property1 AND property2 <=> property3 (is this possible)

property1 AND property2 <=> property3 (is this possible)

Rajverma

Hi List,

Suppose I have 3 object properties, say hasHealthyChild, hasMaleChild and hasHealthyMaleChild… Now I want to define that when ever two concepts, Parent and Child, are connected with both the properties ‘hasHealthyChild’ and ‘hasMaleChild’ then they should also be connected with the third property ‘hasHealthyMaleChild’…

It is intuitive to define these things in terms of concepts, but if I want to define them in terms of properties, is it possible?

Some thing like, " R1, R2, R3 [R1(x,y) Ù R2(x,y) ↔ R3(x,y)]

Cheers,

Raj

Re: property1 AND property2 <=> property3 (is this possible)

Matthew Horridge
Hi Raj,

This isn't possible in the current version of OWL (well transitivity
is a special form of this:  R o R -> R).

OWL 1.1 will support a restricted form of this.  See  http://www-
db.research.bell-labs.com/user/pfps/owl/syntax-20051219.html