[protege-owl] How to use WordNet plugin?

[protege-owl] How to use WordNet plugin?

Congmin min
I found WordNet is in my Protege plugin directories.

How can I use it in Protege 3.2?

Anyone has ever used it?

[protege-owl] Re: How to use WordNet plugin?

starred
Hi,

instructions for the WordNet tab are at:

http://protege.stanford.edu/plugins/wordnettab/install_wordnet.html

consider that it can be used (as far as I remember) with wordnet 1.6 and only under windows.

If you want, you can try the OntoLing plugin:

http://ai-nlp.info.uniroma2.it/software/OntoLing/

which is completely platform independent and has an interface for WordNet (other than other linguistic resources) compatible with WordNet up to version 2.0 (2.1 compatibility will come soon).

Cheers,

Armando

Ing. Armando Stellato
AI Research Group,
Dept. of Computer Science, Systems and Production
University of Roma, Tor Vergata
Via del Politecnico 1 00133 ROMA (ITALY)
tel: +39 06 7259 7718/7334 (office);
     +39 06 7259 7332 (lab)
fax: +39 06 7259 7460
e_mail: [hidden email]

Jennifer Vendetti-2
I have one small correction to Armando's answer.  The most recent version of the documentation for the WordNet Tab was recently moved to the Protege Wiki.  The proper URL is:

http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WordNetTab

Also, your memory served you correctly - the tab is outdated in the sense that it only works with the 1.6 version of WordNet.

Jennifer

Armando Stellato wrote:
Hi,

instructions for the WordNet tab are at:

http://protege.stanford.edu/plugins/wordnettab/install_wordnet.html

consider that it can be used (as far as I remember) with wordnet 1.6 and only under windows.

If you want, you can try the OntoLing plugin:

http://ai-nlp.info.uniroma2.it/software/OntoLing/

which is completely platform independent and has an interface for WordNet (other than other linguistic resources) compatible with WordNet up to version 2.0 (2.1 compatibility will come soon).

Cheers,

Armando

Ing. Armando Stellato
AI Research Group,
Dept. of Computer Science, Systems and Production
University of Roma, Tor Vergata
Via del Politecnico 1 00133 ROMA (ITALY)
tel: +39 06 7259 7718/7334 (office);
     +39 06 7259 7332 (lab)
fax: +39 06 7259 7460
e_mail: [hidden email]

[protege-owl] Re: How to use WordNet plugin?

starred

Ops...sorry! :-)

Armando

[protege-owl] Re: How to use WordNet plugin?

Steven Forth
Thanks Armando

Two questions,

Please Note: This plug-in only works on the Windows platform and only supports version 1.6 of WordNet.

Is anyone working on a more general (portable) version of this code for UNIX and Linux based systems?

Is anyone aware of projects comparable to WordNet in other languages?

Best regards

Steven Forth

Steven Forth

[protege-owl] Re: How to use WordNet plugin?

starred
Hi Steven

> Subject: [protege-owl] Re: How to use WordNet plugin?
>
> Thanks Armando
>
> Two questions,
>
> Please Note: This plug-in only works on the Windows platform and only
> supports version 1.6 of WordNet.
>
> Is anyone working on a more general (portable) version of this code for
> UNIX and Linux based systems?

Ok, you have two possibilities.

First of all, the WordNet Tab plug-in, together with the UMLS Tab plug-in (both developed at Stanford) is an extension of an abstract plug-in (I don't recall the name) for accessing external resources (terminologies, vocabularies etc...) and use them to annotate ontological content with their information. These plug-in (both the abstract one and its derived WordNet plugin), per se, is not platform dependant.

Unfortunately, the WordNet plug-in uses a DLL (windows dynamic link library) for accessing WordNet. This library has been developed for accessing wordnet 1.6.

From this (and only this) particular, it derives the strict compatibility with windows and wn1.6.

As far as I know, the plug-in is not maintained (but Jennifer Vendetti is by far a more authoritative source of information than me on this topic).

However, you could try to modify the code of the plugin and use another library for accessing wordnet, like the jwnl library:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/jwordnet/

which is compatible with all wordnets up to 2.0 (and with very simple code modification, up to last 2.1 version...)

