[protege-owl] Fwd: Path example in Windows

[protege-owl] Fwd: Path example in Windows

Alessandro Oltramari
Hi
sorry for the (maybe) trivial question.

I have a huge ontology (with a lot of imports) developed using the Macintosh platform: my files are located in "file"/home/alessandro/...."

In windows I know I have to change every path. I tried:

"C:\....\...."
"C"/..../...."
"file:C:/..../..."

but they don't work...

Could you help me?

thanks

Alessandro

[protege-owl] Re: Fwd: Path example in Windows

Doug Holmes
Hello Alessandro,
Possibly I have misunderstood your question, but if you are thinking about the "path" to ontologies you want to import, they are referenced - in owl- by URI's [usually, URL's] and are independent of any operating system.  So, every owl ontology is necessarily identified by a namespace, specified by a - hopefully unique - URL [e.g. <A href="http://www.loa-cnr-it/ontologies/some-ontology]">http://www.loa-cnr-it/ontologies/some-ontology] and the contents of the ontology are identified relative to that URL [e.g. a "unicorn" in "some-ontology" would be,  http://www.loa-cnr-it/ontologies/some-ontology#unicorn].  External ontologies can then be "imported" by reference to their URL. In most cases - but not all - the URL used to identify the ontology also identifies the "official" location of the ontology on some machine. So it doesn't matter whether you are looking for the ontology with a Mac, Linux, or Windows machine. The owl version of the DOLCE ontologies [<A href="http://www.loa-cnr-it/Files/DLPOnts/DLP_397.owl]">http://www.loa-cnr-it/Files/DLPOnts/DLP_397.owl] actually provide a pretty good example of how this works; you might like to look at them.
Doug

On Aug 20, 2006, at 11:34 AM, Alessandro Oltramari wrote:

Hi
sorry for the (maybe) trivial question.

I have a huge ontology (with a lot of imports) developed using the Macintosh platform: my files are located in "file"/home/alessandro/...."

In windows I know I have to change every path. I tried:

"C:\....\...."
"C"/..../...."
"file:C:/..../..."

but they don't work...

Could you help me?

thanks

--
Alessandro

[protege-owl] Re: Fwd: Path example in Windows

Dominic-8

Try "file:///C:/..../..."

Dominic Hong

[protege-owl] Re: Fwd: Path example in Windows

Alessandro Oltramari
Yes, I know. But I was using a local address in Mac for imported ontologies.  Maybe it is not the best choice but it is mandatory if you want to edit an ontology off-line. URI are ok anyway. But URL of the imported ontologies, since they are resident in the computer, must be of the type "file://".

Thanks to Dominic too: file:///C:/..../ is working!

ciao
On 20/ago/06, at 18:53, Doug Holmes wrote:

[...]

Research Fellow
Laboratory for Applied Ontology (LOA)
Institute for Cognitive Sciences and Technologies
National Research Council
(ISTC-CNR)
via Solteri, 38
I-38100 Trento (TN),Italy