p4 refresh user interface doesn't preserve state of class tree

p4 refresh user interface doesn't preserve state of class tree

Alan Ruttenberg-2
When I refresh, some of the classes that I have showing subclasses
are closed.

Also, would be nice is refresh user interface be called automatically
when I am rendering using annotation values and I change an
annotation value used as a label.

-Alan

Re: p4 refresh user interface doesn't preserve state of class tree

Nick Drummond
Ni Alan,

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 1:01 PM, Alan Ruttenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
When I refresh, some of the classes that I have showing subclasses
are closed.

I'm not quite sure what you mean here. Do you have an example?

Also, would be nice is refresh user interface be called automatically
when I am rendering using annotation values and I change an
annotation value used as a label.

I've been working on this. It should be ready very shortly.

-Alan

Re: p4 refresh user interface doesn't preserve state of class tree

Alan Ruttenberg-2
Before and after picture selecting "refresh user interface" attached. Note that after the "dependent continuant" class has been collapsed.
-Alan

On Jun 30, 2008, at 6:15 AM, Nick Drummond wrote:

Ni Alan,

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 1:01 PM, Alan Ruttenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
When I refresh, some of the classes that I have showing subclasses
are closed.

I'm not quite sure what you mean here. Do you have an example?

Also, would be nice is refresh user interface be called automatically
when I am rendering using annotation values and I change an
annotation value used as a label.

I've been working on this. It should be ready very shortly.

-Alan

after.png (96 bytes) Download Attachment
after.png (36K) Download Attachment
before.png (100 bytes) Download Attachment
before.png (40K) Download Attachment

Re: p4 refresh user interface doesn't preserve state of class tree

Nick Drummond
Alan,

The refresh interface is supposed to force a complete regeneration of each view (it is really there as a magic bullet if the interface gets confused - which shouldn't ever happen right?).
The only reason any of the tree stays open is because it retains its current selection on the refresh - ie the path to the currently selected class will be expanded but no others.
This is the intended behaviour.

Nick

On Jul 14, 2008, at 11:47 AM, Nick Drummond wrote:

Alan,

The refresh interface is supposed to force a complete regeneration of each view (it is really there as a magic bullet if the interface gets confused - which shouldn't ever happen right?).
Right. In fact I wouldn't be using it if the interface didn't get confused.
The only reason any of the tree stays open is because it retains its current selection on the refresh - ie the path to the currently selected class will be expanded but no others.
This is the intended behaviour.
I guess that's for you to decide, but FWIW, I don't think it's a good behavior. From a user perspective it looks like it is trying to maintain context and then failing.
Best,
Alan