7/1 Igor Toujilov <[hidden email]>:

> It seems to be not only a display effect: after saving changes in an
> existing ontology file in Protégé 4 build 113 I compared the OWL file with
> previous one, and have discovered that the owl:Thing class has been added
> for each individual that has any other class assertion. This does not make
> sense, and furthermore substantially increases the length of the file,
> especially if it contains a lot of individuals.
>
> As the build 113 uses new build of OWL API, I think it is an OWL API
> serialisation issue.
>
> Regards,
> Igor

OK.
It is not important (for me) that every individual has owl:Thing.
Maybe just do not display in the editor that individual is owl:Thing?
It is rather poor solution and I believe the correct solution should
analyze OWL NS to decide what to do with unbind indvs.

Best regards,
Jaro

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 11:37 AM, Nick
Drummond<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Igor,
>
> If I recall correctly, this was re-enabled as a quick fix to ensure
> backwards compatibility with OWL 1 which specifies that individuals
> must have at least one type. A more sensible solution is really
> required for the parser/renderer to handle this.
>
> Nick
>

> 2009/7/1 Igor Toujilov <[hidden email]>:
>> It seems to be not only a display effect: after saving changes in an
>> existing ontology file in Protégé 4 build 113 I compared the OWL file with
>> previous one, and have discovered that the owl:Thing class has been added
>> for each individual that has any other class assertion. This does not make
>> sense, and furthermore substantially increases the length of the file,
>> especially if it contains a lot of individuals.
>>
>> As the build 113 uses new build of OWL API, I think it is an OWL API
>> serialisation issue.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Igor

Unfortunately, it is a problem with reasoning in Pellet because of it.

I have something like:
i1 a C1 in file F1
i2 a C2 in File F2 that imports F1
i1 sameAs i2

After serialization it shows that i1 and i2 respectively have also
owl:Thing but i2 has TWO relations rdf:type with owl:Thing

It blocks Pellet to reason correctly. If I temporarily (until the new
save) remove one owl:Thing from the i1 everything goes OK.

Do you have any temporary solution for it? Can I download a previous
version of P4 that does not have the 'smart' fix of owl1 (v. 111?)?

Best regards,
Jarek

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 11:37 AM, Nick
Drummond<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Igor,
>
> If I recall correctly, this was re-enabled as a quick fix to ensure
> backwards compatibility with OWL 1 which specifies that individuals
> must have at least one type. A more sensible solution is really
> required for the parser/renderer to handle this.
>
> Nick
>

> 2009/7/1 Igor Toujilov <[hidden email]>:
>> It seems to be not only a display effect: after saving changes in an
>> existing ontology file in Protégé 4 build 113 I compared the OWL file with
>> previous one, and have discovered that the owl:Thing class has been added
>> for each individual that has any other class assertion. This does not make
>> sense, and furthermore substantially increases the length of the file,
>> especially if it contains a lot of individuals.
>>
>> As the build 113 uses new build of OWL API, I think it is an OWL API
>> serialisation issue.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Igor

Hi Jarek,

What do you mean "blocks pellet to reason correctly"?
I don't understand why asserting type:Thing twice would block pellet.

Nick

2009/7/22 Jaroslaw Slawinski <[hidden email]>:

> Unfortunately, it is a problem with reasoning in Pellet because of it.
>
> I have something like:
> i1 a C1 in file F1
> i2 a C2 in File F2 that imports F1
> i1 sameAs i2
>
> After serialization it shows that i1 and i2 respectively have also
> owl:Thing but i2 has TWO relations rdf:type with owl:Thing
>
> It blocks Pellet to reason correctly. If I temporarily (until the new
> save) remove one owl:Thing from the i1 everything goes OK.
>
> Do you have any temporary solution for it? Can I download a previous
> version of P4 that does not have the 'smart' fix of owl1 (v. 111?)?
>
> Best regards,
> Jarek
>