The other possibility is to use OntoLing:

http://ai-nlp.info.uniroma2.it/software/OntoLing/

OntoLing uses a plug-in system on its own for loading different "linguistic interfaces" for accessing different kind of linguistic resources.

At present time, OntoLing has an interface for accessing WordNet (and other two interfaces for accessing two other available linguistic resources). More will come in the future (EuroWordNet, MultiWordNet etc...).

Current official release of OntoLing works fine under Protégé 3.1 (and previous releases), which is the last stable release of Protégé. I don't remember if it works under protégé 3.2beta as well; I'm currently working (in my spare time) on a new version of OntoLing which is currently beta and will be probably released on September. This version will include a few new features, so I'm currently not caring about porting the last official one to Prot3.2beta.

Last info, I'm quite confident that last version of OntoLing works under Linux and Mac as well (some friends of mine use it with these OS'), but I remember of a stupid path problem which prevented it to work on "case sensitive for paths" operating systems and which has been fixed probably in the beta version, but not in the last official release. Should you choose to use OntoLing, I suggest you to try the official version and, in case you get problems, ask me for the beta version.

> Is anyone aware of projects comparable to WordNet in other languages?

Yes, the above mentioned EuroWordNet. BalkaNet. MultiWordNet. (may be I'm missing others...)

> Best regards
>
> Steven Forth

Cheers,

Armando

[protege-owl] Re: How to use WordNet plugin?

Steven Forth
Thank You

Are there any East Asian projects that people are aware of?

Steven Forth

On 7/19/06, Armando Stellato <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Steven

> Subject: [protege-owl] Re: How to use WordNet plugin?
>
> Thanks Armando
>
> Two questions,
>
> Please Note: This plug-in only works on the Windows platform and only
> supports version 1.6 of WordNet.
>
> Is anyone working on a more general (portable) version of this code for
> UNIX and Linux based systems?

Ok, you have two possibilities.

First of all, the WordNet Tab plug-in, together with the UMLS Tab plug-in (both developed at Stanford) is an extension of an abstract plug-in (I don't recall the name) for accessing external resources (terminologies, vocabularies etc...) and use them to annotate ontological content with their information. These plug-in (both the abstract one and its derived WordNet plugin), per se, is not platform dependant.

Unfortunately, the WordNet plug-in uses a DLL (windows dynamic link library) for accessing WordNet. This library has been developed for accessing wordnet 1.6.

From this (and only this) particular, it derives the strict compatibility with windows and wn1.6.

As far as I know, the plug-in is not maintained (but Jennifer Vendetti is by far a more authoritative source of information than me on this topic).

However, you could try to modify the code of the plugin and use another library for accessing wordnet, like the jwnl library:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/jwordnet/

which is compatible with all wordnets up to 2.0 (and with very simple code modification, up to last 2.1 version...)

The other possibility is to use OntoLing:

http://ai-nlp.info.uniroma2.it/software/OntoLing/

OntoLing uses a plug-in system on its own for loading different "linguistic interfaces" for accessing different kind of linguistic resources.

At present time, OntoLing has an interface for accessing WordNet (and other two interfaces for accessing two other available linguistic resources). More will come in the future (EuroWordNet, MultiWordNet etc...).

Current official release of OntoLing works fine under Protégé 3.1 (and previous releases), which is the last stable release of Protégé. I don't remember if it works under protégé 3.2beta as well; I'm currently working (in my spare time) on a new version of OntoLing which is currently beta and will be probably released on September. This version will include a few new features, so I'm currently not caring about porting the last official one to Prot3.2beta.

Last info, I'm quite confident that last version of OntoLing works under Linux and Mac as well (some friends of mine use it with these OS'), but I remember of a stupid path problem which prevented it to work on "case sensitive for paths" operating systems and which has been fixed probably in the beta version, but not in the last official release. Should you choose to use OntoLing, I suggest you to try the official version and, in case you get problems, ask me for the beta version.

> Is anyone aware of projects comparable to WordNet in other languages?

Yes, the above mentioned EuroWordNet. BalkaNet. MultiWordNet. (may be I'm missing others...)

> Best regards
>
> Steven Forth

Cheers,

Armando

Steven Forth

[protege-owl] Re: How to use WordNet plugin?

starred
Hi,

I've heard many times about some wordnet-like project for asian languages, but I don't recall exact pointers.
Anyway, searching google for keys like asian wordnet, Chinese wordnet and so, returned me more than a link...unfortunately, they do not seem anything more than sporadic research works or other projects (like asian wordnet initiative) which have still not released anything concrete (but I've not gone beyond a half-a-minute search...).

