[protege-owl] [Fwd: [Fwd: Is it possible to express user preferencies through SWRL atoms?]]

[protege-owl] [Fwd: [Fwd: Is it possible to express user preferencies through SWRL atoms?]]

Paolo Bussotti

Hi everybody,
I would ask you some question: I am modeling a user profile trough a
profiling ontology that I import in another concept-free ontology (the
profile) purposing to create the profile as an individual  on the basis
of the classes and relations of the imported profiling ontology. Also
suppose I have a Domain Ontology  e.g. for tourism.
In several cases, e.g. "user preferences"  I often should  express  a
relation between  the profiled user  and  a class in the Domain ontology
if the preference is generic,
e.g. :  user1(individual)  hasPreference Seaside (class in the domain
ontology).
I know that I may use an annotation property  but I would like to remain
within OWL DL and, what is most important, have these information
processed by a  reasoner  and generate inference.
I ask you if it is possible to express the same expression through
OWL-SWRL by using a class atom of Seaside with a variable:
e,g.   user1  hasPreference (Seaside(?x))  , an expression on which
reasoning could be carried out by a rule-based inference.
Is it possible/convenient?
In every case, which is the state-of-the-art for rule engines for  SWRL
expression in a OWL ontology?
Another question: which is the state-of -the-art ontology-aware query
language for OWL? I  typically use OWL-QL that relies on its own  JTP
problem solver, but I would like to query an OWL-KB also using a DL
reasoner as Pellet.   Please answer these questions (they are urgent).
I thank all of you.
  Paolo