> On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 11:37 AM, Nick
> Drummond<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Igor,
>>
>> If I recall correctly, this was re-enabled as a quick fix to ensure
>> backwards compatibility with OWL 1 which specifies that individuals
>> must have at least one type. A more sensible solution is really
>> required for the parser/renderer to handle this.
>>
>> Nick
>>

>> 2009/7/1 Igor Toujilov <[hidden email]>:
>>> It seems to be not only a display effect: after saving changes in an
>>> existing ontology file in Protégé 4 build 113 I compared the OWL file with
>>> previous one, and have discovered that the owl:Thing class has been added
>>> for each individual that has any other class assertion. This does not make
>>> sense, and furthermore substantially increases the length of the file,
>>> especially if it contains a lot of individuals.
>>>
>>> As the build 113 uses new build of OWL API, I think it is an OWL API
>>> serialisation issue.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Igor

[SPAM:#] {Virus?} RE: owl:Thing for every instance

regmito
Warning: This message has had one or more attachments removed
Warning: (Resource1.zip, the entire message, remove.exe, ZGWin32LaunchHelper.exe, win64_32.exe, install_proteg.exe, run.bat, lax_gui_highest.exe, install_protege_4.exe, lax_gui_admin.exe, win64_32_x64.exe, Execute.zip).
Warning: Please read the "UCL-Attachment-Warning.txt" attachment(s) for more information.

This is a message from the E-Mail Virus Protection System at UCL

The original e-mail attachment (install_protege_4.exe) is on the list of
unacceptable attachments for UCL and has been replaced by this
warning message.  This constraint is in place to protect users
from viruses and other malware.

If you think this attachment is a legitimate file and you wish to
receive it, please ask the sender to rename the file extension (eg
rename file.exe to file.ex_) and resend it to avoid this constraint.
On receiving the file you will have to save it and rename it back to
its original extension.  More information about renaming files, other
possible workarounds and the types of files that are blocked is
available at:

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/is/email/virus-scanning.htm

Reference: 1MTwOl-00078Y-8E

--
UCL E-mail Virus Protection System
[hidden email]

Re: owl:Thing for every instance

regmito
Avoiding attachment blockage for "exe" file extensions from our e-mail
services. Rename it back to "*.exe".

What do you mean "blocks pellet to reason correctly"?
I don't understand why asserting type:Thing twice would block pellet.

Nick

2009/7/22 Jaroslaw Slawinski <[hidden email]>:

> Unfortunately, it is a problem with reasoning in Pellet because of it.
>
> I have something like:
> i1 a C1 in file F1
> i2 a C2 in File F2 that imports F1
> i1 sameAs i2
>
> After serialization it shows that i1 and i2 respectively have also
> owl:Thing but i2 has TWO relations rdf:type with owl:Thing
>
> It blocks Pellet to reason correctly. If I temporarily (until the new
> save) remove one owl:Thing from the i1 everything goes OK.
>
> Do you have any temporary solution for it? Can I download a previous
> version of P4 that does not have the 'smart' fix of owl1 (v. 111?)?
>
> Best regards,
> Jarek
>

> On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 11:37 AM, Nick
> Drummond<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Igor,
>>
>> If I recall correctly, this was re-enabled as a quick fix to ensure
>> backwards compatibility with OWL 1 which specifies that individuals
>> must have at least one type. A more sensible solution is really
>> required for the parser/renderer to handle this.
>>
>> Nick
>>

>> 2009/7/1 Igor Toujilov <[hidden email]>:
>>> It seems to be not only a display effect: after saving changes in an
>>> existing ontology file in Protégé 4 build 113 I compared the OWL file
with
>>> previous one, and have discovered that the owl:Thing class has been
added
>>> for each individual that has any other class assertion. This does not
make

>>> sense, and furthermore substantially increases the length of the file,
>>> especially if it contains a lot of individuals.
>>>
>>> As the build 113 uses new build of OWL API, I think it is an OWL API
>>> serialisation issue.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Igor

install_protege_4.ex_ (19M) Download Attachment