[protege-owl] Datatype properties constraints

[protege-owl] Datatype properties constraints

Leonardo Jacques da Silva
Hi all,

I'm constructing an Ontology, which has a specific class with an attribute that can't assume negative float values, but I don't know how to represent it using Protege.
Perhaps, I can use one of the XML Schema types, for example, "non negative integer" as range of the Datatype property. Can I create a new type of XML Schema, for example , a "non negative float" ?

Leonardo Jacques

Re: [protege-owl] Datatype properties constraints

Tania Tudorache
Leonardo,

You can specify in the Protege GUI the range for a certain datatype
property.  For example, you can specify that myDatatype property is of
type float with a minimum value of 0. This is done in the following way:

1. Open in Protege an OWL ontology
2. In the "OWL" menu -> "Preferences.." enable the "Support user-defined
XML Schema datatypes"
3. In the Properties Tab create a datatype property called myDatatype
4. For the property, select the range "Float" from the drop-down list
5. You will see in the GUI, two text boxes in which you can set the
minimum and maximum values for the property. You can set the minimum
value to 0. These value constraints are also enforced at individuals
edit time.

I hope this helps.
Tania

Leonardo Jacques da Silva wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm constructing an Ontology, which has a specific class with an
> attribute that can't assume negative float values, but I don't know
> how to represent it using Protege.
> Perhaps, I can use one of the XML Schema types, for example, "non
> negative integer" as range of the Datatype property. Can I create a
> new type of XML Schema, for example , a "non negative float" ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Leonardo Jacques

Re: [protege-owl] Datatype properties constraints

Leonardo Jacques da Silva
Thanks a lot Tania!!!

On 10/9/06, Tania Tudorache <[hidden email]> wrote:
Leonardo,

You can specify in the Protege GUI the range for a certain datatype
property.  For example, you can specify that myDatatype property is of
type float with a minimum value of 0. This is done in the following way:

1. Open in Protege an OWL ontology
2. In the "OWL" menu -> "Preferences.." enable the "Support user-defined
XML Schema datatypes"
3. In the Properties Tab create a datatype property called myDatatype
4. For the property, select the range "Float" from the drop-down list
5. You will see in the GUI, two text boxes in which you can set the
minimum and maximum values for the property. You can set the minimum
value to 0. These value constraints are also enforced at individuals
edit time.

I hope this helps.
Tania

Leonardo Jacques da Silva wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm constructing an Ontology, which has a specific class with an
> attribute that can't assume negative float values, but I don't know
> how to represent it using Protege.
> Perhaps, I can use one of the XML Schema types, for example, "non
> negative integer" as range of the Datatype property. Can I create a
> new type of XML Schema, for example , a "non negative float" ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Leonardo Jacques

Leonardo Jacques