properties on classes?

Anthony McCallum
Hi,
Is there any practical way to attach properties to classes?  Or can
properties only be used in the context of individuals?

Thanks,
Anthony

Re: properties on classes?

Leyla Jael García Castro
Hello Anthony,

Are you talking about ObjectProperties and DatatypeProperties?
Programatically or using the editor?

Best,

LG

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 20:49:23 -0800
> Subject: [protege-owl] properties on classes?
>
> Hi,
> Is there any practical way to attach properties to classes? Or can
> properties only be used in the context of individuals?
>
> Thanks,
> Anthony

Re: properties on classes?

Thomas Russ

On Jan 12, 2010, at 8:49 PM, Anthony McCallum wrote:

> Hi,
> Is there any practical way to attach properties to classes?  Or can
> properties only be used in the context of individuals?

Short Answer:  Use an AnnotationProperty.

Long Answer:  It depends.

If you want to stay within the OWL-DL level of expressivity, then you
are limited to using Annotation properties for attaching information
to classes themselves.  In OWL-DL, ObjectProperty, DatatypeProperty
and AnnotationProperty are disjoint.  And you can't attach Object or
Datatype properties to classes or properties.  You also cannot have
classes or properties be property values, except for certain built-in
properties like equvialentClass, subClassOf, etc.

If you are willing to use OWL-Full, then AnnotationProperty is not
disjoint from ObjectProperty or DatatypeProperty.  You can attach any
properties to classes and you can also uses classes as property
values.  Reasoners are not guaranteed to work on OWL-Full ontologies,
although in practice the reasoners will generally function while
ignoring the OWL-Full constructs.

Re: properties on classes?

Anthony McCallum
Thanks for your response.  As of now I am still working on a simple classification which will not rely on reasoning.  However, I would like to ensure that this structure will allow for certain characteristics to be attached to some of the classes that I have defined.  So perhaps in the future, we would like to be able to reason and automatically classify individuals based on these properties.  Based on your answer, I understand that this could potentially be possible if I use OWL-Full.  This automatic classification will not be attempted for quite some time (if ever) so I believe that OWL-Full should be appropriate (assuming that new reasoners, etc. will now be using OWL-Full).  Please let me know if I am completely wrong on this.

On another note, is there any way to reason using annotation properties, or do these have no logical significance?

Thanks,
Anthony

Message: 5

On Jan 19, 2010, at 5:07 PM, Anthony McCallum wrote:

> Thanks for your response.  As of now I am still working on a simple
> classification which will not rely on reasoning.  However, I would
> like to ensure that this structure will allow for certain
> characteristics to be attached to some of the classes that I have
> defined.  So perhaps in the future, we would like to be able to
> reason and automatically classify individuals based on these
> properties.  Based on your answer, I understand that this could
> potentially be possible if I use OWL-Full.  This automatic
> classification will not be attempted for quite some time (if ever)
> so I believe that OWL-Full should be appropriate (assuming that new
> reasoners, etc. will now be using OWL-Full).  Please let me know if
> I am completely wrong on this.

There is some work on OWL-Full reasoners, but I'm not current with
what is being done.  In general, they are not as widespread because
you run into computational issues with OWL-Full.  That is why OWL-DL
has the restrictions it has -- to make tractable, sound and complete
reasoners possible.

> On another note, is there any way to reason using annotation
> properties, or do these have no logical significance?

The classifiers won't do any reasoning with annotation properties,
because they do not affect the structural definition of classes.
Really only the property restrictions do that, so that is what is
considered when performing classification (as well as asserted
subClassOf).

What sort of reasoning would you want to do with the annotation
properties?  And what sort of annotations do you wish to use?  A bit
of an example often makes it easier to come up with modeling
recommendations.

Some common examples of annotations would be things like a
lastChangedDate, author, etc. which you would want to attach to a
particular class.  The standard rdfs:comment is also like an annotation.