[protege-owl] OWL, SWRL and Jess

Eliecer Cadenas
Hello:

I'm using Protege in my Doctoral work. I'm developing and using
ontologies in grid environments in order to provide a high level
language to describe theories and check them over data sources. I have
found some troubles using these three tools:

- The SWRL tab isn't working in Protege 3.2, at least in the version I
got a couple of weeks ago. It displays a long message talking about
"The resource p1:listIntersection has the...."
- Because that I'm using Protege 3.1. In this case SWRL is ok. When I
try to activate the JessTab the first time it shows a tab with a red
rectangle. I close JessTab and the next time the JessTab opens
correctly.

I'm using this combination because I need to reason over concrete
domains. In order to check that everything is working ok I created the
following very simple ontology and one swrl rule:

AdultFemale subclass-of Female

Female has a property "has_Age" and the rule is:

Female(?x) and has_Age(?x,?y) and swrlb:greaterThan(?y,18) --> AdultFemale(?x)

I created an instance of Woman (Woman_4) and has_Age(Woman_4,32)

The I go to JessTab, I go to settings and check the boxes to watch
rules, activations and facts. Then I go to the console and try to
execute the following command:

(mapclass owl:Thing)

Sometimes it ends with an error message. Other times it finish. With
the very same information. I don't understand very well why it is
working in this way. I was waiting to see, when it ends the conclusion
that Woman_4 is also an AdultWoman. However when I try the following:

(class Woman_4)

I get....

Woman

Sorry for the long question. Anybody knows why it is working in this
way and why the errors.

Thanks.
Luis Eliecer

[protege-owl] Re: OWL, SWRL and Jess

Martin O'Connor

The editor components of the SWRLTab should work in all version of 3.2.
It now has direct Jess inference support (since build 322 from a few
weeks ago). Documentation is available on the Wiki:
http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SWRLTab

I cannot help you with the JessTab because I am not familiar with it.

Martin