The ELRA site seem to confirm it, as it has links to buy wordnet, eurowordnet, multiwordnet, balkanet and other eastern wordnets but, sorry, no asian wordnet still out there...

Anyway, for other exchange of information specifically related to wordnet and other LRs, maybe better we move out of the list, as we are getting quite off-topic :-)

Cheers,

Armando

Ing. Armando Stellato
AI Research Group,
Dept. of Computer Science, Systems and Production
University of Roma, Tor Vergata
Via del Politecnico 1 00133 ROMA (ITALY)
tel: +39 06 7259 7718/7334 (office);
     +39 06 7259 7332 (lab)
fax: +39 06 7259 7460
e_mail: [hidden email]

정영임
Hi Steven and Armando,

Korean Language Processing Laboratory at Pusan National University has been working on building KorLex (Korean WordNet) since 2003.

The web address is http://164.125.65.68/lrms
GWA site has this link to KorLex at 'Wordnets in the world' directory.
You can login as 'guest' (ID/PW). Unfortunately, the menu is not written in English.

Currently, KorLex is connected to Princeton WordNet and French WordNet, and contains Korean nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, and numeral classifiers.

If anyone is interested in KorLex, contact Prof. Aesun Yoon ([hidden email])

Youngim Jung
Korean Language Processing Laboratory, Pusan National University

On 7/21/06, Steven Forth <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank You

Are there any East Asian projects that people are aware of?

Steven Forth

On 7/19/06, Armando Stellato <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Steven

> Subject: [protege-owl] Re: How to use WordNet plugin?
>
> Thanks Armando
>
> Two questions,
>
> Please Note: This plug-in only works on the Windows platform and only
> supports version 1.6 of WordNet.
>
> Is anyone working on a more general (portable) version of this code for
> UNIX and Linux based systems?

Ok, you have two possibilities.

First of all, the WordNet Tab plug-in, together with the UMLS Tab plug-in (both developed at Stanford) is an extension of an abstract plug-in (I don't recall the name) for accessing external resources (terminologies, vocabularies etc...) and use them to annotate ontological content with their information. These plug-in (both the abstract one and its derived WordNet plugin), per se, is not platform dependant.

Unfortunately, the WordNet plug-in uses a DLL (windows dynamic link library) for accessing WordNet. This library has been developed for accessing wordnet 1.6.

From this (and only this) particular, it derives the strict compatibility with windows and wn1.6.

<a title="http://sourceforge.net/projects/jwordnet/" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://sourceforge.net/projects/jwordnet/" target="_blank">http://sourceforge.net/projects/jwordnet/

<a title="http://ai-nlp.info.uniroma2.it/software/OntoLing/" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://ai-nlp.info.uniroma2.it/software/OntoLing/" target="_blank"> http://ai-nlp.info.uniroma2.it/software/OntoLing/

OntoLing uses a plug-in system on its own for loading different "linguistic interfaces" for accessing different kind of linguistic resources.

At present time, OntoLing has an interface for accessing WordNet (and other two interfaces for accessing two other available linguistic resources). More will come in the future (EuroWordNet, MultiWordNet etc...).

Current official release of OntoLing works fine under Protégé 3.1 (and previous releases), which is the last stable release of Protégé. I don't remember if it works under protégé 3.2beta as well; I'm currently working (in my spare time) on a new version of OntoLing which is currently beta and will be probably released on September. This version will include a few new features, so I'm currently not caring about porting the last official one to Prot3.2beta.

Last info, I'm quite confident that last version of OntoLing works under Linux and Mac as well (some friends of mine use it with these OS'), but I remember of a stupid path problem which prevented it to work on "case sensitive for paths" operating systems and which has been fixed probably in the beta version, but not in the last official release. Should you choose to use OntoLing, I suggest you to try the official version and, in case you get problems, ask me for the beta version.

> Is anyone aware of projects comparable to WordNet in other languages?

Yes, the above mentioned EuroWordNet. BalkaNet. MultiWordNet. (may be I'm missing others...)

> Best regards
>
> Steven Forth

Cheers,

Armando