[protege-owl] Infinite loading by Protege 3.2 beta

[protege-owl] Infinite loading by Protege 3.2 beta

Raj M Verma
hi list,

I downloaded the wms.owl ontology from one of our posts at <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://protege.stanford.edu/mail_archive/attachments/wms.owl" target="_blank">http://protege.stanford.edu/mail_archive/attachments/wms.owl

I saved this on my hdd and then tried to open it by creating a new owl project from existing sources... but my Protege 3.2 beta, has thrown out an error in a small window titled "Unresolved import" with two buttons, Add Repository and Cancel, and the message in this window says...

The system cannot find the ontology:
http://www.daml.org/rules/proposals/swrlb.owl

Select 'Add Repository' to add a repository that contains
this ontology, or select 'Cancel' to stop loading and exit.

I'm not able to select any of these buttons b'cos there is another wondow wiht two processing bars that are trying to load and import... at this stage I can't even close the Protege... it simply goes on and on, all I have to do is stop this process from task manager...

I encountered this problem(indefinite loading) with another ontology(motorcycle parts ontology, which was also posted by one of our list members)... I'm attaching that file here... motorcylce parts ontology worked fine with my previous Protege 3.1, but has a opening problem with protege 3.2 beta, that I have downloaded and installed 2 weeks ago...

any solution for this problem!

cheers,
Raj.

03-MotorcycleParts.owl (58K) Download Attachment

[protege-owl] Re: Infinite loading by Protege 3.2 beta

Ronnie Valkky
hi Raj,

I tried it and encountered indefinite loading
= Protege OWL hangs up/dies/does nothing/
= you just have to kill it as a task

the reason might be that in software one of the following approaches would be neede to handle loading properly:
~  try..catch
~ try..catch..finally
~  try..catch..finally..(try..catch)
i.e. to be prepared to handle exception as they do come

a quick patch might be to prevent system to go to "indefinite loading"
and later on report reasons which caused loading to fail

you can  verify ontology before trying to load it into Protege

It displays for example:
Parse exception occurred while parsing http://www.vommond.de/wms.owl#.
com.hp.hpl.mesa.rdf.jena.model.RDFException: Nested Exception = java.net.UnknownHostException: www.vommond.de

I suppose, normally you would only get warnings.
However, I can be wrong,

cheers
Ronnie

cheers,
Raj.

[protege-owl] Re: Infinite loading by Protege 3.2 beta

Ronnie Valkky
Hi Raj,

I tried http://phoebus.cs.man.ac.uk:9999/OWL/Validator  to validate and it gave the following message:

URI: http://www.daml.org/rules/proposals/swrlb.owl Server Exception: IO troubles when reading from URL: http://www.daml.org/rules/proposals/swrlb.owl

However,  even if there are troubles such as IO problems caused by net/lan/hard disk...,
I think that Protege should not go to "indefinite loading" state.

cheers,
Ronnie