owl to java

jamelmharsi
i have a java project where i read a owl file that i want to extract "owl classes", "object proprety" ,... into java object to use them in my program
please help me i am a beginner in using owl

Re: owl to java

Thomas Schneider-2
The OWL API has a nice documentation page with code examples:

http://owlapi.sourceforge.net/documentation.html

Thomas

On 06.07.2011, at 23:53, jamelmharsi wrote:

> i have a java project where i read a owl file that i want to extract "owl
> classes", "object proprety" ,... into java object to use them in my program
> please help me i am a beginner in using owl

Dr. Thomas Schneider
Universit├Ąt Bremen, FB 03
MZH, Raum 3100
Postfach 330440
28334 Bremen
Germany
+49 421 218-64432
http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/~ts/

Re: owl to java

jamelmharsi
thanx but these code for a file owl that i know their class,objectproprety,.. but i want to make a program that can open any project without knowing her proprety and data

Need clarification

Girish Joglekar
What are the differences between Protege-OWL API and OWL API? Does one
provide more functionality than the other?

Thanks much.

Girish

Re: Need clarification

Thomas Russ

On Jul 8, 2011, at 6:43 AM, Girish Joglekar wrote:

> What are the differences between Protege-OWL API and OWL API?

They are different takes on how to interact with OWL files.  In general terms, the Protege-OWL API provides a more "frame-like" view of OWL and the OWLAPI provides a more "axiom-oriented" view.

OWLAPI is a newer interface and handles all of the OWL 2.0 constructs.  Protege-OWL handles all of OWL 1.0 and some of OWL 2.0, so that may be a consideration.

> Does one provide more functionality than the other?

Each view has some things that are easier to do than the other one.  Looking at the examples for both will give you some idea of the differences, but for a full comparison you would have to look closely at the API documentation.

In general, unless you are planning to integrate a tool (plug-in) with the Protege 3.x code, you should use the OWLAPI to interact with owl files.  Especially if you use Protege 4.1 to create the owl files.

Re: Need clarification

Timothy Redmond

> What are the differences between Protege-OWL API and OWL API? Does one
> provide more functionality than the other?

The Protege-OWL API is an older api.  It was developed before the OWL
standards settled and is showing its age a bit.  It is the api used by
Protege 3 so if you are writing a Protege 3 plugin this is the api that
you will be using.  It is very powerful but it is somewhat complex and
it can be difficult to get a complete picture of what some code does.

The Manchester OWL api is a newer api.  It is based very closely on
standards and in fact it is possible to use the OWL syntax specification
as documentation for the core Manchester OWL api model.  It is the api
used by Protege 4 and so if you are writing a Protege 4 plugin it is the
api that you will be using.  Code written in the OWL api tends to be a
bit verbose but this is made up for by the simplicity and clarity of the
api.  This is the api that I prefer using in my OWL work.

-Timothy

Re: Need clarification

Girish Joglekar
TImonthy and Thomas,
Thank you both for your clarifications. I am assuming that OWL API
subsumes Protege-OWL API, and that there is nothing lost in migrating to
OWL API. It seems like everything will migrate slowly to OWL API because
it is compliant with the standard. Therefore, as a long term software
development decision would you recommend OWL API? Given that we in the
early stage of developing our application, should we switch to OWL API.
Also, do they have separate support list?
Thanks again.
Girish Joglekar

On 7/8/2011 12:19 PM, Timothy Redmond wrote:

>> What are the differences between Protege-OWL API and OWL API? Does
>> one provide more functionality than the other?
>
> The Protege-OWL API is an older api.  It was developed before the OWL
> standards settled and is showing its age a bit.  It is the api used by
> Protege 3 so if you are writing a Protege 3 plugin this is the api
> that you will be using.  It is very powerful but it is somewhat
> complex and it can be difficult to get a complete picture of what some
> code does.
>
> The Manchester OWL api is a newer api.  It is based very closely on
> standards and in fact it is possible to use the OWL syntax
> specification as documentation for the core Manchester OWL api model.
> It is the api used by Protege 4 and so if you are writing a Protege 4
> plugin it is the api that you will be using.  Code written in the OWL
> api tends to be a bit verbose but this is made up for by the
> simplicity and clarity of the api.  This is the api that I prefer
> using in my OWL work.
>
> -Timothy

Re: Need clarification

Timothy Redmond
On 07/08/2011 11:41 AM, Girish Joglekar wrote:
> TImonthy and Thomas,
> Thank you both for your clarifications. I am assuming that OWL API
> subsumes Protege-OWL API, and that there is nothing lost in migrating
> to OWL API.

There is nothing lost in converting to the OWL api.  In fact the OWL api
is complete in a way that the Protege-OWL api cannot be.

> It seems like everything will migrate slowly to OWL API because it is
> compliant with the standard. Therefore, as a long term software
> development decision would you recommend OWL API? Given that we in the
> early stage of developing our application, should we switch to OWL API.

Well this is a discussion that comes up periodically.  If the question
is between the OWL api and the Protege-OWL api then the decision is
clear; you should definitely use the owl api.  But there are other apis
out there and I believe that each one can make a case that it is the one
to use. In particular, I know that Clark-Parsia has an owl api of their
own that I have not tried yet.  If you are doing rdf as well as OWL then
you may want to look at triple store apis.

> Also, do they have separate support list?

They do have a separate mailing list and documentation.  The top level
web page for the OWL api can be found at owlapi.sourceforge.net.

-Timothy

> Thanks again.
> Girish Joglekar
>
> On 7/8/2011 12:19 PM, Timothy Redmond wrote:
>>
>>> What are the differences between Protege-OWL API and OWL API? Does
>>> one provide more functionality than the other?
>>
>> The Protege-OWL API is an older api.  It was developed before the OWL
>> standards settled and is showing its age a bit.  It is the api used
>> by Protege 3 so if you are writing a Protege 3 plugin this is the api
>> that you will be using.  It is very powerful but it is somewhat
>> complex and it can be difficult to get a complete picture of what
>> some code does.
>>
>> The Manchester OWL api is a newer api.  It is based very closely on
>> standards and in fact it is possible to use the OWL syntax
>> specification as documentation for the core Manchester OWL api
>> model.  It is the api used by Protege 4 and so if you are writing a
>> Protege 4 plugin it is the api that you will be using.  Code written
>> in the OWL api tends to be a bit verbose but this is made up for by
>> the simplicity and clarity of the api.  This is the api that I prefer
>> using in my OWL work.
>>
>> -Timothy

Re: owl to java

Tania Tudorache
You can generate the Java interfaces and implemenation from an OWL file
using the code generation available in Protege 3.4.x.

If you open the ontology in Protege 3.4.x, go to the Code menu, and you
have several options for generating Java code.

This wiki page explains you how it works and how you can interact with
your ontology from Java:
http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/BuildingSemanticWebApplications

Timothy is also working on a code generation for the OWL-API (and
Protege 4), which should be available soon.

Tania

On 07/08/2011 03:26 AM, jamelmharsi wrote:

> thanx but these code for a file owl that i know their class,objectproprety,..
> but i want to make a program that can open any project without knowing her
> proprety and data

Re: owl to java

Timothy Redmond

> Timothy is also working on a code generation for the OWL-API (and
> Protege 4), which should be available soon.

I have just released this plugin.  It is an early alpha but it has seen
a bit of use from a couple of developers, particularly Berkan Sesan who
provided some very useful feedback.  You can install it by clicking
File->Check for plugins and looking for the code generation plugin.

-Timothy