[protege-owl] Infinity problem when clicking Run ontology tests

[protege-owl] Infinity problem when clicking Run ontology tests

Ronnie Valkky
Hi all,

Protege 3.2. Build 241 hangs/dies/goes to infite state/once I activated Run ontology tests.

Projects was loaded ok & is OK with validators such as http://phoebus.cs.man.ac.uk:9999/OWL/Validator

In Protege windows it seems like it activates Jambalaya software and then nothing happens & ProtegeOWL GUI does not respond.

Could this have something to do with Jennifer's message
"We recently made some changes to Core Protege... The Jambalaya developers have not yet had time to implement..." ?

-Ronnie

Re: Infinity problem when clicking Run ontology tests

Nick Drummond
Hi Ronnie,

I've been using the tests mechanism without problems recently, but this
will depend on which tests are activated (and, if there is a bug in one
of them, perhaps the ontology would make a difference). I doubt this has
anything to do with Jambalaya (unless they also have tests - which I doubt).
Could you send me a screenshot or a list of which tests you have active
and I'll try to reproduce this - does this only happen with a particular
ontology or always?

Nick

--

Nick Drummond

Re: Infinity problem when clicking Run ontology tests

Ronnie Valkky
Thanks Nick,

You gave me the right direction !
analysis:
~  it is the test setting SPARQL Asserts which kills my Protege OWL GUI
(i.e. one has to restart Protege OWL)
~ other tests go ok, for example I can have all other tests selected expect
above test
~ it happens with ontology: www.icewaves.com/0001/owl/icewaves.owl
~ using http://owl.bbn.com/validator/  vOWLidator Progress looks ok and
vOWLidator Results looks ok.
~ using http://phoebus.cs.man.ac.uk:9999/OWL/Validator OWL Species
Validation Report look ok - it's OWL Full
environment:
~ Protege 3.2. build 243
~ j2sdk1.5
~ Protege.lax attached
continuation:
~ I can live with this for a while, but should software handle this in any
case without dying ?
~ are there any other tests I could run ?
~ the above OWL is Full; IS IT MACHINE READABLE ?

Ontology tests is a GOOD feature in Protege OWL once you get it to do
something for you !

Cheers,

Protege.lax (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Infinity problem when clicking Run ontology tests

Nick Drummond
Thanks for the detailed bug report.
I've reinstalled the release version of 243 and can load and test this
file with no problems (including SPARQL asserts).
Do you have to perform any other steps than just load and run the tests
to cause the exception?

Could you provide a copy of the exception you get

OWL Full is still machine readable - just not necessarily reasonable

Thanks

Nick

Ronnie Valkky wrote:

>Thanks Nick,
>
>You gave me the right direction !
>analysis:
>~  it is the test setting SPARQL Asserts which kills my Protege OWL GUI
>(i.e. one has to restart Protege OWL)
>~ other tests go ok, for example I can have all other tests selected expect
>above test
>~ it happens with ontology: www.icewaves.com/0001/owl/icewaves.owl
>~ using http://owl.bbn.com/validator/  vOWLidator Progress looks ok and
>vOWLidator Results looks ok.
>~ using http://phoebus.cs.man.ac.uk:9999/OWL/Validator OWL Species
>Validation Report look ok - it's OWL Full
>environment:
>~ Protege 3.2. build 243
>~ j2sdk1.5
>~ Protege.lax attached
>continuation:
>~ I can live with this for a while, but should software handle this in any
>case without dying ?
>~ are there any other tests I could run ?
>~ the above OWL is Full; IS IT MACHINE READABLE ?
>
>Ontology tests is a GOOD feature in Protege OWL once you get it to do
>something for you !
>
>Cheers,
>Ronnie

Hi Nick,

I don't do any other steps.

I did now the following steps now:
step1. start Protege OWL - OK
step2: open project - OK
step3. OWL/test settings to see that SPARQL Asserts was not selected, other
tests were selected  - OK
step4: OWL and run ontology tests  - OK
step5:  OWL/test settings; selected also  SPARQL Asserts   - OK
Step6: OWL and run ontology tests  - NOT OK
* empty small java window in the middle of the screen
* Protege OWL GUI dead
* no exception or new messages in Protege.exe Windows which starts Protege
OWL

Do I have to have Pellet or other reasoner running ?

Could it be Norton Firewall ?

Any log files to analyze ?

If we tested the same build and the same model, then it's got to be what ?

What is this SPARQL asserts ?  I have not yet used it and defined nothing
for it.

thanks
Ronnie

http://protege.stanford.edu/community/subscribe.html

> --
>
> Nick Drummond
>
> http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~drummond/ <http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/%7Edrummond/>

Re: Infinity problem when clicking Run ontology tests

Ronnie Valkky
Hi Nick,

More testing to find out why SPARQL asserts is the one and the only test,
which fails and kills Protege OWL:

+ Jena environment test OK in F:\sw\Jena-2.3 whcih is %JenaHome% i.e.
test.bat
set
CP=lib/antlr-2.7.5.jar;lib/arq.jar;lib/concurrent.jar;lib/icu4j_3_4.jar;lib/
jakarta-oro-2.0.8.jar;lib/jena.jar;lib/jenatest.jar;lib/junit.jar;lib/log4j-
1.2.12.jar;lib/commons-logging-api.jar;lib/commons-logging.jar;lib/xercesImp
l.jar;lib/xml-apis.jar;lib/stax-1.1.1-dev.jar;lib/stax-api-1.0.jar
java -version
java -classpath %CP% junit.textui.TestRunner
com.hp.hpl.jena.test.TestPackage

+ I can do ARQ both locally and to the web to access OWL ontology

+ I can use Pellet, for example
java -Xss4m -Xms30m -Xmx200m -classpath
F:\sw\Pellet-1.3-beta2\lib\pellet.jar
org.mindswap.pellet.dig.PelletDIGServer -port 8081

i.e. SEPARATELY IT LOOKS LIKE JENA/PELLET/SPARQL... work

Why does SPARQL asserts test fails in Protege OWL ?

cheers,
Ronnie